shape
carat
color
clarity

Mali Garnet from Gene!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
My Mali finally came in the mail today! I didn''t get it until it was dark so I haven''t been able to get a good look (or pictures) of the stone outside but I love it! It''s taken the spinel''s spot as my engagement ring (though I truely love my spinel .. it just took a few days!) and I''m really excited about this new project! I had a tough time taking good pictures of this stone - the stone is amazing in person!

As always - forgive my amateur photography, collages .. and the fingerprints on the stone!

Here''s the Mali alone ..

mgac.jpg

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
With YG and WG rings - the gold quality is horrible but it''s all I have at the house! I''m not sure where the YG ring came from .. my mom''s a PT and one of her patients gave it to her and the WG, well, it was a gift - a topaz ring (from Reeds! gah) that somehow found it''s way into a red candle ...

Which do you prefer? Set in a YG basket with WG shank or full WG?

mrc.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell me more like the ct weight and measurement? Can you also describe the colour? The picture isn''t very clear.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Last but not least - my stones together. I am very proud to now have 2 gemstones!

msc.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The mali seems to be competing with the yellow gold so I would not set it in YG. It doesn''t quite look right in white either...

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Oops! Sorry, I forgot about that part!

1.31 ct. - 6.5mm .. the color inside is hard to describe. I''d almost call it neon .. it''s an extremely bright yellowish, greenish gold color.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
If only the prongs were yellow gold would it compete? I kind of understand what you''re saying, but I''m new with this and it seems like the prongs are such a tiny part of a ring that the stone wouldn''t get a chance to compete. Could you explain that more?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, and I like the greenish color. BTW, your baby is simply adorable (in your avitar).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 11:37:04 PM
Author: MommaChristine
Oops! Sorry, I forgot about that part!

1.31 ct. - 6.5mm .. the color inside is hard to describe. I''d almost call it neon .. it''s an extremely bright yellowish, greenish gold color.
Would you describe it as a cool colour or warm?

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
TL - Thank you! That''s Andrew .. he''s 15 months old and quite a handful!

Chrono - That''s a good question .. I was going to say warm, because of the golden hues but picked it up to look closer and then wanted to say cool!

Perhaps I should just have Jim (from James Allen) decide when I send it to him? Is that a good or bad idea?

Here''s a picture of the actual ring for reference - from a PS member that I can''t remember .. sorry!

Rotate%20shots%20123456.jpg

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Picture overload but I wanted to give it one more shot for a clearer color. I hope it works .. if not I''m giving up!
38.gif
1.gif

BCH12345.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Yippy! Another Mali from Gene! Pretty pretty!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

And I ditto TL on your adorable baby!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. Thats a cool stone! I can''t figure out what color metal either!!! Maybe rose for some contrast??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it looks cool, then white will be fine. If warm, yellow or rose is good. However, I don''t think yellow is a good choice because it might blend too much with the stone colour.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 12:02:55 AM
TL - Thank you! That's Andrew .. he's 15 months old and quite a handful!

Chrono - That's a good question .. I was going to say warm, because of the golden hues but picked it up to look closer and then wanted to say cool!

Perhaps I should just have Jim (from James Allen) decide when I send it to him? Is that a good or bad idea?

Here's a picture of the actual ring for reference - from a PS member that I can't remember .. sorry!
This is a hard one, I think it might "disappear" in yellow gold, like Chrono was stating, but white gold may make it look washed out. I'm thinking rose gold would be nice, even though people might think it clashes. I love the picture of it in the box. The color kind of reminds me of Mochi's crysoberyl and she has some whiteflash cads of it in rose, white and green gold. I really liked it in the rose gold, although she's getting it set in green gold.

I have a 3 year old with a very similar smile and he has long hair as well. Andrew is sooooo cute!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The contrast of the white gold, although it may make the garnet look cooler, is very effective. The yellow gold is too similar a colour and the stone won''t stand out if you do it all in y/gold. A y/gold head and white gold ring might look good as you suggest but I think I''d be tempted to do all white.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 10:35:09 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
The contrast of the white gold, although it may make the garnet look cooler, is very effective. The yellow gold is too similar a colour and the stone won''t stand out if you do it all in y/gold. A y/gold head and white gold ring might look good as you suggest but I think I''d be tempted to do all white.
Probably more cost effective and easier to find a setting if she sticks with just 1 metal colour too.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your kind words and opinions - and the compliments about Andrew! I''m still stuck on what color gold, but Jim told me that they could do two-tone since they pour the basket and shank seperately. I''m going to e-mail him tomorrow and ask if they could do the basket in rose or green gold so that I know better what my options are!

TL - I love kids with lots of hair. It gives them so much character! From day 1 everyone thought Andrew was a girl, even though he was dressed head to toe in blue. What''s your 3 year olds name? Was he born with a lot of hair? I love kids .. they''re so much fun!

I''m going to hijack my own thread for a minute and post a picture of Andrew the day he was born ..
9.gif

newbornandrew1.png

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Back to the stone, so I don''t get in trouble for going off the topic of gemstones .. it''s been raining for the past 5 days, but I''m going to go outside in a bit to see the stone outside. Hopefully I''ll get a good picture out of it!

Yingh - I love your Mali, too! The cut it so unique and I love the flashes. You said something about not having a flashlight .. is that the correct way to capture flash in a stone?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
mali''s are incredibly hard to photograph. a brushed or hammered gold would compliment mali.

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 3:28:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and opinions - and the compliments about Andrew! I''m still stuck on what color gold, but Jim told me that they could do two-tone since they pour the basket and shank seperately. I''m going to e-mail him tomorrow and ask if they could do the basket in rose or green gold so that I know better what my options are!

TL - I love kids with lots of hair. It gives them so much character! From day 1 everyone thought Andrew was a girl, even though he was dressed head to toe in blue. What''s your 3 year olds name? Was he born with a lot of hair? I love kids .. they''re so much fun!

I''m going to hijack my own thread for a minute and post a picture of Andrew the day he was born ..
9.gif
OMG, he''s so cute and alert.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 3:35:59 PM
Author: movie zombie
mali''s are incredibly hard to photograph. a brushed or hammered gold would compliment mali.

mz
I didn''t think about that; I like that idea.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Cool stone! I second the idea of hammered or brushed gold.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Would I need to pick a new setting for brushed or hammered gold?

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
It really is impossible to capture the lime green color of the stone! Here''s 2 more pictures from outside where it''s still overcast and raining. I miss the sun!

mgo1.jpg

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Once more with the white and yellow gold ..

mgo2.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I love the colour of your mali. I''ve never viewed a mali garnet other than pics, but that green - I''m not sure how you correctly describe it in gem terms - but it is a favourite colour of mine. Come to think of it I have never read a gemological description of the colour of a mali garnet.
Happy hunting for the setting.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That mali is very pretty... It looks like a chrysoberyl.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That garnet sparkles like mad

Oh, I love the hair on you baby ;-)

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Greenish/gold is one of my favorite color combinations.

I love brushed finishes. I have that on lots of my things. It makes stones pop. Very elegant looking, also.

Cool stone, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results