shape
carat
color
clarity

"Mark T" Cushion Cut vs August Vintage Cushion Diamond

aja6556

Rough_Rock
I've been doing a good bit of reach on here, I don't know where I'd be without this site, probably clueless with buyers remorse. So thank you all in advance.

My budget for the main stone is around $5500 and determined I will need to stay between .9-1.5ct and I want to get the best bang for my buck but I realize size isn't everything. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two stones due to optics, cut, and symmetry yet not compromising on size. One from GOG and one from BE. I realize both are going to be good choices, and I know one is vintage and the other is modern, but I don't think I give preference to either.
'
1.12ct LVS1L Cushion - August Vintage Cut
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10010/

.92ct IVS2 Cushion "Mark T" Cut
http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/0.92-carat-i-vs2-mark-t-modern-cushion-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-23849.html

Both are about the same price. Both are cut exceptionally well. Both are coming from reputable companies. I know one is bigger than the other than the other, but aside from that which one is superior? Which one would you pick and why?

Does anyone on the forum have a "Mark T"cut diamond?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if this isnt for you,unless youve been told otherwise, I wouldnt drop down to an L.

So for that reason I pick the Mark T

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
You didn't mention color and that can be an important factor. Have you seen an L in person? There will be a difference between an I and an L.

I have a definite preference for the crisp, large facets of the AVC, but it is a personal preference - much like color.

Good luck with your decision!

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
They face up the same size, so I would pick the I over the L as the carat weight difference isn't visible when viewing the stone face up. I also like the facet pattern on the I.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly prefer the AVC, except I would probably not go that low in color for an engagement ring. This one faces up larger than the L and is just a little more:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12410/

Maybe you can get them to make a video to show the face up color compared to an I color.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I far prefer the facet pattern on the AVC, as long as the wearer is ok with an L, that would be my choice. Or, of course, the K that DS suggested.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I strongly prefer the Mark T cushion. It is an AGS0 cushion with ideal light performance like the AVC. So that's equal.

The Mark T is just an beautiful modern cushion and I adore the faceting on it and the outline. I dislike the strong maltese cross under the table of the AVCs. And find them distracting in person.

I also would not go down to a K in an engagement ring, let alone an L. I think I color is much safer and frankly a better value.

The Mark T cushions were designed by Yoram, one of the cutters that post on this board and are exceptional. Plus they have GREAT spread.

That .92 Mark T faces up at 6mm. And even the K that Diamondseeker posted only faces up at 6.1. Which is not a visual difference (.2 is a visual difference). What IS a visual difference is K versus I color.

So for all those reasons the Mark T cushion wins hand down for me.

aja6556

Rough_Rock
I was concerned with color, and it does matter to a degree.

Mark also recommended this modern cushion as a less expensive alternative. 1.01 Carat H-VS2 X factor

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.01-carat-h-vs2-x-factor-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-25107.html
The ASET looks good on it. And it seems to be a good value.

My issue now becomes do I go with the 1.01 X factor which seems to be cut very well and is a great choice too....or do I spend $1500 more to get the .92 Mark T? Do you all think it is worth spending $1500 extra for when compared to the 1.01 X factor? Wondering if there will be a noticeable difference at the end of the day.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The X factor is heavier but it faces up at only 5.7mm.

I would say, IMO that the Mark T is worth the 1,500. Also it is brighter under the table.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark T. The X factor, as I mentioned before is too dark under the table for me.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1411577743|3756388 said:
I strongly prefer the Mark T cushion. It is an AGS0 cushion with ideal light performance like the AVC. So that's equal.

Do you think that all AGS 0(lp) cushions have the same light performance and are therefore equal in that respect?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1411591370|3756526 said:
Mark T. The X factor, as I mentioned before is too dark under the table for me.

+1

No contest. The Mark T has a higher crown as well, and it is just a better stone in every respect. I wouldn't go under 6mm, either. I don't like modern cushions in general, but this is better than the vast majority of them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MelisendeDiamonds|1411595079|3756544 said:

Do you think that all AGS 0(lp) cushions have the same light performance and are therefore equal in that respect?

Within the range of AGS0 there are usually some individual stones that are slightly better than some others. But aside from that, in general, AGS0's are comparable to one another.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1411599504|3756576 said:

Within the range of AGS0 there are usually some individual stones that are slightly better than some others. But aside from that, in general, AGS0's are comparable to one another.

The AGSL system for fancies was never designed to make comparisons between its top grade of 0 across different facet designs. It is designed to compare one stone to a "theoretical ideal" for its very specific facet design.

The stones being compared have very different physical facet structures leading to different average virtual facet size (flash size) and will have markedly different light return signatures.

I disagree with you that it is possible to assign a subjective equality to the light return abilities of these two different cutting styles based on the AGSL grading reports and I doubt the lab itself would support your statement.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MelisendeDiamonds|1411650443|3756782 said:
Gypsy|1411599504|3756576 said:

The AGSL system for fancies was never designed to make comparisons between its top grade of 0 across different facet designs. It is designed to compare one stone to a "theoretical ideal" for its very specific facet design.

The stones being compared have very different physical facet structures leading to different average virtual facet size (flash size) and will have markedly different light return signatures.

I disagree with you that it is possible to assign a subjective equality to the light return abilities of these two different cutting styles based on the AGSL grading reports and I doubt the lab itself would support your statement.

Good information. I stand corrected. Thank you!

aja6556

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I probably will go with the MarkT. But do you all think there is a chance I'll find a better cut diamond elsewhere, or is this one the highest quality as it gets for under 6k? Brian Gavin seemed to have some good cut stones? Where else should I be looking and comparing when looking for a special exceptionally cut diamond?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's an exceptional stone. Brian gavin's stones are hearts and arrows. So they just look like square rounds. If you like that look, that's great. I personally am not a fan. If I am buying a cushion I want it to look like a cushion.

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock
Hello aja6556! I'm just wondering whether you did end up getting the Mark T if you don't mind my asking? I'm intrigued by the cut and would love to hear your feedback if possible!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results