shape
carat
color
clarity

"mandarin garnet help"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ellybelly

Rough_Rock
I purchased a $5100 mandarin garnet on gem shopping network last night. It''s a 6.7 carat portuguese round in .71 carat tw diamond mounting. Does anybody think it is too much for a mandarin garnet? If anyone owns any mandarins, please let me know. thanks
Ellen

nicky newark

Rough_Rock
They have been hyping "mined out Mandarin garnet" for years. This 5.41 cushion from Palagems is $2164. Take whatever these gem shopping host''s say with a grain of salt.

10109.jpg

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 7:54:05 PM
Author:ellybelly
I purchased a $5100 mandarin garnet on gem shopping network last night. It''s a 6.7 carat portuguese round in .71 carat tw diamond mounting. Does anybody think it is too much for a mandarin garnet? If anyone owns any mandarins, please let me know. thanks
Ellen
Ellen, I have purchased some mandarin garnet pieces from Gem shopping and a memo piece from JTV.I was pleased with both. I plan on having them appraised later this month.That is something you are not going to find in retail and it is such a beautiful stone. I think my JTV ring is 4.22ct oval & 1ct. pave set diamonds all over the mounting. From GSN I have a heart 5.02ct. & .50ct. diamond pendent & a ring with 2.50ct & .35ct. diamonds.I also hade some lever back earrings made.

Your mandarin is a big one and I am sure the diamonds are of good quality.I would love to have a portuguese round.I bet it will jump out at you.Did you purchase it as a finished piece or did you buy them separate?Please post some pics when you get it.I would love to see it.I just know it would will be beautiful! I don''t think that is too much for what you got.But that is just me....

Connie

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,

Your ring sounds beautiful. Please post pictures when you receive it ok?

Linda P.S. I purchase from GSN a Colombian Emerald and diamond ring, It is gorgeous. I had it appraised. It appraised 4x more then what I paid for it, it might have been more, I would have to dig out the paperwork.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Ellie,
Your question is similiar to my first interaction on pricescope. There are other threads dealing withthe prices of spessertine garnet where several experts gave their opinions. I read that before Nigerian mines were open the price was $700.00 per carat.(from Nambia) Prices then fell, but the mines have been mined out and now only have small material coming out of them.
From what others said retail prices are $1800.00 per carat. I myself was skeptical but was told this was true. If that is the case you have have done fine for yourself. The Pala gems stone, while beatiful isn''t really much cheaper. After all you got the setting with 71 pts of diamonds along with the stone. Like Linda and Connie, I have several, not as large, but think they are beautiful. If anyone has other updated knowledge, please let us know.
i agree with Nicky that the TV companies are always telling you some mine or other is running out, but I have only heard that about manderin garnet somewhat recently.
Good luck with that beautiful ring.
Annette

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2006 3:26:55 PM
Author: smitcompton
Dear Ellie,
Your question is similiar to my first interaction on pricescope. There are other threads dealing withthe prices of spessertine garnet where several experts gave their opinions. I read that before Nigerian mines were open the price was $700.00 per carat.(from Nambia) Prices then fell, but the mines have been mined out and now only have small material coming out of them.
From what others said retail prices are $1800.00 per carat. I myself was skeptical but was told this was true. If that is the case you have have done fine for yourself. The Pala gems stone, while beatiful isn''t really much cheaper. After all you got the setting with 71 pts of diamonds along with the stone. Like Linda and Connie, I have several, not as large, but think they are beautiful. If anyone has other updated knowledge, please let us know.
i agree with Nicky that the TV companies are always telling you some mine or other is running out, but I have only heard that about manderin garnet somewhat recently.
Good luck with that beautiful ring.
Annette
Hello Annette,
Where did you get your info about the $1800.00ct for mandarin? I agree that that is a fair price with a large stone like that and the setting,diamonds and labor.You are not seeing as much mandarin garnet as you used to, at least not the larger and better quality.I have seen some of the smaller ones and they look pretty badly included and a big window...HELLO! I know when I ordered my pendent the lady said I was smart to order because after those were gone they could not get anymore.I have not seen them either and people have called in for them.

Connie

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Connie,
Cheryl at JTV went to the Las Vegas show and came back all excited. There was very little spessertite garnet and what she found was $875.00 wholesale. So even if you just double it for retail you are at 1750.00 Before then they were saying $1800 and I thought it was absurd. I wrote to Tommy(JTV) who has over 60 spessertite garnets(He believes he is going to make a killing) who said that was the informaton they had. I still was so skeptical that I set out to see if I could find anything on the internet that corroborated that amount. I ended up on pricescope in a discussion with Maurice, Linda and others whose names I have forgotton, where they told me that if the stone was more than 2 carats that amount was valid. Im sure you can find the thread. It may also have been discussed along with labradorite. Maybe Linda remembers.
The $700.00 figure I quoted, I read in a discussion of spessertite mines. No one was selling anything. It was history. That referred to the Namibian manderin garnet before the Nigerian mine was discovered. Prices fell and the article said now that the mines were closing the price was getting up there, although not yet. I can''t really remember whether that was wholesale or retail anymore. I''m not sure.
I''ll agree that is seems preposterous, but I can''t get another answer so I''m happy to believe it. Tommy can put his children through college. Me, I''ll just like having them. Your labradorite ring is beauiful. I can''t seem to fine one that red, only on Gemfrance which is very expensive. Don''t get gem tv Thanks Annette

ellybelly

Rough_Rock
Hey thanks everyone for you replies about the mandarin garnet. I got it in the mail today and I think I should return it because it doesn''t look as pretty or bright as it did on tv. The picture that came with the appraisal look bright but I guess it''s because they used a flash, and on tv they shine bright spotlights on it from all angles. Connie, have u every ordered anything from either JTV, GSN, or direct shopping network and it didn''t look as nice in person?
Ellen

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I don;t trust the TV channels to give you 100% correct info when it comes to things like this. I am sure there is some nice stuff out there..but spending that kind of money for a stone... I would be more apt to look into more creditable web site gesmtone vendors and asking their questions about manderin Garnets. If Michael, Richard or Maurice are around (and widget) they can give you some great info on Manderins as well

ellybelly

Rough_Rock
MINE,
Thanks for your post and I wanted to tell you that your ring has to be one of the most beautiful and unique colored stone engagement/wedding rings out there. I think I will stay away from tv jewelry and look more online. Thanks!!
Ellen

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Ellen.

Thank you so much for your compliment....

As for manderin Garnets,

I would do a search of the Pscope threads for "manderin Garnets" or even garnets.. you will come up with some nice eye candy and some good suggestions as to where online to find some really nice ones. There is a lot of good info in these threads about them as well.

Keep us updated on your search and what you find!

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 11:40:03 PM
Author: ellybelly
Hey thanks everyone for you replies about the mandarin garnet. I got it in the mail today and I think I should return it because it doesn''t look as pretty or bright as it did on tv. The picture that came with the appraisal look bright but I guess it''s because they used a flash, and on tv they shine bright spotlights on it from all angles. Connie, have u every ordered anything from either JTV, GSN, or direct shopping network and it didn''t look as nice in person?
Ellen
Ellen,

I have ordered from both JTV & GSN and I have returned my share with no problems.Usually it looks better in person than on TV. AT JTV the HIGHER end jewlery is the best as they have all levels of jewelry.The jewelry pieces that are on memo or Frank''s (Red Carpet) pieces are the better quality.I have bought jewelry pieces and gemstones from both places and have had them appraised and am very satisfied with the outcome.I have a "Mandarin Garnet" ring from JTV and a pendant and ring from GSN.I had the pendant appraised last week and he comented on how nice of a stone the garnet was.

I have seen items on JTV that I own or have seen in retail and they were priced WAY LESS than what I paid or what I had seen. So I am a believer Ellen. Don''t let one purchase discourage you.GSN is very slow in returning your money where as JTV is very prompt.

Of course Ellen they have all the bright lights on the turntable to show them off and it should look as well in the right light...sun or incandesent light. I will post some pics of my Mandarin garnte pieces when I get time....It is a beautiful stone.

Connie

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Connie,
Do you mind telling us what your pendent appraised for, if it was the manderin garnet? I would love to see a picture of it.
I do have bad news to report about JTV. I ordered several Mokok rubies from them . 2 were heated only (3.32 ctw, 2.54 ctw), another was an unheated 1.62 ctw. and an untreated light green emerald. They have been promoting them for several month(rubies.) They claimed they were worth 3600 per carat wholesale -7500 retail. I didn''t believe that the appraisal would reach that level.. I wanted value because I wanted to know how good a setting I should put them into. I, like Connie had some very good experiences, but send back 60% of the stuff. Well, I decided to send them to Richard Sherman''s lab so I would know what I bought. The heated ruby I sent to lab came back as glass fracture filed with heavy heat treatment. The no heat ruby came back as heated. The emerald came back as treated(oil . And they aren''t from Mokok, but Mong Hsu That is bad news. It''s called fraud. I have copies of the description of the stones so I have that as proof. I wrote to them but as of now I have received no reply. I want to give them back. i Its over my 30 days. I did file a complaint with the FTC. I don''t know where this will go but beware.
Tomorrow I will write one more e-mail to them and then turn to the Il Attorney General for consumer fraud.
Most of thime I would''nt even think of sending stones to a lab , but I''ve learned in some cases where a good deal of fraud occurs it is worth checking. So Check your rubies if you buy expensive ones. Oh I found another. Did you know there are bulk diffused rubies on JTV They don''t disclose this on air, but it is on the website.
Thanks,
Annette
ps. Please don''t anyway say if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. This ad was said over and over on air for several months. Where is the FTC?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Annette,

Most emeralds are treated with oil.

Linda

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Linda,
Yes I think most emeralds are treated with oil, but untreated emeralds would be very valuable. Zambian emeralds can be untreated and while this is not a "good emerald", it stated it was not treated. I bought several. I think years ago they didn''t treat emer, rubies, sapp as they do today. My book says that treatment of stones became acceptable because there were very few untreated stones. That happened in the 1950''s. I think emeralds can have fillers as well.

I called JTV this morning and they said if I have the lab reports they will refund my money, pay for postage and maybe pay for the lab reports itself. I feel better and have decided to return all of them except the emeralds I put into a necklace already.
I am not promoting Richard Shermans Sarasota Gem labs company, but I see this as valuable service when you are buying expensive gems where so much dishonesty exists in non disclosure.of treatments. I would have bought more. The more rubies one has the better. Some people feel that way about diamonds, I like rubies, tsavorite garnets and emeralds. I have some Madagascar rubies that I bought cheaply but can''t justify sending it yet. Maybe if they pay for the lab reports I''ll do one on one Madagascar. ruby. The color is not as good as the Burma.
Richard did not think I got cheated moneywise. But it would have appraised out much better if not for these flaws. Expensive to me is in the !,000 range. To some of you that wouldn''t be. We aren''t talking $15,000
Thanks
Annette

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Annette,

Geez, sorry you are having so much trouble with them. I never had trouble with JTV. I bought a gorgeous Tanzanite stone a few years back from them. Dark color, red flashes, etc. Can''t find that color anymore. It appraised far more then what I paid for it. I have only had good experiences with them. I don''t buy from them very often though. In fact, that stone was my last purchase.

My favorite stone is the Padparadscha Sapphire. I purchase them from The Natural Sapphire company. They are unheated and simply gorgeous. One stone I did purchase from GSN (Gem Shopping Network) That stone, I haven''t had set yet. That Pad is sooooo beautiful.

Linda

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/10/2006 7:54:05 PM
Author:ellybelly
Ellen
Hello Ellen,

Everything depends on the actual stone. Is it too dark or too light? Is the cutting good to make it sparkle at all angles? Is it eye clean? Is it loop clean? The stone is certainly an the large size for mandarin but everyone is calling all orangey red spessartite garnets mandarin these days.

Regards,
Maurice

everygem

Rough_Rock
Hi Ellen,
mandarin garnets are not as easy to find as last year...it seems that anything over 3 carats is getting real big money...i think 1 and 2 carat sizes should still be quite reasonable , say $25-$50 per carat

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2006 12:07:41 AM
Author: everygem
Hi Ellen,

mandarin garnets are not as easy to find as last year...it seems that anything over 3 carats is getting real big money...i think 1 and 2 carat sizes should still be quite reasonable , say $25-$50 per carat[/QUOTE

25-50? For a manderin? I suppose that depends on quality. I have a very nice spess (in Manderins family, not quite as rare, nor as orange) and I certainly paid more than 25-50 a carat. I suppose it depends on the cut or color.

BTW... Hey MJO... haven't seen you in a while!! Welcome back!

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Annette,

I am truly sorry for your bad experiance with JTV. I can''t believe they misrepresented the stones like that.I once purchased earrings and later received a letter saying they may have been bulk diffused and that I could return them even though it was after the return period.They didn''t have to do this, but I thought it was so honest.

My Spessartine garnet pendant Retail replacement appraisal was for $4800.00. The wholesale price was over $700.00 of what I paid for it. I have had it for about 1 yr. It is a 5.04ct Mandarin color bezel set heart modified brillant cut, clarity is SI-1, type ll, medium dark, reddish orange color.Sixty-seven bead set round brilliant cut diamonds .49ct, SI 1, H color...cut good class 2a.(whatever that is). I really love it and get many compliments....

Here are some pics.....

MGPa.JPG

conitta

Shiny_Rock

MGPb.JPG

conitta

Shiny_Rock

MGPc.JPG

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Last one....

MGPd.JPG

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Connie,
Your pendent is beautiful. I see that the value of spessertites are climbing nicely. I have one that is bright orange set in a ring and 2 other loose stones that are a lighter orange which they called mandarin. The bright orange was sold as a spessertite. The setting you choose for the pendent is perfect. I think a few months ago you and Linda were writing on line saying you wear your jewelry to Walmart. When I see your pendent I can''t help but think, Oh Walmart customers here she comes.LOL I do the same thing. I have no hot dates on my schedule so I wear some of the stuff at home and if someone rings the bell I quick take it off. I tell myself my neices will get it. What rationalization. I wish I had the money for this stuff when I was younger. We did go out alot and had to be up on the latest fashions. My friends and I used to sew so pallazzo pants were easy to zip up. If only I had my jewels then.
Beautiful Connie,
Thanks for showing it., Annette

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Thank you & Yes...I bling at Wal Mart...lol! I wear my jewelry and not for just dress-up.Sometimes some of the ladies will stop to see what I have on and at Christmas they want to know what I got..lol! I go to Wal-Mart a LOT! I have a few other pieces in my collection but have not had them appraised, as well as some loose stones.I also have a pr of earrings I had made because I could not find any I liked and not much in the yellow gold.I will post pictures of them later.The heart pendant was a complete piece from GSN.

Connie

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/29/2006 8:15:42 AM
Author: MINE!!
Date: 8/29/2006 12:07:41 AM
Author: everygem
Hi Ellen,

mandarin garnets are not as easy to find as last year...it seems that anything over 3 carats is getting real big money...i think 1 and 2 carat sizes should still be quite reasonable , say $25-$50 per carat[/QUOTE

25-50? For a manderin? I suppose that depends on quality. I have a very nice spess (in Manderins family, not quite as rare, nor as orange) and I certainly paid more than 25-50 a carat. I suppose it depends on the cut or color.

BTW... Hey MJO... haven''t seen you in a while!! Welcome back!
Hi Mine,

Live gets in the way of some things you like to do. I haven''t been looking at stones much for the past few month as I have been getting my son ready to go off to college. I also have been laying low on purchasing new stones to help pay for that college . I don''t know much on the current supply of Mandarin Garnet. If anyone knows please clue me in. I bought so much because I love them that I haven''t been looking. I can tell you that I have heard rumors of other sources of orange spessartite. I have heard rumors of Afhanistan, Shrilanka and Madagascar but the crystal doesn''t seem to be as good as Namibia or Nigeria.

Regards,
Maurice

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Spessartite / Spessartine is the name but isn''t the "Mandarin" just a color that the most desired colored Spessartine garnet is compared to? A man made nickname?????There is a large range of color light to red with the "Mandarin" color being in the center. >>

Connie

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2006 2:22:50 PM
Author: conitta
Spessartite / Spessartine is the name but isn't the 'Mandarin' just a color that the most desired colored Spessartine garnet is compared to? A man made nickname?????There is a large range of color light to red with the 'Mandarin' color being in the center. >>

Connie

No.

Mandarin garnets are different than spessertite...kinda. Most real Mandarins come from (and it could be only from) Namibia. Spessertite is a different stone that ranges from red to orangey yellow. But Mandarin is different. Many people confuse them because a lot of places call something Mandarin because of the orange color.. But real "Mandarins" can only be found in Namibia.

From Pala:

Prices for the rare mandarin spessartites from Namibia are even higher, with smaller goods (1–2 cts.) fetching up to $800/ct. and fine stones above 5 cts. extending well above $1000/ct.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Most Mandarins have a "sleepy" appearence and strong graining (per Pala)

Here are some pictures to show the difference. They are Richard Hughes pictures... Maybe he will show up and give us a little lesson on Mandarins.

Spess..

maderinneedlesfrompala.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Mandarin

maderinsleepyfrompala.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results