shape
carat
color
clarity

Mall Jewelry Store experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
So, today hubby and I went shopping (not for jewelry) - we had a bunch of gift certificates and cards and wanted to see if there was anything on sale or fabulous that we wanted - so off to the mall we went.

We did our shopping and were wandering around wasting a little time so we didn''t leave and get caught in traffic. While wandering around we happened by a Kays Jewelers - of course, in my new found knowledge, I wanted to see what I thought of the jewelry in the cases. First we browse the windows, and it was so funny, hubby asks me to put my hand up near the window so he could see my diamond. Next he starts laughing and asks "What did you say they call diamonds at a ''maul'' store on your website?" So, I think for a second and respond, "Oh, frozen spit?" he laughs and says "That''s giving this crap too much credit." and he proceeds to point out clouds, bad cuts, black deposits, uneven coloring, etc in the stones in the window. Of course, I''m thinking to myself "Whooohoooo!! he''s learning something and I have good stuff to look forward to because of it!! YAY!!"

So, we then move into the store and over to the colored gems - from about 3 feet away I could see this nasty cloudy patch in this one ring... hubby got close to the ring (it was a blue sapphire) and at a pretty decent volume, he says "Who would pay for this crap?" I start laughing and we leave - he proceeds to tell me about how 5 months ago he wouldn''t have thought anything bad of the items he just saw in the store, and how happy he is that I found this site, etc. We go grab a Starbucks before heading to the car and we take off giggling a little and feeling kind of bad for all the people who have yet to find this site and who continue to purchase "frozen spit" or worse from stores like the one we visited today.

Thanks Pricescope - I won''t be embarrassed by bad jewelry selections because of you!
36.gif

HPLouis

Rough_Rock
Wow, you and your hubby sound so cool. You two sound so "superior" to the great unwashed that shop at these "maul stores."

I think what you two did was very childish. Those people that work there are trying to make a living and some people find a good deal at those "maul stores". How would you like it if someone walked into your place of business and acted like a child?

And no I don't work at a mall store or in the diamond business.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
We didn''t act like children - nothing we said was loud enough for anyone other then the two of us to hear. And we were very polite when we were asked if we needed assistance. I don''t know how you interpretted what I wrote, but at no point were we rude or disrespectful to anyone.

The point of what I was saying was that it is kind of nice after learning what we have learned from the research here, to realize that we can actually "see" what makes the quality of what we are directed to through pricescopes search feature, etc better then what is seen on the floor in the stores in a mall. Honestly, before learning what we have learned so far (and there is MUCH more to learn, I''m still confused by a lot of what is discussed in the knowledge area) I would have LOVED any of what is available in those stores, I''m sure. Now I see the difference, and not only in the numbers, measurements, etc - but I can actually see (or not see) arrows, bowties, etc in the items in the store we were in.

Regarding the term "maul" - it''s not ours, it''s been used here many times, which is why I put quotes around it - it was something we laughed at the first time we read it while reading some posts, so when he said it today we laughed again.

Sorry to anyone if I offended, it was not at all my intention - it has been a long day, perhaps I''m not being as careful as I should be, or as sensitive as I should be and perhaps I didn''t word my appreciation the way I had intended - I sincerely meant for the original post to be a whole hearted thank you to all the wonderful folks that help educate those of us that don''t know crap when we stumble upon this place.

I am very sorry to anyone that I offended. I really did not mean for this to be intrepretted as anything except for a slightly humorous experience and a thank you for the education you have given us to this point and to the continued education that we will get as we continue to visit and participate. (if only there was a blushing smiley - it would definitely need to be inserted here).

Rabe2000

Rough_Rock
Jypsie do not let the post by HPLouis make you take back your post, I as I am sure many other individuals on PS understand what you were saying. HP seems bitter and I am not sure why he registered on a Forum the recommends online vendors and as you stated the knowledge we gain from the site allow us to be better shoppers at B&M stores. I thought your "Maul" browsing recap WAS GREAT. And in NO way did you come off childish.

HEPennypacker

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 10:58:58 PM
Author: HPLouis
Wow, you and your hubby sound so cool. You two sound so ''superior'' to the great unwashed that shop at these ''maul stores.''

I think what you two did was very childish. Those people that work there are trying to make a living and some people find a good deal at those ''maul stores''. How would you like it if someone walked into your place of business and acted like a child?

And no I don''t work at a mall store or in the diamond business.

But you did purchase a ring from Kay...

HPLouis

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 10:48:57 PM
Author:Jypsie
So, today hubby and I went shopping (not for jewelry) - we had a bunch of gift certificates and cards and wanted to see if there was anything on sale or fabulous that we wanted - so off to the mall we went.

We did our shopping and were wandering around wasting a little time so we didn''t leave and get caught in traffic. While wandering around we happened by a Kays Jewelers - of course, in my new found knowledge, I wanted to see what I thought of the jewelry in the cases. First we browse the windows, and it was so funny, hubby asks me to put my hand up near the window so he could see my diamond. Next he starts laughing and asks ''What did you say they call diamonds at a ''maul'' store on your website?'' So, I think for a second and respond, ''Oh, frozen spit?'' he laughs and says ''That''s giving this crap too much credit.'' and he proceeds to point out clouds, bad cuts, black deposits, uneven coloring, etc in the stones in the window. Of course, I''m thinking to myself ''Whooohoooo!! he''s learning something and I have good stuff to look forward to because of it!! YAY!!''

So, we then move into the store and over to the colored gems - from about 3 feet away I could see this nasty cloudy patch in this one ring... hubby got close to the ring (it was a blue sapphire) and at a pretty decent volume, he says ''Who would pay for this crap?'' I start laughing and we leave - he proceeds to tell me about how 5 months ago he wouldn''t have thought anything bad of the items he just saw in the store, and how happy he is that I found this site, etc. We go grab a Starbucks before heading to the car and we take off giggling a little and feeling kind of bad for all the people who have yet to find this site and who continue to purchase ''frozen spit'' or worse from stores like the one we visited today.

Thanks Pricescope - I won''t be embarrassed by bad jewelry selections because of you!
36.gif
How is that not being rude or disrespectful? Your whole tone was very disrespectful and condescending. I''m not misinterpreting what you wrote. It is highlighted what you said and now you''re saying that it wasn''t loud enough for anyone to hear? What''s a "pretty decent volume" then? Then you''re both laughing and giggling? How is that not childish? You walk into a place of business and according to your first post, you weren''t looking to do business there, you were there to flaunt your newfound knowledge, at the expense of the store. You then proceed to call the products there "frozen spit" and laugh and giggle on the way out. Then you come on the net to brag about your adventures at the mall.

How is any of that not rude or disrespectful?

HPLouis

Rough_Rock
Yes I did purchase a ring at Kay's. Check my posts. I paid $7700 for a ring that had a retial value of $18.4K. I wne to a couple of online vendors that could not match the price or beat the price that I paid for my ring. Check out the pics? Does it look like frozen spit? It's not even about me or the ring. It's about the attitude. Those guys working at that mall are working hard trying to do business and it's not right for someone to walk in there and disrespect their store.

I drive a BMW. I don't like Lexus or Mercedes. I think BMWs are the best cars out there. That doesn't mean I'm going to walk into a Mercedes dealership and start talking about how their cars are crap. It's childish and disrespectful.

And I still have until February to return the ring for a full refund. If anyone knows a vendor that can give me the same ring or better for what I paid or less, then I'm all ears. I have no problem returning this ring. I've got until February. Check my post history and see the ring and get me a better deal.

Rabe2000

Rough_Rock
Why would you join this Forum?? To gain knowledge of diamonds?? I too went into several (and I mean literally 10) different Kay Jewlers and walked about beacuse of the junk they wanted to sell me and as they say their on sale price. The inclustions can be seen before you walk up to the counter. We could compare Jypsie''s expereince to any store not just a jewlery what if you walk into a store with your SO and dont like a pair of jeans you have the right to say who would by this crap?

HEPennypacker

Rough_Rock
I agree that the part you highlighted probably wasn''t the most considerate thing for them to do. But you do seem to be taking it personally, and I just wanted to point out why that might be the case.

Rabe2000

Rough_Rock
HP Maybe you should read your original ring post over again!!

HPLouis

Rough_Rock
I have graduate degree and a white collar job. Would it be ok for me to walk into a factory or a mill and start talking loudly about how I''m more educated than most of the people working there? No it wouldn''t. That is rude and disrespectful. I wouldn''t want someone to do that to me? Would you like that done to you?

I know the mall stores aren''t the best places to shop for diamonds but there are people out there, just like you and me, trying to work hard to make an honest dollar. It''s hard enough in a retail environment. We shouldn''t be making life harder for the people trying to earn a living.

HPLouis

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 11:43:53 PM
Author: Rabe2000
HP Maybe you should read your original ring post over again!!
I did read the post. I already spoke to my girl and she''s all for getting a better ring. She did initially fall in love with it and wanted to keep it but I made a deal with her. If I can find a better (I.E. bigger) ring for the same amount or a little more, then I can get that. I didn''t find one so I just gave up. I spoke to Mark over the phone and he talked to me about a diamond with better color but at a higher price. A couple of color grades won''t really matter to me and it wasn''t enough to make me return the ring.

Either way, I''ve still got until February to return it. Do you know where I can get a better ring and diamond? I''m all for more bang for the buck.

HPLouis

Rough_Rock
i don''t feel like I am taking it personal but maybe that''s how I am coming off. I''m not trying to start a fight here but I will admit that it does upset me when people act condescending. I think there was a better way to flaunt your knowledge of diamonds than to walk into a store, where people are doing business and trying to earn a dollar, and talk loudly about how bad the quality of the diamonds are.

I''ve worked retail when I was getting my undergrad. It was hard work. I would never do it again. I''ve had to deal with people that walked into the CompUSA that I used to work at and talk about how much better the computers were online and how the prices were cheaper. When I asked them if they were buying anything, they would say "no." They think it''s funny but they''re actually hurting me, and other salespeople, in the process.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 11:37:51 PM
Author: HPLouis
Yes I did purchase a ring at Kay''s. Check my posts. I paid $7700 for a ring that had a retial value of $18.4K. I wne to a couple of online vendors that could not match the price or beat the price that I paid for my ring. Check out the pics? Does it look like frozen spit? It''s not even about me or the ring. It''s about the attitude. Those guys working at that mall are working hard trying to do business and it''s not right for someone to walk in there and disrespect their store.

I drive a BMW. I don''t like Lexus or Mercedes. I think BMWs are the best cars out there. That doesn''t mean I''m going to walk into a Mercedes dealership and start talking about how their cars are crap. It''s childish and disrespectful.

And I still have until February to return the ring for a full refund. If anyone knows a vendor that can give me the same ring or better for what I paid or less, then I''m all ears. I have no problem returning this ring. I''ve got until February. Check my post history and see the ring and get me a better deal.
Who provided you with the retail value of the ring? Let''s start with that and go on from there.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Look, I''m sorry for the wording - I assure you no one except hubby and I were able to hear anything that we said to each other. The line that you are highlighting was my attempt at painting a picture of the fact that we were done, it was time to stop doing what we were doing, which was actually quite fun, it was like watching the little light bulb go off over someone''s head in a cartoon, but it was happening right there in the store for both of us - but I''m sorry, I''m not a person who enjoys shopping this time of year - I obviously didn''t paint the picture that I was intending for HPLouis. I could have said "he shouted it across the store" that does not mean he actually shouted it, but rather that it seemed that way it was the indicator that it was time to go, as we had obviously had all the fun that we could have there, doing what we were doing, looking at items that we had no interest in purchasing but rather testing ourselves and enjoying the new knowledge we have gained.

Sorry HPLouis, I did not mean to offend you - this could have happened at any of the 6 or so jewelers in the mall, it just happened that Kay''s was on the way to the Starbucks and in the path we were taking while wasting some time.

HPLouis

Rough_Rock
www.uglinc.com

It''s an independent gem lab out in the Diamond District. It wasn''t the store or anyone else that has a vested interest in giving me a high appraisal.

HPLouis

Rough_Rock
I want to apologize to the OP and everyone else also. I didn''t want to start a fight or make anyone feel uneasy. I saw a situation that reminded of experiences that I went through 13 or so years ago and it really bothered me and I felt I had to speak up. I apologize for coming off in a combative tone.

slyons29

Rough_Rock
I don''t post here often but am the most "guilty" lurker looking for all the great information on my obsession with stones, and jewelery. I didn''t take the original post to be mean, just how well informed and powerful you feel when you know the ins and outs of how the diamond world works. Nothing more. As someone who is desperately trying to convince the BF (soon to be fiance) to buy online or at least to do the research here I can tell you I am having a lot of frustation convincing him to make such a huge purchase on the internet!
29.gif
He''s a wonderful stubbon man but needs to let the litte lady show him the way.

Personally, he gave me the prettiest diamond & emerald flush set ring (very thin shank, may 1.5 mm 18K whilte gold) from a local Jewelry exchange in NJ which is lovely and I love it. Don''t know what he paid for it but this was after he went to two of our reputable online vendors that I had sugessted who had to back order the ring he was looking for (god help my massive size 8.75 fingers). He didn''t want to show up without anything for Christmas and though it needs to be sized it is delicate and lovely and sparkly!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I will post pictures once we have it sized (TOMMOROW!). He also says I can keep the back ordered ring when it comes for my 40th Birthday in FEBRUARY!!! Ahhhh, I love this man.

Don''t be so hard on folks who love to live the dream of knowing what your looking for and not having to take a hard sales pitch. If you LOVE you Kay ring then I say go for it and KEEP IT!! The only person who has to love it , and wear it, is YOU! So follow up by listening to your heart and be happy with what you bought . . .

Happy New Year everyone!!!!
35.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Ignoring the drama, responding to the original post...

It makes sense to me that different people have different budgets and preferences so sure, there should be jewelry stores of various quality. For example, when I am shopping for clothes, if I want something of high quality, or I want better sales help, maybe I will go to Banana Republic or Nordstroms etc. If I want something basic and don''t need any help I will go to Target or Old Navy. I expect the Target brand to be lower quality and also to COST LESS. (To be fair, I''ve noticed that quality and price don''t always go hand in hand for clothes, but just on the average).

So, I''m fine with some jewelry stores offering lower quality stuff (so that people who prefer or need to spend less can still buy jewelry) but it should cost less! And when the salespeople are trying to tell me they have a superior product? And it clearly isn''t? That''s just sad.

When more consumers truly get educated and stop shopping places that don''t give them a fair value for their hard earned dollars (no matter how many, or few, dollars are at stake), maybe these stores will have to change the way they do business.

I, too, am grateful to pricescope for helping me be a better consumer.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Slyons - I cannot wait to see your pictures!!

Happy New Year to you and all the other Pricescopers as well!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
To HP~Are you serious about looking for another ring? Is so, start a thread and ask other members for help. I read some of your other threads. I think you overpaid for a J VS1. You did pay the price for an I VS1, according to the Pricescope search I did on both diamonds. You were also roped into the "service plan." A good jeweler should stand behind their pieces without making you pay extra for it. You should have the ring insured anyway. The appraisal seems very high for this ring. I would be very suspicious of someone who appraised my ring at double its cost. Remember, you did not pay wholesale. The public cannot buy at wholesale. So your appraiser is telling you that what you paid retail is half of their appraised retail price. This is my .02. If your fiance loves the ring, then let it be. If you want to find a beautifully cut princess, let us know.

ETA: To the OP, pardon the threadjack
17.gif

HPLouis

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/28/2007 12:32:47 AM
Author: risingsun
To HP~Are you serious about looking for another ring? Is so, start a thread and ask other members for help. I read some of your other threads. I think you overpaid for a J VS1. You did pay the price for an I VS1, according to the Pricescope search I did on both diamonds. You were also roped into the ''service plan.'' A good jeweler should stand behind their pieces without making you pay extra for it. You should have the ring insured anyway. The appraisal seems very high for this ring. I would be very suspicious of someone who appraised my ring at double its cost. Remember, you did not pay wholesale. The public cannot buy at wholesale. So your appraiser is telling you that what you paid retail is half of their appraised retail price. This is my .02. If your fiance loves the ring, then let it be. If you want to find a beautifully cut princess, let us know.

ETA: To the OP, pardon the threadjack
17.gif
I have the ring insured....but to a more important point you just brought up? Are you saying I could get a bigger diamond for my money???? I''m more into size and cut. I''ll take an eyeclean SI1 and a I or even J color (it has to sparkle though) if I could get a bigger diamond for the same price. She won''t really notice the difference, she''ll take size over anything.

Sorry for the threadjack too. I''m going to start my search again tomorrow.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, I can relate to this right now! I giggled reading your story, because it''s almost exactly how I felt when I poked my head into a Kays in the mall yesterday while shopping for some other things. Sadly enough, I don''t live near ANY jewelry stores with what I [and likely most posters on PS] would consider to be consistently beautiful, well-cut stones, so Kays is quite literally my ONLY reference for diamonds. It really is sad. One of these days I''ll make the trek out of the rural towns into a city that has a Tiffany''s and really have some fun!

More to the point- I was looking to get an idea of diamond size on my finger, so I asked to see a few rings from the case. The sales woman was VERY nice, and seemed to have pretty alright diamond knowledge [compared to my last, HORRIBLE experience at Kays where diamond info was seriously misrepresented to me and upon noticing that I knew my stuff, I was offered a substantial discount...which I declined...] In fact, she was so nice that I actually found myself smiling warmly and nodding along as if I were clueless about diamonds, letting her slip in some pretty generously overblown info about color and clarity. I finally figured out that in order to get an idea of size I should use the mm measurements of the diamonds rather than the carat size, since I had no way to know the cut of these individual stones other than their "certs". It was a pretty enlightening experience, and I felt really good about myself coming out of the store.

That isn''t AT ALL to imply that I look down on people who shop at Kays, or people who work at Kays, or anything like that. I just feel confident armed with the knowledge of diamonds that I have acquired from lurking on this site for many years now. :) I feel a lot like I think you did, Jypsie!
9.gif

I did, however, feel VERY bad for this one young couple that was being helped by a different salesperson a few feet away from me. I could hear almost everything going on in their verbal exchange, and they were definitely not getting the product they were being told they were paying for. It seriously almost broke my heart, and I had to hold back from interrupting them, begging them to reconsider, and writing down the URL for Pricescope!!
32.gif
38.gif
12.gif

They ended up making a very large purchase, and I do hope they''re genuinely happy about it. Normally I wouldn''t mind so much, but the woman, especially, seemed totally unenthused, and she kept saying the diamond looked a little bit yellow as the salesperson insisted that a J [the "J" graded by their labs and a not very well-cut stone, mind you] was a colorless stone that is totally white. Grr.

Hopefully that wasn''t too off-topic, I just thought I''d share!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results