shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise

DumbStruck

Rough_Rock
I have a girl that absolutely loves Marquise diamonds. We have been talking about getting engaged and her mom really wants me to just replace the diamond in her grandmothers engagement ring. Which i am fine with and she loves her grandmothers ring anyway. My trouble is i know nothing about diamonds and whats good or bad. I have read through a lot on the information here and it makes my head spin. Any advice on where to go and look for a diamond would be greatly appreciated.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/marquise-cut-diamond

Also, ask if she likes a fatter marquise or a long, slender one. They are different looks and will help you get the l/w ratio you are looking for if you know her preference.

You absolutely want to see a picture before you purchase the stone. Good old Gold (GOG) and James Allen are 2 good places to start as they have pics of all their stones. You can even contact GOG with specs and see if they can find you something, and they will also make a video for you of your choices so you can see how it looks in different lighting and how it performs. Also ask for ASET photos to see how well it's cut.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we'd need a lot more info before we could direct you. I'm guessing that since you want to replace the diamond and maintain the setting, you're going to have to decide on a vendor whom you're comfortable with, send the ring to them and let them source a stone that will fit. A photo of the setting would help. If it's a bezel set stone, there's a lot less leeway in the measurments that you'll need to replace the stone with. If it's prong set you *may* have a little more wiggle room. May I ask why her Mom wants you to replace the stone? Is she planning to keep it for sentimental reasons?

DumbStruck

Rough_Rock
She doesn't like the long skinny ones or the fat ones, the happy middle ones. Her mother does want to keep the stone for a necklace or something, i don't really know the reason behind it. It is a prong setting thats hold a round diamond thats a little over a carat. And they have a family jewler who will re-set it.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So the ring currently holds a round stone? If so, I'm not sure that you can modify it to put a marquise shaped stone in it, especially since it's an antique. I hope that someone with more expertise will chime in, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results