shape
carat
color
clarity

Marks on ring and approx age

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
This ring is available at a pawnbroker here in Australia.

It seems to have a mark of 333 on it. Searching seems to say this was 8CT gold and the minimum gold standard in Germany from the late 1800s.

Anyone hazard to guess at its age/vintage? Are the stones likely to be diamond? They are just listed as white stones.

s ct 2.jpg 8ct.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Not an expert by any stretch, but they could also be white spinel which was a common substitute. If the stones are abraded uniformly they will be spinel, sapphire or the like most likely.
The exact dating is harder to pin down because it has no stamp or design 'quirks' to signify the era.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @ItsMainelyYou do you think it is a modern ring or likely to be say pre 1960s?

I have just been looking for cheap dainty vintage rings

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
There's a very good chance it is, especially looking at wear patterns.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
You are awesome thank you

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
The same pawn shop has another ring and I was thinking of trying to get a discount on both.

I am not sure of the size of stones or even if they are diamonds. There is some damage to the underside. Can people tell me what they think? What would be a reasonable price to pay for them do you think'

They are both size 0 1/2 if that helps for estimating stone size. Deco 1.jpg Deco 3.jpg Deco 2.jpg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The second ring has a bad repair. It may even have lead in the repair compound. That was used at times. Looks like it's a straight gob of soder to repair. Very messy and expensive to fix relative to ring value.

Stamp is 18kt and likely palladium, for the top. I have not seen palladium abbreviated like that much before, but it's probably palladium with that mark. Palladium was used widely in the 1930's and 1940's when platinum wasn't available due due to military use. It is an alternative metal. It's probably very late deco to early retro for age.

Last edited:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @elizat i thought as much the ring is selling for about $120 USD but I imagine the repairs make it a poor choice

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @elizat i thought as much the ring is selling for about $120 USD but I imagine the repairs make it a poor choice

If you were to get it just to salvage the diamonds, if in good shape, maybe? They look no bigger than 3.5 or 4 mm each, just guessing. Maybe smaller?

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
You have a superior eye to me @elizat I am actually not sure the listings aren’t very good and fail to show measurements I will email and ask for the diamond measurements

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d be very surprised if the Pawnbroker doesn’t have a Presidium to test for diamonds. So unless they are the exception I’d guess the white gems are either white sapphire or white topaz.
If you’re just paying a bit more than melt weight (gold value) and you like the ring, Why not buy it.
The second ring seems to have had an “at home” repair with the soldering iron from the garage! Getting it better repaired will probably be more than you’d care to spend. So I’d probably pass on that unless it is bargain price.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Bron357 I think you are in Australia too aren't you?

I don't think I love it enough at that price with the damage if it isn't diamonds. I have asked the question and I am awaiting a response. It is hard to find Vintage jewellery to fit my meaty fingers.

I am thinking, and both yourself and @elizat are probably excellent people to ask, what jewellery inspecting equipment is useful for a rank novice like myself? I just want something that will let me look close up to see damage etc. I am not looking at going into the whole gem assessing (although I am considering a gem course here in Australia as I can see it becoming a real hobby)

Is a loupe useful for someone who knows what straws and carbon spots etc look like ? Maybe something to check the size of diamonds/gems in settings (hard to get true weight I know)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would get a loupe and a set of digital calipers. Amazon will have both. Both are very handy to have! That way you can check things up close and measure as well. You can look for prong damage, see makers marks better, etc. All useful things!

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @elizat so appreciated. I am really enjoying reading all the threads and learning from everyone on here who is so experienced and knows so much. I think I spend more time on here than with my family at the moment :razz:

Any particular brand of caliber? I was going to go with the Belomo 10x loupe

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results