shape
carat
color
clarity

Mall Jeweler "fingered" my diamond - Aak

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
For all the b*tching about 'maul' stores here, I can't believe people here repeatedly go in them. I don't like them either but I don't go in. I don't see a need to voluntarily give myself something to b*tch about.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
A guy at Bailey Banks & Biddle did this to me. They sell expensive, nicer things... you'd think they would know better! He called my diamond "yellow" and put his fingers all over it. Umm... my diamond is GIA F so its definitely NOT yellow. Your gross, lotioned fingers are probably casting a yellow light on it.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
platinumrock|1312384516|2983107 said:
Cehrabehra|1312364900|2982961 said:
platinumrock|1312337997|2982770 said:
LOL! You and your diamond must feel so violated. Did you clean your ring when you got home? Ugh stranger germs/oil. :knockout:

Is this serious or joking?

Living in China has absolutely reformed me of any germophobia. There's no way to function here and hold on to that. Each of us is "stranger germs and oil" to someone else that we don't know. The likelihood is that they are equivalent to us.

I also don't quite get the obsession of diamond clean. None of this thread really makes sense to me! I mean I thought I liked a clean diamond, but I guess I always thought the comments to this extent were kidding. I would have made the same comment that gypsy made because I was irritated, but I'm pissy when I'm irritated.

It was in good fun. The title of her thread made me laugh so I was trying to sympathize since this situation really bothered her. I used to be an elementary teacher so I'm used to other people's germs/oil.

Honestly, I don't really see what the big deal is. She's just venting about something that bothered her. It may seem trivial to others but to that person, it can really ruin their day.

Oh gosh, if something like that could ruin my day...I'd say I'd be a pretty happy person. I *WISH*!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh come on people-this is a diamond website. Why can't PSers have a little vent about people getting their prized diamonds dirty? I don't recall anyone saying their day was ruined. Of all the threads to get jumped on, this one seems pretty innocuous! :confused:

And I'd certainly go into a "maul" jeweler to try on plain bands-chain jewelers are perfect for things like that.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1312398243|2983304 said:
Oh come on people-this is a diamond website. Why can't PSers have a little vent about people getting their prized diamonds dirty? I don't recall anyone saying their day was ruined. Of all the threads to get jumped on, this one seems pretty innocuous! :confused:

And I'd certainly go into a "maul" jeweler to try on plain bands-chain jewelers are perfect for things like that.

Nobody is getting pissy? :confused: We just said it would be annoying...but we wouldn't actually BE pissed off about it.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe but when I read threads like this, I can't help but think, 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results'. Or maybe people just like to vent online and they go into 'maul' stores knowing they will be insulted, badly handled but at least they'll get a good vent here on PS about it.

If I'm treated poorly enough in a store to vent about it, I'm usually treated poorly enough never to grace their doors again and I don't care if anybody else thinks i'm overreacting. It just seems strange.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I would totally feel violated if someone touched the table of my diamond! In fact, I'VE NEVER even touched the table of my diamond! I clean it everday with a soft brush, and rinse, and towel dry, but my bare fingers touching it...NEVER!

The only person who has touched the table of my diamond is my daughter (she was 6). She got reprimanded, and never did it again!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AmeliaG|1312400820|2983340 said:
Maybe but when I read threads like this, I can't help but think, 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results'. Or maybe people just like to vent online and they go into 'maul' stores knowing they will be insulted, badly handled but at least they'll get a good vent here on PS about it.

If I'm treated poorly enough in a store to vent about it, I'm usually treated poorly enough never to grace their doors again and I don't care if anybody else thinks i'm overreacting. It just seems strange.

Marcy never said that this store had done anything wrong or treated her poorly prior to this. Now if she kept going back there, and they kept touching her diamond, then that'd be a different story.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only been on PS for a few years, but if I've learned one thing, when you start a topic you're bound to get differing viewpoints to your post. Are only people who feel the same as the OP allowed to contribute to the thread?

I've been told by other PS'ers that if a particular thread bothers me, I should stay out of it. Ok, fine, I've done that. But now I have to think through whether I can offer my own opinion in a thread?

I for one wouldn't be upset if someone touched my diamond, and if they did I really can't see myself calling them on it. Not to say others aren't allowed to feel differently (obviously some do) but I'm having trouble relating to being upset by it. I would certainly be upset if someone dropped my ring on a glass counter and acted like it was nothing, or insulted my stone.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1312403138|2983367 said:
I've only been on PS for a few years, but if I've learned one thing, when you start a topic you're bound to get differing viewpoints to your post. Are only people who feel the same as the OP allowed to contribute to the thread?

This, exactly.

Thing, I'm sorry but....a lot of times, you have differing opinions/thoughts in many threads so I don't know what the issue is.

Lets stop constantly pointing it out. "omggggzzzz someone has a different opinion, how could you possibly have a different opinion about something this little?!" because it focuses the attention on something that doesn't need the attention. And I'm not saying this to anyone specifically, I'm saying this in general.

We should all know by now that REGARDLESS of the nature of the thread...someone is bound to think differently.

anyways, back to the topic...

Are finger prints hard to clean off? whenever someone touch the table of my diamond I wipe it off on my clothes, lol.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1312403404|2983369 said:

This, exactly.

Thing, I'm sorry but....a lot of times, you have differing opinions/thoughts in many threads so I don't know what the issue is.

Lets stop constantly pointing it out. "omggggzzzz someone has a different opinion, how could you possibly have a different opinion about something this little?!" because it focuses the attention on something that doesn't need the attention. And I'm not saying this to anyone specifically, I'm saying this in general.

We should all know by now that REGARDLESS of the nature of the thread...someone is bound to think differently.

Are finger prints hard to clean off? whenever someone touch the table of my diamond I wipe it off on my clothes, lol.

Why are you apologizing? Of course I have differing opinions/thoughts-pointing that out is not going to make me mad!

Just so we're clear: people are allowed to post opposing viewpoints to the OP, but disagreeing with those opposing viewpoints is not okay? Allow me to use my confuzzled face again: :confused:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1312404065|2983380 said:

This, exactly.

Why are you apologizing? Of course I have differing opinions/thoughts-pointing that out is not going to make me mad!

Just so we're clear: people are allowed to post opposing viewpoints to the OP, but disagreeing with those opposing viewpoints is not okay? Allow me to use my confuzzled face again: :confused:

Maybe we're both confused?

I don't think its necessary to act like people are trying to stir the pot by having opposing opinions....

I just feel like every single time someone has a different opinion about something in a thread someone ALWAYS, ALWAYS has to start pointing fingers and saying "omg! you're totally trying to stir the pot by voicing your opposing opinion" and a lot of times, its done "discreetly."

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1312404286|2983384 said:

This, exactly.

I don't think its necessary to act like people are trying to stir the pot by having opposing opinions....

I just feel like every single time someone has a different opinion about something in a thread someone ALWAYS, ALWAYS has to start pointing fingers and saying "omg! you're totally trying to stir the pot by voicing your opposing opinion" and a lot of times, its done "discreetly."

Yeah I guess we're both confused! :cheeky: I am all for differing opinions/pot-stirring/whatever. I just thought this was a weird topic to argue about for a bunch of diamond-obsessed people!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1312404482|2983386 said:
Autumnovember|1312404286|2983384 said:

This, exactly.

Yeah I guess we're both confused! :cheeky: I am all for differing opinions/pot-stirring/whatever. I just thought this was a weird topic to argue about for a bunch of diamond-obsessed people!

Oh no, I understand. I didn't think anyone was arguing, maybe that was part of my confusion!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course people should be allowed to have opposing opinions. The opposing opinions should at least be based on accurate info--no one said it was the worst thing to ever happen and that they were ruined over it, it's just a vent thread.

Poor Marcy is probably regretting posting this now.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1312405464|2983400 said:
Of course people should be allowed to have opposing opinions. The opposing opinions should at least be based on accurate info--no one said it was the worst thing to ever happen and that they were ruined over it, it's just a vent thread.

Poor Marcy is probably regretting posting this now.

Exactly, thats my point. What is the issue? I didn't see any issues with anything anyone posted including the OP venting.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
After someone touches my diamond, I like to touch it myself so mine are the only fingerprints on it.

My bling, my grime, it's all good.

:cheeky:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1312398079|2983301 said:
platinumrock|1312384516|2983107 said:
Cehrabehra|1312364900|2982961 said:
platinumrock|1312337997|2982770 said:
LOL! You and your diamond must feel so violated. Did you clean your ring when you got home? Ugh stranger germs/oil. :knockout:

Is this serious or joking?

Living in China has absolutely reformed me of any germophobia. There's no way to function here and hold on to that. Each of us is "stranger germs and oil" to someone else that we don't know. The likelihood is that they are equivalent to us.

I also don't quite get the obsession of diamond clean. None of this thread really makes sense to me! I mean I thought I liked a clean diamond, but I guess I always thought the comments to this extent were kidding. I would have made the same comment that gypsy made because I was irritated, but I'm pissy when I'm irritated.

It was in good fun. The title of her thread made me laugh so I was trying to sympathize since this situation really bothered her. I used to be an elementary teacher so I'm used to other people's germs/oil.

Honestly, I don't really see what the big deal is. She's just venting about something that bothered her. It may seem trivial to others but to that person, it can really ruin their day.

Oh gosh, if something like that could ruin my day...I'd say I'd be a pretty happy person. I *WISH*!

I think I'd be more devastated if the jeweler damaged my stone or if it fell out from loose prongs. At least greasy fingerprints can always be cleaned but a missing diamond?? :errrr:

Besides, where else can we vent about unsolicited greasy fingerprints? Normal people just don't understand our obssession with light return. :bigsmile:

People that I know would just look at me like, "Seriously??"

@Rosetta: Baha! Can't nobody grease up my diamond like I can. :cheeky:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually Maul stores behave better than this store... which does have one of it's locations in a mall, but it's not a Maul store by classic definition. Maul stores you do get ignorance, but I have NEVER had a maul store refuse to clean my jewelry. That's the one thing they are consistently good about. I may have to say... you do have a steam cleaner right, cause with the pave I prefer not to have my rings in the US. But that's the extent of it.

This is the chain of stores that I referred to. And the PITA branch is in gorgeous (*snort*) Milpitas. Just in case you want to know where to avoid.

http://www.chpremier.com/

Monkey... sorry didn't mean to make you paranoid. Wearing a step cut is a different animal though. At least on mine if there is a finger print on the table it actually reflects through the facets. When I was first wearing it and I didn't know the 'personality' of step cuts the "mysteriously appearing inclusions" used to drive me batty. I'd be like... where did that come from!!!! Did I scrap my diamond somewhere? But I figured out that it was finger prints pretty quickly. I do carry a polishing cloth with me. It can still be distressing to look down and see something that looks like a feather staring up at me from 4 facets in the stone.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy, I get it. I think it's weird for anyone to pick up a ring the way your SA did, thumb on shank and forefinger on the face of your diamond (if I understood you correctly in your original post.) Most jewelers/SA's would grasp the ring between forefinger and thumb by the shank, it's just a more secure way to hold a ring, period. Anyway...

A couple months ago I was working and began helping a customer with climbing equipment. He spotted my ring as I pulled an item out of the case for him and asked me if he could take a closer look at it. I figured he would just move his face closer to my hand, but NOOOO. He quickly retrieved his loupe from a lanyard around his neck and LOUPED MY DIAMOND! I just about fell on the floor. He didn't ask me if he could loupe my stone, he asked to take a closer look. If he'd said "loupe" I would've had said no and that I wasn't comfortable with that. It was so strange!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1312424324|2983687 said:
Marcy, I get it. I think it's weird for anyone to pick up a ring the way your SA did, thumb on shank and forefinger on the face of your diamond (if I understood you correctly in your original post.) Most jewelers/SA's would grasp the ring between forefinger and thumb by the shank, it's just a more secure way to hold a ring, period. Anyway...

A couple months ago I was working and began helping a customer with climbing equipment. He spotted my ring as I pulled an item out of the case for him and asked me if he could take a closer look at it. I figured he would just move his face closer to my hand, but NOOOO. He quickly retrieved his loupe from a lanyard around his neck and LOUPED MY DIAMOND! I just about fell on the floor. He didn't ask me if he could loupe my stone, he asked to take a closer look. If he'd said "loupe" I would've had said no and that I wasn't comfortable with that. It was so strange!

Wow--very rude. Just wild to me that someone would think that was ok.

To me, it would be analogous to: "I really like your pants--" followed by pulling someone's waistband to get a look at the label and size. :shock:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
See, now I wouldn't have a problem with someone louping my stone either! I think it's odd, but not offensive.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb|1312425181|2983701 said:
See, now I wouldn't have a problem with someone louping my stone either! I think it's odd, but not offensive.

Jstar, had the circumstances been different i.e. if I had been in a jewelry store working, or at a jewelry store as a consumer, I wouldn't have blinked an eye. But I was working (at an outdoor/adventure store) talking to a customer about climbing gear (harnesses, headlamps, rope, carabiners, etc.) and he suddenly whips out a loupe without asking me if he can loupe my stone? Totally out of context, and he should've explained himself first.

I appreciate fine jewelry, obviously, and sometimes carry a loupe when I'm going to gem shows or jewelers. But I would NEVER just ask someone I don't know if I can "take a closer look" at their diamond, whip out my loupe that is discreetly hanging inside my buttoned-up shirt, and just have myself a 10x view of their stone! Some of us like "eye clean" stones for a reason--so the inclusions can't be seen unless magnified!

It is one thing to post here on a forum about diamonds the clarity, cut, color of my stone, but it is not information I typically share with the general public IRL. Ya know? I wouldn't say I was OFFENDED by this person's action, but I was definitely shocked.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I so agree with you about personal space. I am not Monk or anything but I don’t like my thing touched. DH is about the only one who gets away with touching my stuff (screen, food, silverware, pens, keyboard, ring, etc.) I work in a small office with 6 people and we all handle books, I wipe down my space and keyboards daily with a clorox wipe. It has helped keep me from getting sick. Asschers and EC certainly do show smudges more than a RB. I notice even little fuzzes or dust on my EC RHR and will wipe them off with a glass cleaner cloth.

Cehrabehra, I do like dirty and clean diamonds, I just think clean diamonds looks better.

Xiriah, I would be cringing too if someone was rubbing diamonds together.

Hudson Hawk, to me it’s just something I don’t like it’s certainly not going to ruin my day or send me off in a tizzy.

Amy’s Bling, agreed. Even if someone wants to see my ring up close it’s okay because if they smudge I’ll be cleaning it later anyway.

Laila619 I am sure this girl had no idea anyone would not like to have the table of their diamond touched. I wasn’t mean to her or anything. And yes, I am not a person that likes to stir up controversy so I would not have started this thread if I thought it would get all of this attention.

Platinumrock, this thread was all in good fun. Obviously not everyone on PS understands a vent about smudging up a diamond but more people understand here than out in my daily life.

MonkeyPie, I would have over my ring or at least stick my hand out but I had just set my ring down and she picked it up without asking.

Jewelerman, great advice. Other than when a store is checking my jewelry for a warranty I clean my jewelry myself.

AmeliaG, while I have no intention of buying from a mall jewelry store I still like to window shop and if there is a ring I am thinking of buying I’ll see if I can find something similar to see if I really like it.

Oobiecoo, that’s actually kind of rude to comment on the color of you diamond whether it’s a D or a M he could just say pretty diamond.

Autumnovember, exactly! If that’s the worst thing that happens to me - I am having a good day. Fingerprints wipe off quite easily, I use a glass cleaner cloth because even “I” have accidentally touched my diamond. My ering is too big and spins around on my finger.

Thing2of2, thanks. My topic here certainly is getting attention.

Jaysonsmom, when I had a .15 ct center diamond I didn’t think a thing about it. I am sure your daughter enjoys your sparkly diamond.

Junebug, by all means jump in on the discussion. I probably wouldn’t have said anything but I was pretty startled she just picked up my ring without asking then I saw her finger on my table and it just popped out of my mouth.

Rosetta, good idea. Just get your fingerprint on there and it’s all good.

Monnie, I agree, usually you see people pick up a ring by the shank. That is very freaking someone would carry a loupe with them and use it too look “closely” at your diamond.

IndyLady, I would really freak out if someone pulled on my waistband to see the label in my pants.

Jstarfireb, I would find someone carrying a loupe around that wanted to loupe my diamond very odd. But I’d be game.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1312398243|2983304 said:

Just for the record (and sheldon is keeping the record), I really don't feel any ill feelings toward those who obsess about the cleanliness of their diamonds - I've been here a while, I know how things can be. I'm certain the average joe out there would think that *I* obsess (and they'd be right in their perspective)... I guess I had never seen real anger or irritation associated with it - just mild annoyance. I *think* that gypsy would have only been mildly annoyed and not even posted if it wasn't for the irony that he wasn't going to clean it after effing it up. That crap annoys me too. But mostly my poking fun at people who obsess more than me is also just that, poking FUN. These are my comrades after all ;-)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1312424324|2983687 said:

On the show "Will and Grace" Karen would check out other people's diamonds with a loupe she wore around her neck, and I always thought it was really funny - but I never thought a person would ever actually do it IRL. I think it's a pretty strange thing to do, personally!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sara, I poke fun at myself too. My husband and our friends all know I like clean jewelry and sure tease me about it. It's all in good fun. :wavey:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay - dropping the i live in china thing *again* cause I just have to tell a couple stories when I read about the label on the waistband.

First of all I know *enough* chinese to not have people grab money out of my hands but yes, they do that. I've had it done to me a dozen times, maybe more. People will reach into your WALLET if they think you are too inept to figure out how much you owe them. And no, I never let them get away with it. I know all of my numbers up to 99,999 so if you say the bill is 31 rmb and I hand you a 50 I DO understand when you ask if I have 1rmb. And yeah maybe you see one in my wallet but that doesn't mean I want to use it! So keep your filthy (and I do mean that oh so literally) hands off my stuff!

I had a woman with an open mouth sore who kept touching it and then swatting at my arm when she laughed. I finally told her that it was contagious. Ugh! Nasty!!!

I went to go look at a coat for my daughter and the sales lady comes to me and says no those don't fit you and I said I know and she said come over here (this is all in chinese) and I said no I want to look at these and she said but you're too big and I said I know, I'm looking for my daughter, and then she lifts her shirt, exposes her jelly belly, puts her hands on it and shakes it wobbly up and down while saying, "is your daughter fat like you?"

The BEST place I've found to buy chicken, I try to just send my ayi to buy from there now because it's just gross. All of the chicken is laid out (it's ridiculously fresh so I'm not worried about room temp), and random people will paw through it and look at it then use the communal dirty rag to wipe their fingers then the butcher lady will get what they ask for, use the rag, then run her fingers through her hair, count money, hand it to the person then go back into the food. Chinese money is the dirtiest stuff on the planet, I'm certain. I'd rather LICK a toilet seat at disneyland than lick a 1rmb bill here. I have no doubt in my mind the toilet is far cleaner.

Germs and rudeness just run rampant here. I have so many more stories I could tell, but this is enough of a threadjack. What living here has done is that it has made me appreciate just how good we have it in the USA.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra|1312431583|2983785 said:
Okay - dropping the i live in china thing *again* cause I just have to tell a couple stories when I read about the label on the waistband.

First of all I know *enough* chinese to not have people grab money out of my hands but yes, they do that. I've had it done to me a dozen times, maybe more. People will reach into your WALLET if they think you are too inept to figure out how much you owe them. And no, I never let them get away with it. I know all of my numbers up to 99,999 so if you say the bill is 31 rmb and I hand you a 50 I DO understand when you ask if I have 1rmb. And yeah maybe you see one in my wallet but that doesn't mean I want to use it! So keep your filthy (and I do mean that oh so literally) hands off my stuff!

I had a woman with an open mouth sore who kept touching it and then swatting at my arm when she laughed. I finally told her that it was contagious. Ugh! Nasty!!!

I went to go look at a coat for my daughter and the sales lady comes to me and says no those don't fit you and I said I know and she said come over here (this is all in chinese) and I said no I want to look at these and she said but you're too big and I said I know, I'm looking for my daughter, and then she lifts her shirt, exposes her jelly belly, puts her hands on it and shakes it wobbly up and down while saying, "is your daughter fat like you?"

The BEST place I've found to buy chicken, I try to just send my ayi to buy from there now because it's just gross. All of the chicken is laid out (it's ridiculously fresh so I'm not worried about room temp), and random people will paw through it and look at it then use the communal dirty rag to wipe their fingers then the butcher lady will get what they ask for, use the rag, then run her fingers through her hair, count money, hand it to the person then go back into the food. Chinese money is the dirtiest stuff on the planet, I'm certain. I'd rather LICK a toilet seat at disneyland than lick a 1rmb bill here. I have no doubt in my mind the toilet is far cleaner.

Germs and rudeness just run rampant here. I have so many more stories I could tell, but this is enough of a threadjack. What living here has done is that it has made me appreciate just how good we have it in the USA.

:o

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome stories Sara. You know what is the most interesting part? I bet chinese who first come to the US are just as appalled at our day-to-day normal behavior too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results