shape
carat
color
clarity

Marlborough Intergem Show

adom

Rough_Rock
Looking to attend the Intergem show Nov 6 - 8.

How possible is it to walk into this show and find a good diamond, mount, and get it set all in one day?

Trying to do some research in advance to be well prepared.

Have bought a 10x loupe, and am contemplating buying an idealscope and an aset scope for additional stone assessment. Thoughts in this?

Is there typically an independent appraiser available at these shows?

For on-the-fly price assessment, I have the pricescope diamond search open in my phone (they should consider making an app), am thinking of buying a single month of Rapnet, and came across pricing sheets on a site called ajediam. Any pointers on this?

Any advice/pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all of you who are much more experienced in these transactions.

adom

Rough_Rock
sorry for bumping this post and I will only do it this once. I am surprised there have been no comments on any aspects of my post.

Have a good day! :)

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
Can't speak specifically to Marlborough, but I've been to Intergem several times in different cities. There's a mix of honest, good vendors and then some not as honest ones. I looked at probably 30 stones yesterday and very few were PS level stones - lots of inclusions, mediocre cuts, etc. A few nice ones though, IMO.

I've bought colored stones and set them there, but in my experience (others can chime in on this), the benchwork is not nearly as good when they're trying to crank out as many rings as possible same day.

Intergem - just to me at least - is a good place to look at lots of different stones to get an idea of what you like. For the actual purchase and setting of an ering, I would just go with one of the preferred PS vendors.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck!

adom

Rough_Rock
Trailblazer,

Thanks for the reply. That is unfortunate that you found the gem show to be limited in its offerings.

My current plans are still to go, but I'll spend some extra time finding internet options so if the gem show is a bust, I have alternatives ready.

Given you attended, have any advice on how you would approach things? Am I crazy to contemplate buying an Ideal or Aset scope?

The three names from that show for which I could actually find positive information on the internet are Berj Kouyoumhian Jewelry, Petri Gems, and Supreme Gems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results