shape
carat
color
clarity

Mall stores - How shocking are they!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Toska

Shiny_Rock
Why is it that only 1 in 5 mall jewellers carry a loupe which is 10x?

I can''t believe how most of the jewellers I visit only carry 3x loupes and when I ask for a 10x they gawk at me and give some sort of smartass reply. Their generic answer is "3x magnification is what we use to grade the stones, it is good enough"

This is the crap people must put up with when visiting a jeweller. Seriously, how stupid do they think the consumer is? They think they can tell us that the stone is well cut and is a F colour, when you would like to look closer, they give you a crappy 3x loupe! Is this some sort of trick, where they must hide the 10x loupe from customers, or do they really only have a 3x loupe???

These these shonky traders, I hope you go out of business. I have praise for the honest jewellers who provide all requested info.

I actually wanted to see on average how many jewellers in Melbourne would provide the sarin/crown & pavillion angles. Let me tell you not even ONE store in the city would provide them for me. 80% of the jewellers didn''t even know what I was talking about.

I was even locked in a store called the Australian Diamond Company, they have a lock on the door that only staff can use to let you in and out. I went in there and was giving the staff a hard time asking for crown & pavillion angles. I made a fool out of them in front of all of their customers, their manager would not unlock the door to let me out, he was desperately attempting to convince me that his stones were of the highest cut quality. When I asked for proof he would not and could not provide it. $8,881 USD for a 0.6 F SI1 he claimed was the cheapest price possible in Australia. He was calling me a liar when I flashed quotes from another vendor in front of his face. In the end, I made the manager and all of his staff looks like lying idiots, and the 10 customers in the store that had almost closed off sales with them ended up leaving!

I hope this is a lesson for all lying jewellers, they are worse than a used car salesman. I believe the jewellery industry needs a massive shake up, or the consumers need to be aware of how they are getting duped. In the end I think people just don''t care if they are getting tricked. I have a relative who just had a ''frozen spit/dead'' 2 carat ring bought for her by her fiance last week. They think it''s the best diamond going around and it does not even shine! My guess is that it would have a table of around 70 and depth of around 65, it''s a shocker. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The sad thing about many people these days is they think a $20,000 diamond is better than a $10,000 well cut diamond of equal stats, simply because it cost more.

errrr.gif

What are your worst experience with mall jewellery stores?

DEVO

Rough_Rock
One question... did you going in with the intent to buy or to make fools of them (test their knowledge)?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a civil act, but why I am not that outraged. After all, sooner or later those shops will have to run a google search for "engagement ring", wouldn't they????
1.gif

What difference did that little show make? This sounds like a candide act of promoting competition; how many of the buyers chased away from that shop do you think came back and comiserate with their misstreated seller? I bet there were a few.
sad.gif

I guess most buyers would rather leave than put up a whole demonstration BEFORE THEY BUY. What would one do after they paid that price for that stone? Not that one can do much...
cry.gif

If sellers can charge "whatever the market would bear" it seems OK for the "market" to show how much it would bear, as long as no law is crossed. I guess
9.gif

knowverylittle

Rough_Rock
Sounds like you just went in the store to wind them up.

Clerks make close to minimum wage and generally only know what their manager taught them. Most car salesmen don't make good money either.

I used to work in my Father's store growing up and had a fair share of snotty customers. After graduation I worked for one of the big-5 who put me to work at the London Stock Exchange no less. I would still work the register if there was a line when I visited the store. Of course people still got snotty, looking down their noses at me! Made me laugh, most clerks don't have this luxury, they have hard lives and often work long hours. There is no need for us to intentionally upset them at their place of work.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even the mall stores are now getting 10x gem microscopes set up so customers
can use them in my area.
Sadly the are being used mostly for a stealth bait and switch campain.
$1999 advertised 1ct 3 stone ring right under the scope so people will be inclined to ask to see it under the scope then when they see how bad the i2 stones are they will try and sell them the higher priced goods with overpriced si1-si2 diamonds saying they are "really great" diamonds see how few inclusions they have.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had decent experiences at some jewelers, but I didn't want to waste my time trying to get them to show me what I knew they didn't know. Why bother, they will only tell me that I am wrong, and they are right and I wasn't going to buy from them anyway.

A G/SI 1.5c stone for $17k. That's one store I visited. Don't even know if it was certed.

Another store had a 1.2c H VS I believe for around $11k. GIA cert but no other information.

Never again will I shop offline for a diamond. To go into a store, even a high end one...what do they show you? A GIA or AGS cert and a 10x loupe (maybe). You ask for a Sarin. You eyeball the stone. You eyeball the inclusions. You IdealScope it (maybe). You buy the stone. You get it set. End of story.

What fun is that?? I'd much rather go online, bother Whiteflash or GOG or similar for about 10000 reports and pictures of the stone, then agonize over two or three superideal stones with .00001 angle differences and .1 HCA score differences. Compare picture A to picture B...show me the leakage. What about .1 HCA score vs .2 HCA score? Why isn't this heart exactly perfectly heartly symmetrical? What does that MEAN????
errrr.gif

Online=way more stressful, but loads more excitement as well. Plus then you get to wait a few heart-wrenching days for it to come in the mail, when it arrives you loupe it, IdealScope it, DiamCalc it, juggle with it. Set it. Wear it. Love it. Ahhh.
love.gif

Online baby!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
LOL Mara! Too funny. And sooo true. Online diamond buying changed my life!

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
Sounds a little meanspirited to me...

I've laughed at used car salesmen and those like them through my car purchases and such... As for their pay... there is no excuse for the way they act (some of them) and the way the industry is (more at fault). To me it doesn't matter what they make, their slimey ways and sales banter is their fault. Having said that in my car searches I've run into some very good salesmen who are knowledgable, straightforward and offer a fair deal.

As far as the blissfully ignorant you can always ask to see a manager and up and up until you get someone who knows... or you don't deal with them.

I've wanted to go to a mall store since I found this site, to see what they offered, and determine whether it was as horrible as protrayed. I saw on the Zales site $8K for a 1ct SI2 in platnium... decided they are way overpriced and left it at that. I would feel bad going in there and wasting their time, which is why I never stopped. I believe the answer is educating the consumers... not sure how to do that en mass, but i doubt any of the consumers really "got" what was said.

Toska

Shiny_Rock
I did not inentially go in there to make fools of them, or to be mean.

Here is how the whole event played out.

They unlocked the door for me, I walked in, a salesgirl approached me and asked if I needed assistance. I straight out said I was looking for so and so diamond. She said we have a few in that range. She showed me the diamonds and the prices. I was stunned by their asking prices, so I asked for some proof to back it up, how about some certificates eg. GIA, AGS. The girl said that they did not have any certification with their stones but they were the largest diamond trader in Australia with their own "evaluations". I said ok, no evidence to justify these prices, are you sure you cannot discount the stones for me? Thats when she went to ask her manager, he said no discounts available because they were able to beat any offer on a similar diamond offered in Australia BAR NONE. They pay $6000usd $8000aud for a 0.6 F Si1, which is a straight out lie! That is when I proceeded to pull out the prices I had printed out from another diamond vendor from Australia who offered lower prices than their so called "wholesale prices". The manager then accused the other vendors diamonds of being "stolen" and "second hand rejects", even though I had scanned images of GIA & AGS certificates. He refused to offer me his store "policy & guarantee" beating any other vendors price. The certificates said laser inscribed(diamond serial #), he then said that these diamonds were "laser drilled rubbish etc" Every time he made a stupid comment I shot him down and made him look like an idiot with my knowledge and his LIES. It was definately not my intention to do this but he wanted to "bring it on". The whole time people in the store were listening to our conversation and were shocked that I was making this guy look like a joke. In the beginning I only wanted him to release the special lock on the door to let me out of the store because he could not match the price, he would not do this for me and wanted to continue the conversation. I did not once insult a clerk in the store, it was all directed at the conversation. Not once did I initiate anything, his comments and tone of speech were of such an insulting nature towards me that every time I calmly proved his comments wrong, he would get more upset and yell. Even all of his workers were embarassed of their manager and the entire episode. It sure felt good to walk out of that store knowing I had made a fool of the "largest diamond seller" in Australia in front of 10 customers. I always wondered if they ended up buying a diamond from the Australian Diamond Company.

wavey.gif

DEVO

Rough_Rock
Sounds like they got what they deserved... now if only more people were educated on the subject we wouldn't have places like that around.

DEVO

Rough_Rock

----------------
On 12/15/2003 2:26:47 PM Mara wrote:

Online=way more stressful, but loads more excitement as well. Plus then you get to wait a few heart-wrenching days for it to come in the mail, when it arrives you loupe it, IdealScope it, DiamCalc it, juggle with it. Set it. Wear it. Love it. Ahhh.
love.gif

Online baby!

----------------

A few days??? Try a heart-wrenching month and counting. And they had to "pull strings" to get me that day. I'm a little miffed right now.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
Ok it does sound like they got what they deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results