shape
carat
color
clarity

Martini setting sizing from WF - Setter opinion needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gladstone

Rough_Rock
My earing stones are 5.40mm (0.61ct each or 1.22ct). For those of you familiar with Martini setting, should I go with the 1.00ct or 1.50ct martini setting from WF. Because my stones diameter is between the two pre-made settings, I am not sure which would be better.

WFER-AE400-52MM-WG $255.00
To hold approx 1.00ct Total Diamond Weight (5.20mm)

WFER-AE400-57MM-WG $280.00
To hold approx 1.50ct Total Diamond Weight (5.70mm)

When sized properly, it looks like this.

Right.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Are the stones from WF? If so, call them up and ask for their opinion...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
probably the larger ones though they may be able to squeeze them into the smaller. they would know for sure, i''d just ask them.

gladstone

Rough_Rock
When the setting is too big. The setter have no choice but wrap it around the diamond like below. This is what I want to avoid because it shows too much gold prongs.

These are not custom made for the stones size so I am not saying there is anything wrong with the way it was set. You only get the perfect look when the stones are 1.0 carat total weight or 1.5 ct. Anything in between you will have to pick the smaller or larger setting. My question is which is better? Any diamond setter?

It's more obvious with the one on right

BiggerSizeSetting.jpg

snlee

Ideal_Rock
They will probably make you go with the larger settings. I believe when I purchased my earrings from them, I went with the larger settings. I agree with others though, the best thing to do is give them a call.

I love the 3 prong Martini setting! It''s going to look great.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I just noticed that is a picture of my earrings you posted! I can tell you that in person, they look awesome. The prongs are not overpowering the diamond at all (these are around .35ct each), especially with just 3 prongs. On the ear it''s not noticeable at all. All I see is the beautiful ACA diamonds!

gladstone

Rough_Rock
Snlee,

Beautiful pictures... I saved them in my computer a while ago to convince my wife to go with the Martini settings.

Now that I have the owner of that picture telling me that it looks great, it put me at rest. Sometimes us here in PS are over analyze everything (because we shop online) and eveything is based on blow up pictures and SARIN analysis.

Thanks and I hope use don''t mind me using the pics without your permission :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also, you can ask WF to make sure your prong tips do not extend that much over the diamond if it bugs you. typically when things are set, the prongs can be shaved down shorter, so you can have less of the prong folding over the diamond. it''s just a matter of preference i would imagine. i have .38''s in martinis and i dont notice the prongs at all...i would tend to agree that stuff like that is not that noticeable in real life viewing!!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2006 3:27:57 PM
Author: gladstone
Snlee,

Beautiful pictures... I saved them in my computer a while ago to convince my wife to go with the Martini settings.

Now that I have the owner of that picture telling me that it looks great, it put me at rest. Sometimes us here in PS are over analyze everything (because we shop online) and eveything is based on blow up pictures and SARIN analysis.

Thanks and I hope use don''t mind me using the pics without your permission :)

gladstone, no problem! I feel honored that you saved a picture of my earrings. I love that picture that WF took that shows the little heart in the reflection.
1.gif

You have a lucky wife! I wish MY husband would save pictures to convince me to buy more jewelry. HA!

I understand, sometimes pictures are deceiving. The prongs can be very noticeable in pictures but in person they aren''t noticeable at all.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what heart snlee?!! i just spent 5 minutes looking...i feel like a dork. hehee.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
LOL. Mara, you are so funny!!

It''s on the left, really tiny, near the middle of the reflection. See it??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh wow what good eyes you have, i never would have caught that! very cool!

gladstone

Rough_Rock
I just want to buy the setting from them and have it set at the local jeweller. Do you know if the price on their website include setting work? It's kinda high with 14K gold

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Gladstone...are you just buying the settings from WF or the stones too? I wonder if WF custom makes each setting to fit the stone?

gladstone

Rough_Rock
I don''t think so. They buy the setting from someone else for sure.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
WF does have a handmade martini setting but I am not sure how they look up close. I would imagine those are made for your earrings specifically vs getting the cast martinis elsewhere. I have noticed that when the earrings are on my ear I can''t even see a side view so I don''t know that I''d pay extra for the handmade (though I love their 8 prong ones maybe if I had lots of extra dough!!)...but it''s a fun idea!!

path914

Rough_Rock
My opinion may be different from some of the others as I would suggest going with the smaller settings. 0.20mm is not really all that much smaller of a setting and most likely the prongs can be pushed out enough to accomodate your stones easily. If you get the larger settings, you run the risk of the gallery wire showing around the girdle of the stone and the prongs losing the correct angle by having to be pushed into a more vertical position to fit a smaller stone than the setting is intended for.

However, without having the settings in hand, it is very hard to just accurately. I would highly suggest calling WF and asking them as they would obviously have the most experience with their own settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results