shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquis help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msmithmomx2

Rough_Rock
I am in the process of picking out a semi-mount to go with my new .73 RB hearts and arrows, G, VS2, diamond. The setting that I am looking at has two marquis side stones and will be set like this <>(RB)<>. I have two in mind. One has .12 stones on each side and the other has .25 stones on each side. My dilemma is that I''m afraid that the .12 side stones might be too small and the .25 might be too big and over power the diamond. Once I buy the setting, there are no returns since it is custome made. I was hoping that someone with some experience in designing rings or setting stones can give me an opinion on which would look better proportioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
wavey.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Three things to keep in mind and help you select right.

1. Do you have tiny fingers? Less than size 4. Or do you have wide fingers? over size 8. That will make a difference in what would look right.

2. Do you intend to angle the stones upward to the girdle of the center stone or will they be rather flat and in line with the plane of the finger? Angled up, the stones can be longer than if they are laid relatively flat. Also, angled up, you are less likely to catch the outer, pointy ends of the marquise settings on cuffs and clothing.

3. FInally, do you have the measurements of the side stones? Espcially the lengths. Just because they weigh 2 times more does not mean they will be twice as long. They won't. Compare the measurements before you choose.

I hope that helps you figure out a process to make this decision easier.

msmithmomx2

Rough_Rock
I wear a size 6.5 ring. I think the side stones are set more flat than tilted upwards. I have pics of the two settings but of course it's impossible to tell from those since they only show the ring from the top. I will have to contact the jewler for the measurements of the smaller stones. I know the larger ones are 6mmx3mm. This middle stone has a diameter of 5.78mm. I'm thinking that the 6x3 stones will overpower the middle which is not what I want. I will post again when I found out the measurements of the .12 stones. Thanks so much for your help!

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/26/2003 2:24:10 PM msmithmomx2 wrote:

I wear a size 6.5 ring. I think the side stones are set more flat than tilted upwards. I have pics of the two settings but of course it's impossible to tell from those since they only show the ring from the top. I will have to contact the jewler for the measurements of the smaller stones. I know the larger ones are 6mmx3mm. This middle stone has a diameter of 5.78mm. I'm thinking that the 6x3 stones will overpower the middle which is not what I want. I will post again when I found out the measurements of the .12 stones. Thanks so much for your help!
----------------

I don't know if this will help or not, but www.tradeshop.com has a chart that gives sizes/weights for typical diamonds, both center stones and accents. Look for accent diamonds, and click on "see chart." This chart indicates that a .12ct marquise would be 1.5 x 3.5 mm.

I don't have experience designing rings or setting stones, but my wife's wedding ring is the same style as what you are describing, so maybe my consumer's viewpoint might mean something to you. She has a .57ct RB flanked by two .05ct marquises set in yellow gold. When she found this ring twenty years ago, she knew it was the one she wanted, and has loved it ever since. In my opinion, the .05ct marquises could be a bit bigger without distracting from the center stone, but probably not more than about .10ct. Since your center stone is somewhat larger than hers(probably 0.3-0.4 mm), I think that the .12ct side stones would look about right. I also think that the .25ct diamonds would be too big. The 6 mm length would be longer than the diameter of the center stone. If a size in between is a possibility, you might consider a pair of .15ct or even .18ct marquises. But I really think that we are talking personal preference here, and in this case, it's your preference that counts! Best of luck with your decision--hope this at least helps a little!

Dave

msmithmomx2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recommendation Dave! I agree with you all the way. We have decided to just wait on the semi-mount for now. We hope to upgrade the stone again in a few years and I feel like the .12's will definitely be too small then. I also agree that the .25's will probably be too big for the stone that I have now. So I'm gonna wait. I don't want my fiance to have to pay for two settings. He's already done more than he should have considering he is in college right now. I'm so glad to meet someone who has seen this in person. I can't find one to view myself. I've only seen it online. I feel in love with it the moment I saw it and I know it's the right ring for me...just not the right time right now. Thanks again for responding!!!!!!!!!!!!
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results