shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rufus05

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking for an engagement ring for a while now and I''ve found a local dealer that I trust. The only problem is I can''t find the center stone that I want.

I''m looking for a .75 ct stone, colorless, and very good cut with around a 2 l/w ratio.

The only problem is that the jeweler can only find VS1 and in my head I want a VVS1.

I feel like I want to stone to be as perfect as possible since I''m getting a smaller one. The ring will only be a size 4 so I only feel comfortable going up to a 3/4 ct or so.

What are you opinions? Is VVS1 a rare thing? Should I go with the VS1 because I know I won''t be able to tell the difference except on paper.

Thanks for you help and opinions.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i say don''t limit your options and keep an open mind. if you see the stone and are convinced you still need vvs, then do it. but don''t limit yourself too much, the search is hard enough as it is.

rufus05

Rough_Rock
You''re right. It''s definitely been a tough search and unfortunately nothing has come up. I''m not sure if this is possible, but are the any good websites or places that would have a large selection of quality diamonds. I have done several Google searchs but I continue to come up short because the diamonds in the size I am looking at often have poor measurements.

Thank you for your help.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would open the clarity search up to a VS2. You still won''t be able to see anything without a loupe (I can''t see anything in my VS2 pear WITH a loupe...!). It is hard to find well cut fancy stones and the VVS1 is overkill in a brilliant cut stone. In a step cut...well, it''s easier to see inclusions in those so it''s more of a concern there.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
don''t buy a VVS because it''s rare. if looking for rarity, donate money to buy a wildlife sanctuary or something.

good luck!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rufus05 and welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

It sounds like your rationale for a VVS stone is wanting something close to perfect. Honestly the differences between VVS and VS are extremely small and not worth the premium in a brilliant cut. You can't visibly see a difference, like you often can with color. If you are looking for "perfect" stay in the colorless range D, E, F. However, what is MUCH more important is that you get a stone that is CUT nicely.

Here are a few stones for reference - I can't comment on the cut quality because I know very little about marquise-cuts, other than all marquise-cuts have a bow-tie and you want it to be as small as possible.

0.74 F VS1 $2570

0.74 D VVS2 "Ideal" $3300

Rufus, are you the girl or guy? I ask because my girlfriend rec'd a marquise from her husband and never wears it. Her hubby's mother went shopping with him, so my girlfriend basically has her mother-in-law's dream ring in her jewelry box. I just want to check that you are clear about this shape. It's beautiful, but not for everyone.
2.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 12:18:33 PM
Author:rufus05

I feel like I want to stone to be as perfect as possible since I'm getting a smaller one. The ring will only be a size 4 so I only feel comfortable going up to a 3/4 ct or so.
If you are staying with a 3/4 carat due to money limitations, that is fine. However, I would not assume that something bigger than a 3/4 carat will look too big on a size 4 finger. If you have the money to spend on such high clarity, I would consider going bigger instead. Most women (not all) like to get the biggest they can, within reason.

I do not like to see any visible inclusions in my diamonds. My e-ring diamond (which is a 2 ct. marquise) is a VS2 and I can't see any inclusions with the loupe. I would also consider an eye clean SI1.

Marquises do show more color than other shapes, especially at the points. I prefer them in the colorless range (D E F).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results