shape
carat
color
clarity

Man, did I bang my ring HARD tonight.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
....sigh.....well, I did it again. I take a three-hour long night class on Tuesday nights. Tonight I was half-running into the building because it was sleeting outside and very cold. As I opened the heavy door to the building, somehow the door came back on me and totally whacked my e-ring HARD! In fact, it sent my ring flying up to my knuckle! Thank god I don''t have skinny knuckles, or it would''ve flew off completely! I am soooo surprised I didn''t knock the center stone mounting off the band. I spazzed out, ran up into the bathroom, went into a stall and started inspecting the ring from every angle! To make matter worse, as I said, the class is 3 hours long, so I spent half the night anxious to get home so I could inspect it with my loupe and make sure it is ok!
15.gif

Well, it''s not too bad. I don''t seem to see any cracks or anything, and the prongs don''t look that bad. But this is a frequent problem that I have. This setting sits up really high. I just don''t like the look of settings real low, but it looks like I''m going to have to change it
15.gif
I have a .75 princess surrounded by channel-set princess and baguettes. I''m afraid that since the stone isn''t all that big, if I set it lower, it will look like it "blends" in too much with the rest of the band. I wanted it to "stand out", that''s why I had it set up high. However, I can''t keep banging it like this, or one day it will fly off or worse, crack!

anyway, just wanted to share with those who understand this obsession of mine. I told my DH what happened and his attitude is ''as long as it''s not broke, do what you want'' (what I really want is an upgrade! Man, I''m so materialistic
20.gif
9.gif
). I just had to vent my frustrations!

Thanks for listening everyone!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2005 12:47:37 AM
Author:IrishEyes
....sigh.....well, I did it again. I take a three-hour long night class on Tuesday nights. I am soooo surprised I didn't knock the center stone mounting off the band.To make matter worse, as I said, the class is 3 hours long, so I spent half the night anxious to get home so I could inspect it with my loupe and make sure it is ok!
15.gif

However, I can't keep banging it like this, or one day it will fly off or worse, crack!

anyway, just wanted to share with those who understand this obsession of mine. I told my DH what happened and his attitude is 'as long as it's not broke, do what you want' (what I really want is an upgrade! Man, I'm so materialistic
20.gif
9.gif

I am sorry to hear about your stressful evening, but the good news is that your diamond didn't fall out.

I go to 3 hours of orchestra rehearsal on Tuesday nights. Years ago, some clown slammed the door on my hand. It bent one of the prongs and my 2.05 D-VS2 did fall out of the mounting onto the floor. I had to sit through 3 hours of rehearsal with a diamond in my pocket. After that day, I always set my diamonds with 6 prongs instead of 4.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! you have more committment and endurance than I do!! I would''ve sped to my jewelers to have it sent to be re-mounted right away!! There''s no way I could sit with my diamond in my pocket for that long!
6.gif

Yeah, I''m glad it didn''t fall out or get damaged. I''m just frustrated at possibly having to change it.....thanks for your sympathy!
28.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2005 1
6.gif
6.gif
3 AM
Author: cflutist

Date: 3/23/2005 12:47:37 AM
Author:IrishEyes
....sigh.....well, I did it again. I take a three-hour long night class on Tuesday nights. I am soooo surprised I didn''t knock the center stone mounting off the band.To make matter worse, as I said, the class is 3 hours long, so I spent half the night anxious to get home so I could inspect it with my loupe and make sure it is ok!
15.gif

However, I can''t keep banging it like this, or one day it will fly off or worse, crack!

anyway, just wanted to share with those who understand this obsession of mine. I told my DH what happened and his attitude is ''as long as it''s not broke, do what you want'' (what I really want is an upgrade! Man, I''m so materialistic
20.gif
9.gif

I am sorry to hear about your stressful evening, but the good news is that your diamond didn''t fall out.

I go to 3 hours of orchestra rehearsal on Tuesday nights. Years ago, some clown slammed the door on my hand. It bent one of the prongs and my 2.05 D-VS2 did fall out of the mounting onto the floor. I had to sit through 3 hours of rehearsal with a diamond in my pocket. After that day, I always set my diamonds with 6 prongs instead of 4.
IrishEyes,

Sorry to hear about your ring. That''s a big problem with rings that set way up high. I love that look, too. But I find the same thing happening to me. I caught one of my rings in the car door the other day, and dang near ripped my finger off! To that end I have several low set and channel set rings that I wear more often than the rings I have with high settings.

Cflutist,

Do you wear your jewelry when you perform and rehearse? Especially that gorgoues honker in your avitar?!? If so, I''m impressed! I find that I can''t wear most of my jewelry when I''m playing. I''ve had rings and bracelets get caught on my horn! I usually only wear my wide channel set wedding band when I am performing (and usually no jewlery for rehearsing). Actually, though, I suppose the way that you hold a flute wouldn''t necessarily interfere much with your jewelery. I play sax, and the way I have to hold my instruments and the way that some of the keys stick out is totally different. Anyway, it''s just something about you that I was wondering about on a couple of other occasions.
1.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sjz, yes I do wear wear jewelry when I rehearse (that is just like any other day for me). Here is a picture of my flute and some of my jewelry

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Cflutist...your bling, your hands, and yes, your flute are all beautiful. I do own some jewelry that really doesn't bother me when I play my sax. I guess I'll have to re-think the "no jewelry when I am playing" clause in my philosophy...
1.gif
. I normally don't wear many rings at once ever...only on my two "ring" fingers. And I do have one nice bracelet that is fairly snug on my wrist and doesn't dangle enough to get hung up on my horn. I'll start wearing some things and see how it goes. I have two diamond bracelets, but they are both a little big and dangle too much. One of the reasons I don't wear them much. I have even considered having a few diamonds taken out so that they are smaller.

I am usually OKwearing jewelry when I play piano, but I don't perform in public on the piano. I don't practice it enough to be good enough anymore
20.gif
. And I know I can't wear jewelry when I play my guitar...I am way to musically challenged on that instrument to have ANY distractions when I play...lol.

My house is starting to look like a music store. I have three alto sax's, a soprano, an acoustic guitar, a Yamaha keyboard, my piano, various percussion instruments, and a variety of fun little woodwind instruments like recorders and a xaphoon. My six year old son has TWO accordions, and my daughter (who also plays sax and has a very nice new alto) recently talked me into buying an old bulgle! I do want one more thing, then I think I'm through for a while...I'm currently on the prowl for a vintage C-melody tenor. But they are not easy to find, and they don't come cheap!
6.gif

BTW...IrishEyes...I'm sorry for highjacking your thread...enough musician talk! Sorry!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
No prob, sjz!! Actually kinda fun to read - I never considered jewelry catching on musical instruments. It''s amazing how much we use our hands and don''t even really pay attention to it - that is, until you send a diamond flying off or scratch a ring!! I think I''m going to do what Carrie from Sex and the City did in the episode that Adian gave her the engagement ring...I''m going to hang mine from a necklace around my neck! That way everyone can still see it, I can still enjoy it, and it won''t be getting banged into things!

Damn! I guess necklaces can break, can''t they? Back to the drawing board.......
20.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
A woman from one of my classes (she is already married and came back to school) has a scar on her knuckle from slicing open her figner with her engagment ring. I didnt belive her at first until she showed me the scar, she was on her way in her house for the first time and somehow her DH smaked her into the door panel? It didnt make much sense to me but that explains why she has a 4ct diamond in the lowest setting I have ever seen....I oggle it all the time. I wonder if I could ask her to take a pic from me?....hmm i will have to think about that. This sint entriely ralted but I read on a diffrent web site that the gold in your ring could dissolve amonia and clorox? Is this true? The story sounded like bs to me but I would like to know while I am looking at various settings! Thanks ladies!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id vomit. I have been carrying my ring more than wearing it for a while. A plug smacked off of it the ot her day at work and I nearly threw up. I have been CONSTANTLY checking it. I try to keep my hand near my body should I go through a door as to not swing or smash it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irish Eyes,
So glad your ring is ok
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results