shape
carat
color
clarity

Malaya Garnet Setting Suggestions Needed (new pics)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks scrumptious in the first two pictures where it''s showing off a little purple.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 11:49:18 PM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 2/13/2009 11:40:46 PM
Author: omieluv

Yes, like TL said, the stone looks pretty good in the temp setting! Yeah, I would love a vintagy style with double clawed prongs...if you can find me a nice one around $300, you will be my hero..heh
1.gif
For you Omie, I will try.
2.gif
How are you doing? Everytime I see your avatar, I think of Peepers.
You are awesome...heh.
1.gif

Thank you for asking how I am doing. Actually, I was at a LFS last weekend and saw a piece of driftwood that inspired me and then I found plastic plants that are 22 inches long, which is the perfect length for my tank. After I got home, I could not wait, so I tore apart my tank and gave it a huge overhaul. I think it looks awesome. The new piece of driftwood works well with another piece I bought last year, but did not use. So now I have $80 in driftwood in my tank...hopefully the new dwarf bristlenose pleco I will be adding will not destroy them right away. Still need to buy a heater though, but I am not rushing, as I am still deliberating on what I want to stock the tank with.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 11:53:03 PM
Author: JulieN
I think it looks scrumptious in the first two pictures where it''s showing off a little purple.
To be honest, I think it could have been picking up some colors from the surrounding flowers. However, the stone does turn a nice shade of red in certain light conditions.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 12:05:00 AM

Date: 2/13/2009 11:49:18 PM

Date: 2/13/2009 11:40:46 PM

Yes, like TL said, the stone looks pretty good in the temp setting! Yeah, I would love a vintagy style with double clawed prongs...if you can find me a nice one around $300, you will be my hero..heh
1.gif
For you Omie, I will try.
2.gif
How are you doing? Everytime I see your avatar, I think of Peepers.
You are awesome...heh.
1.gif

Thank you for asking how I am doing. Actually, I was at a LFS last weekend and saw a piece of driftwood that inspired me and then I found plastic plants that are 22 inches long, which is the perfect length for my tank. After I got home, I could not wait, so I tore apart my tank and gave it a huge overhaul. I think it looks awesome. The new piece of driftwood works well with another piece I bought last year, but did not use. So now I have $80 in driftwood in my tank...hopefully the new dwarf bristlenose pleco I will be adding will not destroy them right away. Still need to buy a heater though, but I am not rushing, as I am still deliberating on what I want to stock the tank with.

No, you are!
41.gif
Oh, I''m so happy that you''re setting up your aquarium again!! Can you post pics of what you have so far? Do you have any live plants? I tried adding live plants to mine before, but the oscars destroyed them. So everything is made of plastic or rock...except for the two pieces of driftwood I''ve had in my tank since 2004. And I so miss having a pleco to patrol the lower level. I remember having to drop some algae tablets at night so he can eat.

Have you thought about a saltwater set-up? The salt-water fishes come in such vibrant and rich colors. What kind of heater are you thinking about buying?

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 12:22:45 AM
No, you are!
41.gif
Oh, I'm so happy that you're setting up your aquarium again!! Can you post pics of what you have so far? Do you have any live plants? I tried adding live plants to mine before, but the oscars destroyed them. So everything is made of plastic or rock...except for the two pieces of driftwood I've had in my tank since 2004. And I so miss having a pleco to patrol the lower level. I remember having to drop some algae tablets at night so he can eat.

Have you thought about a saltwater set-up? The salt-water fishes come in such vibrant and rich colors. What kind of heater are you thinking about buying?
Here is a picture, which I took an hour after I set everything up. The water is a bit cloudy, but it is not too bad. Now I am waiting for the red tint from the driftwood to filter out, otherwise I would have posted a more recent picture. No, I absolutely do not have live plants for a few reasons. First, I cannot even keep ivy alive, so I have accepted the fact that I was not blessed with a green thumb. Secondly, aquatic plants are too much work! I have thought about saltwater, but it really does not interest me. Seriously, I am not sure why, because saltwater tanks can be quite beautiful. Perhaps it is because I have been on the freshwater side of the hobby for so long that it is very familiar to me. Regarding the heater, I think I am going to order one of those Stealth heaters people have suggested on the fish forum I visit.

Ooops, this was a bit larger than intended...sorry.

Aquarium.omie2.02.09.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
OK, back to the topic. From all those you found on uniquesettings, I like ENR2601, and a six prong one you posted in that bunch of six links (it''s the last one of those, don''t have the item number). It''s because they would protect the stone well IMO (as much as it''s possible without bezeling it) and that''s a serious consideration for a garnet of this unusual shape.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 3:33:54 AM
Author: ma re
OK, back to the topic. From all those you found on uniquesettings, I like ENR2601, and a six prong one you posted in that bunch of six links (it's the last one of those, don't have the item number). It's because they would protect the stone well IMO (as much as it's possible without bezeling it) and that's a serious consideration for a garnet of this unusual shape.
Thanks for redirecting this thread! I like ENR2601, as it has a low profile and I liked the last of the six links because of the engraving. Though you listed your preferences from the Unique collection, do you have an example of a setting you feel would work well for the stone? I am open to other vendors, just posted styles from the Unique site because it was suggested by GOG. I will also shoot BB an email, asking him about 4 prongs vs 6 prongs for this stone.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
That setting is beautiful!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 3:44:15 AM

Thanks for redirecting this thread! I like ENR2601, as it has a low profile and I liked the last of the six links because of the engraving. Though you listed your preferences from the Unique collection, do you have an example of a setting you feel would work well for the stone? I am open to other vendors, just posted styles from the Unique site because it was suggested by GOG. I will also shoot BB an email, asking him about 4 prongs vs 6 prongs for this stone.
Well, don''t have any suggestions, except maybe one of those split shanks with six prongs (shank split in 3). That might look delicate and interesting, as well as being protective.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Omie, your tank looks beautiful! The driftwood and high plants make it look alive. It looks so earthy and inviting. I can''t wait to see what fishes you will choose.

Okay, I''ll stop hijacking this thread about fishes.
2.gif

Back to the topic. Out of the three choices from the Unique website, I like the first ring with U prongs. But I still LOVE the vintagy setting with yellow prongs.

Oh, and your malaya reminds me of black cherry. Reddish purply goodness.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 5:06:23 AM

Well, don't have any suggestions, except maybe one of those split shanks with six prongs (shank split in 3). That might look delicate and interesting, as well as being protective.
Funny you should mention split prongs. I had emailed Barry last night to get his opinion and he suggests 8 prongs or 4 split prongs (at each corner), for protection. Looks like I am going to open my search, as I cannot seem to find mountings like what he has mentioned. On a side note, he said he does not thin out the girdles on stones of this style, as corners would be more prone to breakage.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 3:55:04 AM
Author: szh07
That setting is beautiful!
Yes, I thought it was interesting too and really like how low it is set. The person who cut the stone (BB), said that he cuts the crown a bit higher so that enough light can penetrate the stone. So even though this setting is low, it should be ok.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 10:37:40 AM
Omie, your tank looks beautiful! The driftwood and high plants make it look alive. It looks so earthy and inviting. I can't wait to see what fishes you will choose.

Back to the topic. Out of the three choices from the Unique website, I like the first ring with U prongs. But I still LOVE the vintagy setting with yellow prongs.

Oh, and your malaya reminds me of black cherry. Reddish purply goodness.
Thank you. As you can see, I try to get as close to a natural look as possible. By incorporating driftwood, rocks and a neutral substrate, I do not feel as guilty for using plastic plants. Plants pictured look fake because they are new, but over time, they will darken.

Anyway, I do like the idea of a vintage setting, but I think the one pictured is a bit busy for me. However, I would love to find something with split prongs and a vintage/antique feel to it. Probably not possible with my budget though. Also, a vintage look is not a "must have," as I have 2 antique rings from the 1920's (I think) that were passed down to me (one I have posted, the other, I am waiting for the right time). Of course, they are platinum, but, they scratch my antique itch quite nicely right now. If I can find an elegant/interesting yellow gold setting in my budget I will be fine with that. Since reading Barry's response, my main criteria now is to find a setting that will protect the stone's corners. However, I am not very good at this. I wonder if Stuller has a setting like what I am describing.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Okay, from reading responses, I think Ma Re's suggestion below is interesting, yet seems more protective than a U-prong setting. I know BB suggested 8-prong and/or split prongs, which I will still hunt for too. Chrono, I suspect I know which one you were referring to, but I am not completely sure. Let me know, as I respect your opinion as well.

http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/11361

Unique.ENR201.omie.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 1:36:12 PM
Okay, from reading responses, I think Ma Re''s suggestion below is interesting, yet seems more protective than a U-prong setting. I know BB suggested 8-prong and/or split prongs, which I will still hunt for too. Chrono, I suspect I know which one you were referring to, but I am not completely sure. Let me know, as I respect your opinion as well.

I agree. If your priority is security over aesthetics, then this setting would be more practical. It looks much more secure than the U prong.

Do prefer low and simple settings? I was going to suggest a cathedral setting with or without the bead-set sidestones, but it might be a little high for you. And to find one with a $300 budget....that will be a challenge. But it can be done!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 1:36:12 PM
Okay, from reading responses, I think Ma Re's suggestion below is interesting, yet seems more protective than a U-prong setting. I know BB suggested 8-prong and/or split prongs, which I will still hunt for too. Chrono, I suspect I know which one you were referring to, but I am not completely sure. Let me know, as I respect your opinion as well.

Yup, that's the one I like. It's unique and open with some flowiness to add interest.
After seeing the 3 posted, my favourite is the 1st u-prong setting. The 3rd u-prong setting is lower but it doesn't flow as well. A u-prong setting is safe, certainly no less safer than the other prong settings, otherwise they would not be selling it.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 2:14:17 PM
Author: Chrono

Yup, that''s the one I like. It''s unique and open with some flowiness to add interest.
After seeing the 3 posted, my favourite is the 1st u-prong setting. The 3rd u-prong setting is lower but it doesn''t flow as well. A u-prong setting is safe, certainly no less safer than the other prong settings, otherwise they would not be selling it.
Thank you for your feedback. There is no doubt the u-prong setting is safe for standard stones, but with the stone I have, I would be afraid for the two exposed corners of the stone. When Barry suggested he would prefer an 8-prong, it had me wondering about the u-prong style (though I really do like u-prong settings.)

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 2:13:03 PM

I agree. If your priority is security over aesthetics, then this setting would be more practical. It looks much more secure than the U prong.

Do prefer low and simple settings? I was going to suggest a cathedral setting with or without the bead-set sidestones, but it might be a little high for you. And to find one with a $300 budget....that will be a challenge. But it can be done!
Not sure if a cathedral setting would be optimal, since Barry said he cuts the crown higher with this style. The stone is also deep, so I think a cathedral setting might be too high for me. My logic could be completely wrong though, someone correct me if needed (my feelings do not get hurt easily).

Bead-set side stones are not necessary and I think this stone should stand alone, though I would keep an open mind if sidestones do not detract from the garnet. This is why I would like to find a setting with simple antique inspired engraving, which could give it just enough interest, without going over the top.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are very concerned, that how about a 8 pronged U-style setting? I'm not sure of it's doable in a ring but I've seen it in earrings.
Off to find some pictures...
25.gif

http://www.stuller.com/public/images.aspx?type=J&item=252490&img=/apps/images/findings/21125_W_side.jpg
I know it's for earrings but see how the basket is relatively open but you still have the double prongs?

I also recall seeing a much prettier version, where the basket is a u-prong.
http://www.niceice.com/dvatche/dvatche_platinum_2.php
Nice Ice has pictures for a double u-prong setting. I know it's more embellished than what you are looking for but it only proves that there must be a simpler version out there.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 10:39:46 PM
Author: Chrono
If you are very concerned, that how about a 8 pronged U-style setting? I''m not sure of it''s doable in a ring but I''ve seen it in earrings.
Off to find some pictures...
25.gif

http://www.stuller.com/public/images.aspx?type=J&item=252490&img=/apps/images/findings/21125_W_side.jpg
I know it''s for earrings but see how the basket is relatively open but you still have the double prongs?

I also recall seeing a much prettier version, where the basket is a u-prong.
http://www.niceice.com/dvatche/dvatche_platinum_2.php
Nice Ice has pictures for a double u-prong setting. I know it''s more embellished than what you are looking for but it only proves that there must be a simpler version out there.

Thanks for your help Chrono! Ever since reading BB''s concerns, I have grown a bit paranoid. He said that prongs that coincide with the girdle facets would be the safest for setting, so now that adds a bit more of a challenge to my search.

The Unique site has two square 4-prong settings:

This one looks a bit too closed off:
ENR835 http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/1128

However, this one is a bit better:
http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/1065

However, they do have the following shown in round:

ENR513 http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/1046

ENR7866 http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/18396

I think I will try searching for 8 pronged U-style settings later tonight, as Unique did not have any. I wish I knew of other vendors to try, as Stuller had 8-prong settings but only for round.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well I was also going to say 8 prongs, but knowing your budget I figured it would be useless to mention, as there''s very little chance you can find a semi mounting with 8 prongs anywhere (can''t say I remember ever seing one). Maybe it could be found at some high-end "designer" vendor, but for much more. So I think 6 prongs would be more economical and easier to find, as well as reasonably protective. Either that or go with a halo for protection. There''s also a way to set the stone slightly lower than the rest of the ring, similar to THIS, which would still allow light, but also protect the stone (it doesen''t need to have a halo, but it can). Flat prongs such as in THIS example would also serve the purpose even though there''s just 4 of them, cause if they would be long enough they''d almost close the corners. But then, that''s almost like bezeling and not very delicate (but if you like it, why not). And then there''s another idea I came up with, modifying double claw prongs like those found in the second testimonial from the bottom HERE. A compentent jeweller could probably spread them slightly apart, so that you get the look and protection of 8 prongs.

Hope this helps.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 3:14:00 AM
Well I was also going to say 8 prongs, but knowing your budget I figured it would be useless to mention, as there's very little chance you can find a semi mounting with 8 prongs anywhere (can't say I remember ever seing one). Maybe it could be found at some high-end 'designer' vendor, but for much more. So I think 6 prongs would be more economical and easier to find, as well as reasonably protective. Either that or go with a halo for protection. There's also a way to set the stone slightly lower than the rest of the ring, similar to THIS, which would still allow light, but also protect the stone (it doesen't need to have a halo, but it can). Flat prongs such as in THIS example would also serve the purpose even though there's just 4 of them, cause if they would be long enough they'd almost close the corners. But then, that's almost like bezeling and not very delicate (but if you like it, why not). And then there's another idea I came up with, modifying double claw prongs like those found in the second testimonial from the bottom HERE. A compentent jeweller could probably spread them slightly apart, so that you get the look and protection of 8 prongs.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your input. I think what I need to do is print out pictures of examples you have provided and take them to my jeweler to see what he can do for me. Perhaps there are stock settings that he knows of that would work.

However, I decided to take a peek at the LOGR store just to see what they have going. I found a couple of interesting settings, but not sure if they would be protective enough.

Princess 1

This oval looks to have split prongs, maybe the vendor could modify it for my stone shape
Oval Split Prong

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 9:04:24 PM

Thank you for your input. I think what I need to do is print out pictures of examples you have provided and take them to my jeweler to see what he can do for me. Perhaps there are stock settings that he knows of that would work.

However, I decided to take a peek at the LOGR store just to see what they have going. I found a couple of interesting settings, but not sure if they would be protective enough.

Princess 1

This oval looks to have split prongs, maybe the vendor could modify it for my stone shape
Oval Split Prong
Neither of these looks very protective to me, and the oval has the look of double prongs, but they don''t seem to be split (looks like they''re joined together so only look like double prongs while it''s actually 4 prongs).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The oval appears to have faux split prongs? If you look at the inside, they are joined. Maybe it''s done this way for extra strength?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results