shape
carat
color
clarity

Mali Garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if there''s a standard for Mali garnet? I haven''t been able to find anything like a standard so I wonder if it''s all about preference provided the stone has the grossular/andradite mix?

What''s your preference?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 5:00:20 PM
Author:klewis
I wonder if there's a standard for Mali garnet? I haven't been able to find anything like a standard so I wonder if it's all about preference provided the stone has the grossular/andradite mix?

What's your preference?
In what sense? Colour, RI etc?

I like all of the colour range - the one I have is honey gold with green and showing orange flashes in daylight, and then shows the green less in electric light.

The next two I'll be looking for will be a much greener one and a much yellower one. It's all subjective as far as I can see and I haven't noticed a premium for certain colours. There is a premium for quality material in sizes over 2cts though.

I'd have a preference for a decent dose of andradite and an RI towards the top of the range.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 5:22:13 PM
Author: Pandora II
Date: 3/28/2009 5:00:20 PM

Author:klewis

I wonder if there''s a standard for Mali garnet? I haven''t been able to find anything like a standard so I wonder if it''s all about preference provided the stone has the grossular/andradite mix?

What''s your preference?

In what sense? Colour, RI etc?

I like all of the colour range - the one I have is honey gold with green and showing orange flashes in daylight, and then shows the green less in electric light.

The next two I''ll be looking for will be a much greener one and a much yellower one. It''s all subjective as far as I can see and I haven''t noticed a premium for certain colours. There is a premium for quality material in sizes over 2cts though.

I''d have a preference for a decent dose of andradite and an RI towards the top of the range.

1 in hand and 2 on the way - you''re starting a family of them?
I was wondering about colour in particular. It would seem that premium is not about a a particular colour but wouldn''t the lighter colours show the high RI better and so be preferred?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
re colored stones: what is the desireable one year, is rejected another.

mz

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 6:14:09 PM
Author: klewis

1 in hand and 2 on the way - you''re starting a family of them?
I was wondering about colour in particular. It would seem that premium is not about a a particular colour but wouldn''t the lighter colours show the high RI better and so be preferred?
I collect garnets over any other type of gemstone, definitely my babies!

Unfortunately also having one of the two legged typed in the very near future, so have had to spend rock money on things like cots (and what is wrong with a decent cardboard box I ask!), so the 2 are not ''on the way'' but more ''works in progress''.
9.gif

RI and colour seems to be an interesting thing. Certainly with sphene that I have seen IRL, the paler and often the prettiest body colours haven''t always shown the best dispersion (too dark isn''t great either).

With demantoid, some of the best dispersion I''ve seen is in stones at the less preferred end of the spectrum (with the brownish cast and paler), yet the premium is for the very green stones.

The shape and cut of the stone will also make a difference. On the whole I like stones with high RI to be in cuts with lots of facets - ovals, cushions etc and avoid step-cuts.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Colors that are more pure are always valued more, regardless of material - any brown or grey in the color drops the price down. You are right about the lighter tones better showing off the brilliance, it''s simple optics - lighter stones always sparkle more as more light is reflected from inside the stone.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results