shape
carat
color
clarity

Mammogram irregularities - I'm scared

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
hi everyone

I’ve not been posting for a while as I’ve been dealing with some personal issues.

It turns out I’ve missed my mammogram for 3 years - can’t believe that but it happened. I went last week and they’ve just called saying their are irregularities and I need another one tomorrow with possible ultrasound. I’m scared and worried and was hoping for someone to talk to about this. My Mom is gone, no aunts and my sister MIA. Everyone is at work right now and I have no one to talk to.

Your companionship right now would sure be appreciated. Family history of breast cancer...:(

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Begonia. I am sorry you are going through this and I know exactly how you feel. I nearly always have irregular ones and have to have an ultrasound. The first time made me panic so bad. I have very dense tissue with cysts and this creates anomalies they want to check further. We are here for you.

Edit - the fact that it took a week to get back to you is reassuring that they cannot tell immediately there is a problem. It very well could be nothing.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear you are going through this, @Begonia. I have been called back twice (two different years) for abnormalities. It is unnerving to get the request to return and have to wait for results again, so I know how you are probably feeling now. Like @redwood66, it turns out I have dense tissue which apparently causes call-backs more often. I got the all-clear after each second imaging and hope the same for you.

As an aside, I get 3D imaging now because I was told it is more effective for dense tissue. I haven't been called back since starting the 3D. It may cost extra under some insurance policies, but it is worth it for peace of mind.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently had the same thing. I missed my mammogram for 2 years and when I did get it I had asymmetric tissue. Ultrasound showed nothing but they put me on a 6 month schedule. It was pretty scary for sure. I agree with redwood66 that if they saw something very bad they would have been in touch sooner. Try not to worry. Chances are they are just being cautious. Prayers for you.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I ditto all of the above, including getting 3D imaging if possible. I even found a lump one time that required a biopsy but it was just a benign cyst.

Hang in there... hopefully it’s just a routine “nothing”!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, mine (felt like a little pea) ended up being some thickened skin, but I agree it was alarming to get mammogram and ultrasound scans done to rule it out. Don't be too scared. Even if it turns out to be something worse, I'm surrounded by many BC survivors and most make out OK these days. My husband was more scared than I was while I was going through it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Begonia. I am sorry you are going through this and I know exactly how you feel. I nearly always have irregular ones and have to have an ultrasound. The first time made me panic so bad. I have very dense tissue with cysts and this creates anomalies they want to check further. We are here for you.

Edit - the fact that it took a week to get back to you is reassuring that they cannot tell immediately there is a problem. It very well could be nothing.

Exactly this for me too. Don’t worry about it. I bet a lot of us have cysts. I’ve had them since I was a kid. Don’t worry and be glad they are being extra conservative.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My last one in November was a 3D one and I did not get called back so I agree with you all on having them done.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting called back is always scary. I hope everything will be all right. One good thing about a call-back is that the doctor tells you the results while you’re there.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you are very scared right now but this happens all the time. They need to get additional magnified images of a suspicious area. This happens a lot. It could be as simple as they just need a clearer look at an area. I always have to get Ultrasound images (I have a lot of junk in my boobage trunk:lol:) In all likelihood you have a cyst. Mammography can’t tell if it’s a fluid filled cyst or solid. (And not all solid masses mean cancer)That is why you may need an Ultrasound which can tell if it’s fluid. Don’t panic, this is very common.
We’re here to support you.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Ok. You’ve all been tremendously helpful. I felt like I was losing my mind there for a while with worry.
Breast cancer has always been such a fear for me - lost grandma and aunt to it. I’m glad they are taking care of me and it’s reassuring to hear of call backs with good results.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don’t take this as lecture-y, but since you have a family history please get yearly screenings. And I also hope that you do your monthly self exams too. :wavey: Hang in there!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, relax. Stress is harmful to your body. Second, I had this and it came to nothing. Had the US for a couple years in a row, now I'm back to just regular mammogram, no appetizers.

Just a note: be sure to get it done every year, don't let it pass by. I always go in October - every October.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awful feeling I know. My family history is quite dire, both mum and her sister twice and my sister also. Every year I feel quite sick to the stomach.
So take a deep breath.
Breathe.
Standard Breast scans are notoriously difficult to read, they can’t tell a fat lump from something more sinister so about a quarter of women who have a standard scan will have to move onto a better testing. This doesn’t necessarily mean anything at all. It’s just that they don’t do the better and more accurate test straight off for everyone because it’s more expensive.
So, yes, lots of people who have absolutely nothing to worry about get to have a nervous breakdown when they get told “oh, we are going to have more in-depth testing”
Great - not!
So, try not to worry too much, this is a pretty standard event (better testing) and I’ve travelled it twice now, both times it was nothing but ye Gods, I must have aged a thousand years each time.

LoveRed

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Please don’t take this as lecture-y, but since you have a family history please get yearly screenings. And I also hope that you do your monthly self exams too. :wavey: Hang in there!
Self exam way important, my mom got yearly mammas and one came back ok when not ok. She found her tumor herself. She’s ok and 85. Don’t be lulled by an ok mammogram, do self exams.

LoveRed

Shiny_Rock
Trade
hi everyone

I’ve not been posting for a while as I’ve been dealing with some personal issues.

It turns out I’ve missed my mammogram for 3 years - can’t believe that but it happened. I went last week and they’ve just called saying their are irregularities and I need another one tomorrow with possible ultrasound. I’m scared and worried and was hoping for someone to talk to about this. My Mom is gone, no aunts and my sister MIA. Everyone is at work right now and I have no one to talk to.

Your companionship right now would sure be appreciated. Family history of breast cancer...:(
Sorry to hear this but don’t panic. We have family history and my mom has really bad family history, she finally had an issue at 82 , got it taken care of and is here now still a wild woman st 85. You’ll be fine.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This happens that me every time I get one. I will not get another but will only go for an ultra sound and save myself the panic. Every time I feel like I am waiting for a death sentence or in the very least a life changing event. I have been told it is extremely common.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add me to the list who has to have 6 month mamos with ultrasound. The first time they call you back it is kind of scary not knowing what they found.
Seems I just have an area that they like to keep and eye on. I can say that its fairly common for most of us in the 50+ range. Definitely want to echo
@Bonfire ...please make an effort to make a yearly exam. When you first get a calendar put a note on the month before you need it to call and get an apt. or
put in on your calendar app to remind you to make an apt. Its peace of mind which means a lot to me these days!

Q

Queenie60

I'm a 17 year breast cancer survivor. A few years back they had me on a 6 month schedule because they detected calcifications. It's usually nothing, they just want to be certain which is a good thing. My motto - "don't be afraid of what they find - be afraid of what they don't find" ; if this makes you feel any better. Try to relax and keep busy, no sense in getting yourself stressed until the need be. I will be thinking about you and sending good vibes your way. Take care.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so very much. It’s helping me more than I can say!

The calendar tip is excellent - i didn’t avoid the mammogram. Time went by quickly somehow but the past few years have been one damn thing after another. Maybe dealing with stuff made me forgetful. I’ll use the calendar tip from here forward.

I hope by tomorrow at this time I can write back and say all good. Hey God I’d really appreciate it...

I feel like I’ve aged 1000 years today too. I work shift work and a tired mind is not always rational!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went through this as well, including the ultrasound, a few years ago. Then I had to keep going back every 6 months for diagnostic mammograms. After doing that 3 or 4 times I was able to revert to the regular yearly screening mammograms.

And it was nothing, not even a cyst! The images of small differences in tissue densities in different planes of the breast tissue were superimposed when viewed as a 2D image, making it look like there was something there. It was just an illusion caused by the technology.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it's nothing serious. I was told after having a MM once that I'd have to wait for the radiologist to come and check my scan because something looked "off". Sheer panic. They said I could wait 1-2 hours at the hospital until the dr. could see me. I noped out and asked for a scheduled ultrasound 3 days later. I was too stressed out to just wait because they said I'd have to stay at the hospital to wait for an ultrasound to be available. It was nothing in the end. Now I go to a place with the digital. So much easier. But I must book an appt. soon! Take care.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big hugs @Begonia Fingers crossed you get the all clear on your call back.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi everyone

I had this happen to me with my very first Mammogram; total panic! I had the misfortune of discovering a lump, prior to having my mammogram, which only made me more nervous.
Here’s a bit of info to calm your nerves.
Assuming you live in the US: Ultrasound is now protocol to accompany mammogram. 3D mammo is also highly recommended for women with more “dense” breasts.
“Irregularities” is a very broad term. That can mean anything from fatty tissue to fibroadenomas to the dreaded “C” word.
I have 4 fibroadenomas; 2 in each breast. The largest measures 2cm. That’s cm, not mm. Benign. Stable x 2.5 years. They run in my family. I have routine, yearly mammograms (which reminds me, I’m overdue). That lump I found was a 2cm fibroadenoma. Harmless, and unlikely to be anything more than what it is...ever.
Sit back, and breathe. It’s difficult to be calm after hearing the term “irregularities”, but it could turn out to be absolutely nothing. Stay positive, and please update us with the results.
Prayers are up that it’s nothing of great concern!
*Big hugs* :mrgreen2:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just popping in to give you a hug Begonia, hang in there, stay positive ( it's the only way to fly) and keep us updated!:wavey: I'm sure it's nothing of concern and your team are just doing their due diligence!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I’m in the pacific northwest of Canada, so i don't know what to expect with the mammogram today. It’s in 2 hours.

Really hoping for the best. My first call back - I’m menopausal, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Ridiculously worried. I need to work on this ridiculous fear, after all your health is going to have some ups and downs, some bigger than others. I meet challenges head on - just not ones involving my health in relation to the C word. Lost too many people to it. Trying to regain my kickass attitude here.

Boobs. Ownership comes with its challenges!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear ya! I hope you feel my presence with you today, because I will be with you in spirit. You can deal with this. ;)2

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in the pacific northwest of Canada, so i don't know what to expect with the mammogram today. It’s in 2 hours.

Really hoping for the best. My first call back - I’m menopausal, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Ridiculously worried. I need to work on this ridiculous fear, after all your health is going to have some ups and downs, some bigger than others. I meet challenges head on - just not ones involving my health in relation to the C word. Lost too many people to it. Trying to regain my kickass attitude here.

Oh bless you, we're cheering you on and menopause can cause all sorts of funny things that aren't serious, hang in there, we are with you in spirit as Bonfire says!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope your appointment is going well and they can confirm you are healthy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you @Begonia and hope your appointment today goes well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results