shape
carat
color
clarity

Malaya garnet?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was simply sold to me as pink garnet, but it has a dusty rose color. Would it be considered Malaya? Photo taken in natural diffused light on overcast day. First photo has dark shading from my camera.
IMG_1247.jpeg IMG_1266.jpeg

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
It could be rhodolite as well, which is a rose-pink variety in the pyrope-almandine series.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be rhodolite as well, which is a rose-pink variety in the pyrope-almandine series.

True, but it’s pretty light for a three carat rhodolite.

Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Malaya garnet is just a marketing term for non-red, east African garnets. Since it's a pink garnet, if it's from East Africa you could probably call it that

It’s Tanzanian, but it could be a mix of almandine, pyrope and spessartite, giving it that dusty rose appearance.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Okay, Tanzania is in east Africa. Now I'm kinda embarrassed because I had to look that up. Also, for some reason, I thought Malaya garnet was just a lighter rhodolite garnet. In other words, I have no idea. :lol-2:

Pretty stone though!

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I may be wrong but I thought that malaia/malaya garnets had an orange component to them, i.e. pinkish orange or orangey-pink.

Reactions: T L

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’ve never seen any in person, but I have seen some of the pastel-pyropes described as pastel pink or light pink. Not what one usually expects from garnets!

Reactions: T L

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Malaya generally refers to a hybrid of pyrope and spessartite, so the color should be a transitional color from pink to orange (orange-pink or pink-orange). If additional almandine is mixed in, it will be more reddish. In short, Malaya should have an orange tint, especially not a purple tint. However, Malaya is not an official name after all, so it is not important whether it is called malaya or not. Gemstones are still based on appearance.

Hunter of Gems

Rough_Rock
I am Hunter of gems, I don't know how to send my post. I have the Alexandrite I was showing not a garnet.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I returned the stone. It was nothing like the photo, which I should have probably surmised. It was too good to be true. I did order it from Jedora.com, which is a subsidiary of JTV, so refunds are easy and highly reliable. Just beware of enhanced images.

Vendor photo attached

IMG_1401.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems there is a wide variety of color when it comes to these stones. The one I returned could definitely be considered Malaya based on color alone. However, one should never buy a gem based on its marketing name, but on the attractiveness instead (as well as other factors). The stone just didn’t do anything for me, especially when compared to my light pink spinels.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results