shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise Diamond Advice -- Color vs Symmetry

irish921

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am stuck between two marquise diamonds. Looking for eye clean, around .75 carats with great proportions and light return (which both have). Things sticking out to me have been bolded.

Option 1: $2850

Carats: 0.8
Color: I
Clarity: IF
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 61%
No fluorescence
L/W Ratio: 1.9
Culet: None

This one has only surface graining in GIA report. Looks fantastic, but can see the slightly yellow tint when comparing directly.

Option 2: $2700

Carats: 0.73
Color: G
Clarity: VVS1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 56%
Faint fluorescence
L/W Ratio: 1.99
Culet: None

This one has a pinpoint and feather in the GIA report. Looks a TINY bit less brilliant to me, but looks whiter as well.

Overall, I think that the Option 1 looks more lively and is more symmetrical, but I am concerned about the I color vs the G color. I've heard that color more easily shows on marquise diamonds (this will be in a 6 prong halo setting). It faces up pretty white because the cut is so good but I can still tell side by side. Is this just a personal preference call or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
What are each stone's dimensions?

irish921

Rough_Rock
Option 1 is 9.33 x 4.9 x 3

Option 2 is 9.47 x 4.76 x 2.91

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
irish921|1466810189|4047825 said:
Option 1 is 9.33 x 4.9 x 3

Option 2 is 9.47 x 4.76 x 2.91

I would get Option #2, based on color (MQ's show more color) and dimensions. The G will be white, but the I will most definitely show tint.

irish921

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like color is just too big a difference to be ignored even if Option 1 is a bit more lively and has less bow tie.

Are Option 2s dimensions more appealing because it is a longer, narrower stone?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the kind of marquise you like. Some people prefer the fatter ones, and some the longer, skinnier ones. I like the fatter ones. I also need a higher color because marquises show color. How is the bow tie in each?

If you're going to put it in a halo, make sure that if you get the I, the jeweler making your halo kinda tries to get close in color. I think I would notice E,F colored melee next to an I stone. I would try to color match the melee to the stone.

irish921

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1466825512|4048021 said:
It depends on the kind of marquise you like. Some people prefer the fatter ones, and some the longer, skinnier ones. I like the fatter ones. I also need a higher color because marquises show color. How is the bow tie in each?

If you're going to put it in a halo, make sure that if you get the I, the jeweler making your halo kinda tries to get close in color. I think I would notice E,F colored melee next to an I stone. I would try to color match the melee to the stone.

Sorry, I mispoke in my original post. The setting will be a three stone, not a halo. It is here, just for reference: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/vintage/14k-white-gold-royal-antique-style-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-17424

In terms of bow-tie, there is almost no bow tie at all in the I colored one. The G colored one has just a slight bow-tie, but still imperceptible at a glance.

My main hang up is that the I colored one has better fire. It just sparkles more as it turns, perhaps because of the better symmetry. But I'm nervous that the better sparkle is going to be overshadowed by a noticeable yellow tint. James Allen has a picture of the above setting set with an I color marquise of about the same size. I'm on the fence as to whether I see yellow.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
irish921|1466828120|4048042 said:

Sorry, I mispoke in my original post. The setting will be a three stone, not a halo. It is here, just for reference: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/vintage/14k-white-gold-royal-antique-style-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-17424

In terms of bow-tie, there is almost no bow tie at all in the I colored one. The G colored one has just a slight bow-tie, but still imperceptible at a glance.

My main hang up is that the I colored one has better fire. It just sparkles more as it turns, perhaps because of the better symmetry. But I'm nervous that the better sparkle is going to be overshadowed by a noticeable yellow tint. James Allen has a picture of the above setting set with an I color marquise of about the same size. I'm on the fence as to whether I see yellow.

I'm going for the I color.
1. More fire. That will catch my eye more. I went from a F, VS1 to a K, VS1. I do notice the color difference, but I am happier with the fire on the K.
2. Almost no bow tie. Once I see a bow tie, I cannot UNSEE it. KWIM? And over time, I will just see it more and more. That's just me.
3. Fatter. I just prefer fatter marquise stones.
4. Make sure your side stones aren't higher than an H, if you're concerned about color. I would consider pear shaped sides. Rounds to me do not compliment a marquise as much.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom|1466830315|4048059 said:
irish921|1466828120|4048042 said:

I'm going for the I color.
1. More fire. That will catch my eye more. I went from a F, VS1 to a K, VS1. I do notice the color difference, but I am happier with the fire on the K.
2. Almost no bow tie. Once I see a bow tie, I cannot UNSEE it. KWIM? And over time, I will just see it more and more. That's just me.
3. Fatter. I just prefer fatter marquise stones.
4. Make sure your side stones aren't higher than an H, if you're concerned about color. I would consider pear shaped sides. Rounds to me do not compliment a marquise as much.

As someone who JUST committed to a chubby I marquise, I agree with LLJsmom in every way.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you provide links to the stones so we can see the lack of bow-ties and how they are reflecting light?
(put them on hold first)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm I like how the I looks in the video better, but... I think I'd want confirmation that the marquise doesn't show color towards the tips.
Where is the diamond located? Can they call it in and look at it personally?

I'm normally a gal that rocks K colored rounds and EC with fluorescence, however for my marquise, I went extra high color - E - because of the marquise shape tending to show color towards the tips and because I was contemplating setting the stone in yellow gold (which I ultimately went with).

irish921

Rough_Rock
They could not call it in to look at the tips. I did learn, however, that the side stones in the setting I want are either G or H color (both better than I). That makes me a little bit uneasy about picking a lower color grade for the center stone.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to do this but find out if the diamond is in the US, preferably near NY. Work with a vendor that is willing to call diamonds in for you. I've purchased virtual stones from IDJ and BGD before, and both vendors called in stones to personally inspect for me. IDJ has been knocking it out of the park for me lately, so I would recommend giving them a call or email if you want to...

I worked with IDJ for my last three diamond acquisitions because they can call in the virtual diamonds, look at them in person, and give me images. My most recent stone I actually found on JA. I tried the chat with diamond expert and all they did was tell me info based in the pic/video and GIA report. Since my stone is an SI2, that was not enough to put me at ease regarding how eye clean the inclusions are and whether they posed a durability issue. Also, the diamond is an I and I wanted to make sure it faces up white. I ended up calling IDJ and having them call the diamond in.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the faceting pattern and shape of the "I". I was pretty surprirsed to see that it was an "I". The points dont look yellow and
the side view doesnt look yellow but that's just on my monitor. It looks to be a very bright stone. I wish they could call it in for you.

irish921

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1466885253|4048305 said:
I prefer the faceting pattern and shape of the "I". I was pretty surprirsed to see that it was an "I". The points dont look yellow and
the side view doesnt look yellow but that's just on my monitor. It looks to be a very bright stone. I wish they could call it in for you.

Yea, they told me that it wasn't in New York. It's just so difficult to tell on a computer monitor whether the tint is noticeable/is going to bother me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results