shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise diamond for engagement

sman6891

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the game, so any help would be appreciated. based on the posts I've already read on this forum, I decided to look at James Allen, and found this diamond: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1373541.asp (they are holding it for me currently while they try to get me an ASET image).

I would like some advice on whether this diamond looks good, if there's anything I'm missing, etc. The cut seems great, and I don't notice anything obviously wrong about the stone, but would clearly love to tap into the expertise of the regulars on this forum.

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Certainly a high quality stone. Have you determined that the 1.84 to 1 length to width ratio is suitable for you? Have you examined different length to width ratios? Have you asked about who grades this diamond as "Ideal"?

sman6891

Rough_Rock
Hi there - thanks for your comment. We are indeed satisfied with the 1.84 L/W ratio. She has slender fingers, hence the preference for the Marquise, and a 1.84 ratio on a diamond makes it look hefty enough while maintaining the Marquise shape. Anything over 2 would be too skinny.

In terms of asking who grades diamonds as Ideal, would that be a question for JamesAllen? I always thought all diamond grades were standard, meaning an Ideal diamond is the same as every other Ideal diamond, just like an F diamond is an F diamond. I kindly request your help here. Thanks!

sman6891

Rough_Rock
Should I worry about the inclusion that's on the GIA report? It looks minor but I can't really tell. Also, is it an issue that the girdle is very thin to very thick? Thanks!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I looked at the GIA paper. Nothing on it tends to make the stone Ideal. Polsih is Very Good, and Symmetry is only Good. Those are not top grades and the rest is not graded except color and clarity. Maybe JA is using my AGA Cut Class grading, but it is not GIA graded that way. Ask them, I suppose.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks nice from the photo, I would definitely request an ASET image.

from JA website

Ideal Cuts are going to mostly refer to our selection of round diamonds. If a round diamond has depth and table percentages that are within the most preferred ranges, as well as polish and symmetry ratings of either Very Good , Excellent , or Ideal , then there is a very good chance that diamond will be listed in our Ideal category. On any given day there are several thousand round diamonds that are in the Ideal category, so finding plenty of round ideal-cut diamonds is generally not a problem. When it comes to fancy shapes though, (like princess, oval, emerald etc.) there are very few stones that fit into our Ideal category. This is because only a small number of fancy shapes will have both a polish and symmetry rating of Very Good , Excellent or Ideal . For this reason you should definitely include all of the cut grades in your search for any shape other than a round.

sman6891

Rough_Rock
Below is the ASET image - the JA gemologist says it's perfectly eye-clean as well. Any final thoughts or should I pull the trigger? Thanks!

1373541aset.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what a "good" marquise ASET might look like, but that one looks pretty good to me.. I like the clear facet outlines - no "mush under the wings"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sman6891|1304356356|2910114 said:
Hi there - thanks for your comment. We are indeed satisfied with the 1.84 L/W ratio. She has slender fingers, hence the preference for the Marquise, and a 1.84 ratio on a diamond makes it look hefty enough while maintaining the Marquise shape. Anything over 2 would be too skinny.

In terms of asking who grades diamonds as Ideal, would that be a question for JamesAllen? I always thought all diamond grades were standard, meaning an Ideal diamond is the same as every other Ideal diamond, just like an F diamond is an F diamond. I kindly request your help here. Thanks!

Actually, F is not always F.
Shocking as it is, many labs will give an F an E or a D grade.
They get away with it too.

Stones graded by these labs are "discounted" because they grade color and clarity in a, shall we say?, generous way.
People who fall for it think they are getting a great deal on thier EGL "F" compared to a stone that AGS or GIA graded F.
If that EGL "F" was graded by GIA or AGS it may get an H or even lower color grade. :nono:

BTW if I was shopping for a marquise cut I'd look at the used market.
That cut used to be the rage therefor one you like might currently be found in the used market at relatively low price.
Lucky you.

sman6891

Rough_Rock
Thanks Yssie! And kenny, your point is well-taken. An F diamond is not always an F diamond, much like a triple-A rated bond is not the same as other triple-A rated bonds ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, I certainly did not mean anything critical by marquise cut being the rage in the past.
No shape is better or worse.
It is 100% personal preference.

I just see what may be an opportunity for a great price considering the difference in marquise supply and demand 50 years ago compared to today.
I've even heard of people buying up marquise on eBay and cutting them into pears (which obviously must be lighter) and selling them for large profits.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results