shape
carat
color
clarity

Mark Morrell Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am really leaning towards Mark Morrell for my setting. I adore his work. What I am wondering is this..... I am only able to get a .75 diamond just now but in the future I will definitely be upgrading. Would I send the ring back to Mark to have the new diamond set into my existing ring? Would it be as expensive as the initial cost of the setting?

Thanks
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you're planning on upgrading anytime soon I wouldn't spend the money on a MM. There is a good chance that the setting will not work for your bigger stone and you'll end up having to start over. Mark makes his setting specifically for the stone he's using and the heads are normally incorportated into the band in some way, so an easy head change for a bigger diamond probably won't work.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh poo - I didn''t know that. Good job I asked now then lol.... save myself some big money! Thanks Mrs S
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh just thought of a compromise - how about I get a MM Sunburst setting just now and then spend the big bucks in a couple of years when I upgrade? It works for me
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 10:04:44 AM
Author: Maisiebelle
Oooh just thought of a compromise - how about I get a MM Sunburst setting just now and then spend the big bucks in a couple of years when I upgrade? It works for me
36.gif
you mean the sunburst would be a temp setting?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would be a temp setting. I know I could get something a lot cheaper but I really love this setting and I may end up keeping it for a lot longer and saving for my forever diamond. That way I would get a lot of use out of it. Its approx $1600 which isn't that much if you look at the prices of most settings.....

Once I get my forever diamond I am going to stay away from PS - you lot are a bad influence lol!!!

Maisie

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 10:14:29 AM
It would be a temp setting. I know I could get something a lot cheaper but I really love this setting and I may end up keeping it for a lot longer and saving for my forever diamond. That way I would get a lot of use out of it. Its approx $1600 which isn''t that much if you look at the prices of most settings.....

Once I get my forever diamond I am going to stay away from PS - you lot are a bad influence lol!!!

Maisie
bad influence? ha! i don''t know too many that have a sunburst temp setting!
37.gif

high roller maisie in the house!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe - move over for big fat moneybags maisie!! I just emailed my hubby about it and he was like - yeah ok whatever!! I think he is sick of hearing about this now!!

9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 10:19:07 AM
hehe - move over for big fat moneybags maisie!! I just emailed my hubby about it and he was like - yeah ok whatever!! I think he is sick of hearing about this now!!

9.gif
that''s why you have us! we''re never sick of hearing about it!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol and I am so grateful too!!

He just emailed again and said '' I will agree on the condition that when you upgrade we go to Whiteflash together and pick out the new diamond in person'' I''m not gonna argue with that!!! New rock and a holiday - Yey!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 10:26:22 AM
lol and I am so grateful too!!

He just emailed again and said '' I will agree on the condition that when you upgrade we go to Whiteflash together and pick out the new diamond in person'' I''m not gonna argue with that!!! New rock and a holiday - Yey!!!
sounds like a plan!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I have been promising/threatening to come over there for ages lol!

bfready

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 9:52:23 AM
Author:Maisiebelle
I am really leaning towards Mark Morrell for my setting. I adore his work. What I am wondering is this..... I am only able to get a .75 diamond just now but in the future I will definitely be upgrading. Would I send the ring back to Mark to have the new diamond set into my existing ring? Would it be as expensive as the initial cost of the setting?

Thanks
1.gif
I may be a little late with this reply, but I had the same question for Mark when deciding on a setting while shopping for a .75 stone. Here is Mark''s reply to my email regarding upgrades:

"The crown of the ring is made to fit the specific stone that you select. If you changed the stone drastically, you would need a new crown, possibly a new ring."

I''ve decided to go with Mark''s Flame for my gf''s ering. In the future, she''ll just get a new piece of jewelry. I feel like the ering, even if it''s a little small in the future, will have enough sentimental value that we won''t want to change it.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 10:42:08 AM
Author: bfready

Date: 3/15/2007 9:52:23 AM
Author:Maisiebelle

Thanks
1.gif
I may be a little late with this reply, but I had the same question for Mark when deciding on a setting while shopping for a .75 stone. Here is Mark''s reply to my email regarding upgrades:

''The crown of the ring is made to fit the specific stone that you select. If you changed the stone drastically, you would need a new crown, possibly a new ring.''

I''ve decided to go with Mark''s Flame for my gf''s ering. In the future, she''ll just get a new piece of jewelry. I feel like the ering, even if it''s a little small in the future, will have enough sentimental value that we won''t want to change it.
I think I will probably just buy a whole new setting too when the upgrade happens. Who knows what gorgeous settings will be available then
1.gif

Thank you for your response. Its much appreciated.

Maisie

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Lucky Maisie, I think this is a wonderful compromise. It will mean you will always love your e-ring no matter what. And when you upgrade, you can get a custom MWM ring. :)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou Litebrite! I feel really lucky! We have waited a while to do this so its brilliant its getting closer. Have you seen Belles ring in Show me the Ring? I really love that and maybe I will have something like that made when its time to upgrade
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m excited for you Maisie!!!!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooooooooooooh me too!!!! I actually have butterflies in my tummy. I have sat here all day just thinking and deciding!!!!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, your plans are exciting! But I'll have to say I'd recommend getting a nice white gold temporary setting and go with Mark Morrell only for the final ring. I just can't see buying custom platinum for a temporary ring.

(ETA: think about it...if you spend $600 as opposed to $1600 for the sunburst, you have a THOUSAND more dollars to put toward the DIAMOND!!!)

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 3:22:52 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Maisie, your plans are exciting! But I''ll have to say I''d recommend getting a nice white gold temporary setting and go with Mark Morrell only for the final ring. I just can''t see buying custom platinum for a temporary ring.

(ETA: think about it...if you spend $600 as opposed to $1600 for the sunburst, you have a THOUSAND more dollars to put toward the DIAMOND!!!)
Yeah, that is probably the best option!

Plus, I was always under the impression that MWM creates his ring shanks AND prongs dependent upon the diameter/size of the stone he is setting and the size of the finger it will be going onto. I think that is why his stuff always looks so proportional because even his copyrighted rings are still custom.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie, your plans are exciting! But I''ll have to say I''d recommend getting a nice white gold temporary setting and go with Mark Morrell only for the final ring. I just can''t see buying custom platinum for a temporary ring.

When I say temporary I think its going to be a few years. We have a big trip planned and we are going to renew our vows. I think Gary is going to buy me a new diamond wedding ring too so this ring may have to last a while. I will be upgrading it but probably not for about 3 years. I am hoping to keep the MM setting and have a pink sapphire put it in rememberance of our daughter who died a two and a half years ago.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 3:38:48 PM

When I say temporary I think its going to be a few years. We have a big trip planned and we are going to renew our vows. I think Gary is going to buy me a new diamond wedding ring too so this ring may have to last a while. I will be upgrading it but probably not for about 3 years. I am hoping to keep the MM setting and have a pink sapphire put it in rememberance of our daughter who died a two and a half years ago.
Good for you, Maisiebelle...get that MM setting to enjoy now! Who knows where you''ll be or what you''ll want three or more years from now...

widget

bfready

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 3:35:46 PM
Author: kev_800

Yeah, that is probably the best option!

Plus, I was always under the impression that MWM creates his ring shanks AND prongs dependent upon the diameter/size of the stone he is setting and the size of the finger it will be going onto. I think that is why his stuff always looks so proportional because even his copyrighted rings are still custom.
This is true. I was afraid the proportions wouldn''t look right on my stone because it''s quite a bit smaller than the rings pictured on Mark''s site, but he assured me that everything will be proportioned down to fit my stone. Mark doesn''t even have my diamond yet, but I just know the finished product will look perfect.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Make sure you post lots of pics when you get it!!! I shall be waiting with bated breath!
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 3:38:48 PM

(((((maisiebelle)))))

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as you really like the $1600 MM setting, you could always set a colored stone in it someday after you upgrade. Also, you could probably get a decent amount for the setting alone (half maybe??) if you sold it at pearlmans later on since it''s a designer piece. If you were planning on upgrading sooner than a few years, I''d probably suggest a cheaper setting...but a few years is a long time.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Very late to the thread, but just wanted to share my experience.

I have a MWM ring from about 5 years ago (cathedral style, teeny diamonds). The 96 pointer it used to hold was sold a couple of years ago. Recently, I checked with Mark about modifying the setting to hold a 2 carat stone. He told me he would basically have to rebuild the ring and change out the head. The cost to do this was less than what I would have to pay for the same setting if I bought a brand new one today, but about the same as what I paid for 5 years ago.

I am kind of in a similar situation now, Maisiebelle. I''m hoping the 2 carat stone I''m considering will not be my forever diamond, but I do not anticipate upgrading anytime soon (at least 5 years). After careful consideration, I think that a nice setting would be totally worth it if I amortized it over 5 years, not to mention the joy I would derive from havng a gorgeous setting complement a beautiful stone.

Mark''s settings are in a league of its own. I was perfectly okay with selling my diamond, but I couldn''t part with the setting knowing how hard it is to find something that came close to it in terms of execution and quality.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou Cehra - I''m sort of ok with Madisons death now but sometimes it knocks me down again.

Kcoursolle I really love the MM setting. Actually its the only setting I have shown my husband that he really loves so I guess its the one! It would be worth it for a few years - you are right!
1.gif

Boom I totally agree - any MM setting is worth the money. I haven''t seen anything that comes up to his standards anywhere else which is why I am willing to spend the extra money. I don''t know what our finances will be like in a few years so buying this now makes sense
9.gif
Plus I want a diamond wedding band which I think is going to set us back quite a lot of money lol!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I am sorry about Madison. I think your idea is a great one if your husband is onboard. Get something great and beautiful to enjoy and then when you go larger, a nice pink sapphire is a beautiful idea for her.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou - I have been trying to think of the right stone to use for a while and I kept coming back to pink. Pink sapphires are so pretty.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results