shape
carat
color
clarity

Mall Jeweler

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smileyteeth

Rough_Rock
Can you recieve a fair deal at a Mall Jeweler? I have heard a lot of people on this site say bad things about mall jewelers? Most of the independent jewelers do offer good deals on financing.

bof

Rough_Rock
it depends on what your defination of fair is. you will pay more at a mall jeweler for the same quality. this is usually releated to their cost of business, etc. mall jeweler often cater to a different crowd so the quality of items will differ as well.

it never hurts to go in and take a look at what they are offering and then compare with what you can get elsewhere.

boF

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
If you call 23.9% a good deal... Read the terms of the finance contract, most of them are pretty outrageous... The lure is 30/60/90/120 days same as cash, but that isn't a deal if you pay twice as much for the item to begin with and then the interest usually rolls back retro-active to the date of inception if you fail to pay off the loan by the end of the initial "same as cash" term.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have an apples to apples comparison for you.

I looked at a 3/4 carat, H, SI1, Hearts and Arrows diamond at Helzberg Jewelers. A Maul retail chain. Asking price $7000 US.

I bought a 3/4 carat, H, SI1, A Cut Above Hearts and Arrows diamond from White Flash for less than half Helzberg's asking price.

That's a quality to quality comparison. If you are talking Maul Jewelers "ready made" stuff, there is no comparison. Why do you think they have such tremendous sales?? The $700 diamond bracelet that is on sale for $199. They are making money on the $199. Anyone that paid $700, really paid thru the nose. How else do they pay for the national advertising on TV??!!
2.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Let's put it this way;
I'm a wholesale manufacturer/designer. I supply some of the stores you may have visited. The mall stores usually do a 3 to 5 time markup over the price I deliver mountings for. That's not a ripoff, thats a fact of life with a $25K+ monthly rent and at least as much each month in payroll and commissions. Sort of like the prices at convenience stores, it just isn't cost effective if you have the time or sense to shop elsewhere.
As well, that is assuming the salesmen are honest and knowledgeable, which is often doubtful with commisioned sales...

My general rule of thumb is that a good custom jeweler can deliver the same ring of better quality than a mall store for roughly 1/3 the price plus or minus - and still make money doing it. Still want to go to the mall?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/17/2004 10:00:25 PM smileyteeth wrote:

Most of the independent jewelers do offer good deals on financing.----------------

While this is an easy lure, one has several other avenues for financing (not something I really recommend - I believe in saving for it - costs less & you don't take on debt). Some banks will provide unsecured lines of credit. Some credit cards will have introductory rates for a 6 mos to a year at low rates. If you have a credit card, you can seek a better deal at a lower rate to intice you to take *their* card. Lots of finance options - be smart & explore them.

The first "C" someone has to think about is cost & how am I going to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results