shape
carat
color
clarity

Man made diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've heard this same thing back when General Electric first produced lab created diamonds and alarmists were screaming the same thing. At the most recent Rappaport diamond conference top dogs of these companies (the 2 largest) were among the headline speakers and believe me ... nothing much will change at all regarding natural diamonds and the sales of them.

Rhino

tensionguy

Rough_Rock
I know next to nothing about the diamond industry, but I do have a finance degree. If a company has a competitor with a product that will be released in a year making the first companies product obsolete, that companies stock will fall even if the new product will not see the light of day for another year.

I would think if these man made diamonds were going to drive down the price of diamonds, it would already be happening. The fact that people are not flooding the market with diamonds now tells me that the effect of the man mades will be minimal on the price of mined diamonds.

Just my two cents worth.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
This might be a good poll question:

If you had to choose between:

(1) a 1ct E VS2 superideal diamond mined from the ground, or
(2) a 2ct E VS2 superideal diamond grown in a lab,

and both were the same price, which would you choose?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/19/2003 6:53:21 PM Toska wrote:

I just received an email from Gemesis today, here is a small section of it...

'Beginning of 2004 we will be able to deliver white stones, in mid 2004 we expect fancy blue and in the end of 2004 fancy pink cultured diamonds.'
----------------

I believe blue samples have been created and displayed, just the commercial product is missing. The market launch of these has been postpones for a couple of years now, so I have some doubts about the 2004 deadline. It could be fun to watch though: if not the market crash, than at least the news. There are a few things about diamonds that may make them more vulnerable to "replacement" (such as the size of the market and the established demand) but even more arguments may be brought to defend the impunity of the "real thing" (why aren't 50% of diamonds sold color or clarity enhanced by now? those are real too and have spent their fair share of time undergraound, literally and in the jewelry districts). Overall, no reason of panic though: unless diamonds will be the first ever gem to be successfully substituted by the syntetized version. If so, the makers of syntetics will cut their own 'branch', but maybe not...

One could argue that financial markets do not always react infront of a systemic storm, but each doomsday argument needed actually reduces the probability of the event discussed. How many catastrophs need to happen to get the world rid of polished diamonds?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/19/2003 7:48:50 PM Caratz wrote:

This might be a good poll question:

If you had to choose between:

(1) a 1ct E VS2 superideal diamond mined from the ground, or
(2) a 2ct E VS2 superideal diamond grown in a lab,

and both were the same price, which would you choose?

----------------

(2)

Poll anyone?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
val.
"and every diamond owner will have a very strong interest to keep up the price of mined diamonds"
Why? the will never get out of them what they have in them because of the way the game is rigged against consumers.
As a diamond owner I have 0 interest in seeing the prices stay high.
What possible benifit does high diamond prices have to the average person not in the trade???

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/19/2003 7:22:24 PM Rhino wrote:

I've heard this same thing back when General Electric first produced lab created diamonds and alarmists were screaming the same thing. At the most recent Rappaport diamond conference top dogs of these companies (the 2 largest) were among the headline speakers and believe me ... nothing much will change at all regarding natural diamonds and the sales of them.

Rhino

----------------

That is sad because big changes are needed.

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
All these Diamond Guys in this forum re: APOLO DIAMONDS AND GEMESIS
DO HAVE SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT! I rather have an apollo diamond for 1/5 the price of a buried diamond.

Why do you think places like "Wal Mart" are so successful?
People want deals. They don't want to pay top dollar for everthing.
Payless? Parade of Shoes? Some of their boots look just like $350 Charles David or Prada. MMM let me see, $20.00 or $300?

We all know that DeBeers has control over a tremendous amount of diamonds - they could be much cheaper.

I know many women that would definitely purchase an APOLLO REAL DIAMOND before they go to a store-front jeweler and hand over $10 grand!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/1/2004 11:39:30 AM whitediamonds wrote:

Payless? Parade of Shoes. Some of their boots look just like $350 Charles David or Prada.----------------

I'm sorry to say it, but it would seem to me you don't know that much about shoes. There is positively NO WAY a pair of Payless boots even close resembles a pair of boots by Prada. The ONLY similarity is that they are both termed "footwear"....and that' where the similarities end.

Saoirse

Rough_Rock
Take this information from somebody who is wearing a cubix cer.. because I don''t want to have an over priced stone on my finger that represents what we has human being''s say is love that is actually mined and marketed in the forefront with the background of jealousy, greed, murder, etc... An option to purchase a cheaper diamond that looks same but has not been sitting on the earth for as long and is not being used to make money and hurt people... I''m IN.

imback

Rough_Rock

".....that represents what we has human being''s say is love that is actually mined and marketed in the forefront with the background of jealousy, greed, murder, etc....."

so instead you wear a fake representation of "jealousy, greed, murder??? so is it the "jealousy, greed, murder" you resent, or the price???

1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock

In an interesting sidenote to the lab created diamond issue, a German regulatory agency (I don''t remember their name) has made it illegal in Germany for synthetic diamonds to be advertised as "cultured" diamonds, which is the preferred nomenclature presently used by Gemesis, both domestically and abroad.

They''ve stated that when advertised, the lab created diamonds are to be accompanied with the name "synthetic" or "artificial".

Each violation is punishable by a hefty fine (something like $37,000 per occurence, if I remember correctly).

Additionally, the Israelis have banned the sale of lab created diamonds within the Israeli Diamond Bourse.

Interesting stuff.

One thing that bothers me is that Gemesis continues to advertise that their product can only be distinguised from the natural with "advanced" instrumentation not available to the average gemologist. The truth is, the vast majority (80+% in my opinion) of their diamonds can be positively identified by a trained gemologist with traditional equipment. The remaining 20% can usually be spotted as "suspect", and directed to a lab more specifically trained and equipped for a final positive ID.

The Gemesis diamonds remind me of the Ramaura synthetic rubies. A more difficult ID, but nothing that the gemological community ever got upset about. They didn''t even cause a "blip" in the pricing of their counterparts, fine Burmese rubies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results