shape
carat
color
clarity

Mall Jewelry Stores vs. Independent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sgruning

Rough_Rock
Hi All:
I too am so appreciative of all the support I have been receiving from Price Scope. I feel so much more educated and value the feedback I receive.

Not knowing much about diamonds, my husband bought me a pair of LEO earrings. I have to say, they are pretty and sparkle. So - I went back to Kays to look for a loose 1 carat for my ring. I am keeping my setting. To make it more afforadable to me - they will take a trade in and some financing. If it were a deal I couldn''t pass up, then I would charge it!

So, Kay''s is offering me a round cut, 1.01, Ideal Cut, Table is 58.5%, Depth is 59.6% Color is E SI1 for $5,600 (they will take my .58, S12, H color marquis for $1,600)

I then went to an independant store in Wichita, KS - Clarks. Maybe it is because I didn''t have on designer clothers or something, but he was pushing the enhanced diamond on me. He said no one would ever know and no one has ever returned one to him with issues. I walked out.

I then went to Jewelry Saver''s which is a tiny shop (almost hole in the wall place) with no special lights, etc. They showed me one that had too much of a depth so he called me later (the only jeweler that has called me) and said he found one he thought more in line with what I wanted out of NY. It is 1.02 Round, Depth , Table is 58%, Crown is 14%, Pavillion 44%, Girdle is MED and Faceted (which is new to me), Cutlet, None, Polish VG, Symmetry Excellent and cut is Ideal. Color is H, SI1.
Cost is $5,450. - He also has The Rapaport but it was from Sept. 06.

So - any comments? Kay''s or Jewelry Saver''s?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Which lab graded these diamonds?

sgruning

Rough_Rock
For Kay's It is GIA and for Jewelry Saver's it is the one that certifies for Europe?? I am told the buyer in NY buys his diamonds from Israel.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 12:24:34 PM
Author: sgruning
For Kay''s It is GIA and for Jewelry Saver''s it is the one that certifies for Europe?? I am told the buyer in NY buys his diamonds from Israel.
Is the Kay''s GIA report from 2006? I wouldn''t trust a b&m store saying a diamond was ideal unless they''re holding an AGS or ''06 GIA report to back it up.
33.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just did a quick "pricescope your diamond" and you can get a 1.01 ct E SI1 starting at $4,277 without trading in your current stone.

Have you looked at the tutorials? There is a ton of inforamtion, especially on cut (the most imporant of the "C"s). Honestly, you can probably go lower in color with no visual difference and maybe even find an eye clean SI2, all of which translates to either less $ or a bigger stone for the same $.

Generally you will find that the people on this forum discourage others from buying from mall (maul!) jewelers because there are usually better stones available at lower prices from other sources. Are you open to an internet vendor?

sgruning

Rough_Rock
I can be open to Internet sales but I kind of liked the idea of the 0 interest for a year w/financing. Not totally necessary though.

Do you sell?

sgruning

Rough_Rock
I will check. Good question.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no -- I do not sell! Sorry if I gave you that impression!

I do understand the appeal however of 0% financing. The only PS vendor that I know of that provides financing is Pearlman's. (That doesn't mean that others don't, but Pearlman's is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.) Here is the link to the site. link There are *some* diamonds listed (generally in larger sizes that what you mentioned), but if you want to go that route contact Bill Pearlman directly and let him know what you're looking for. He has access to A LOT of stones even though only a few are listed.

sgruning

Rough_Rock
I guess I would have to call him, everything he shows is way above my price range.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you do, though, take a run through the tutorials. You need to know a bit about color, clarity, cut, etc., before you even start pricing things. The color you posted was quite high--do you need an E? SIs are interesting animals; you can have eye clean SI2 that will save you a bunch of $. It''s all in there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results