shape
carat
color
clarity

Malaya garnet from BB''s may drop

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
My new malaya garnet is finally here.
36.gif
Its colour varies depending on the light source; sometimes it''s a dark orangish red, sometimes it''s a dark pink, sometimes it''s a bronzy brown... seems like it can''t make up its mind on what colour it wants to be.

My lovely DH took some photos for me today, against the strong cold winds.

First photo is garnet on the rocks:

IMG_0953s.JPG

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
12.gif
Second photo with a ''playmate'':

IMG_0950s.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
An indoor photo, in normal indoor light, the colour is more orange brown, totally different from the pink colour it could be:

IMG_09rrs.JPG

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Fourth, malaya on a dark stone:

IMG_0954s.JPG

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Fifth:

IMG_0949s.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Sixth, garnet inside a pink gerbera:

IMG_0963s.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Another flower pic:

IMG_0970s.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lastly with my other red and pink stones:

IMG_0959s.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Lori

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Before having the garnet in hand I want to set it in a modern pink gold ring, but I'm not sure if pink gold will suit the garnet when it's indoor because it turns to a dark orangey bronze colour. Maybe pink gold will help the stone stay pink? Any setting and metal colour ideas will be most appreciated.

Here's a shade of pink gold I originally want for my garnet, the photo is from evamartin.com and this ring is one of her creation.

sweetpea1.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 5:28:29 AM
Author: loriken214
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Lori
Thanks Lori for stopping by!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
What a baby! Congrats!

I think pink gold will work great even when it is in its ''brown'' mood.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2009 4:06:06 AM
Author: Lovinggems
An indoor photo, in normal indoor light, the colour is more orange brown, totally different from the pink colour it could be:
That''s interesting, did you take this photo in fluorescents? Typically all the Malayas I''ve seen go more brown/peachy outdoors, and stay more pink in incandescent lighting. I have two from Barry, and that''s what I''ve noticed. That''s why they''re known as the evening stone. Well it''s very nice. Let us know what you decide to do with it.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 9:49:16 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

That''s interesting, did you take this photo in fluorescents? Typically all the Malayas I''ve seen go more brown/peachy outdoors, and stay more pink in incandescent lighting. I have two from Barry, and that''s what I''ve noticed. That''s why they''re known as the evening stone. Well it''s very nice. Let us know what you decide to do with it.
TL, I checked and my bulbs are energy saving fluorescents, that''s my normal indoor lights, maybe I should change light bulbs...
11.gif

It''s a lovely pink outdoors, I can''t see any browns. Under my garage lights, I think they''re incandescent, it''s a lovely pinkish red with some hint of orange.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
29.gif

Date: 5/16/2009 10:37:12 AM

Date: 5/16/2009 9:49:16 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

That's interesting, did you take this photo in fluorescents? Typically all the Malayas I've seen go more brown/peachy outdoors, and stay more pink in incandescent lighting. I have two from Barry, and that's what I've noticed. That's why they're known as the evening stone. Well it's very nice. Let us know what you decide to do with it.
TL, I checked and my bulbs are energy saving fluorescents, that's my normal indoor lights, maybe I should change light bulbs...
11.gif

It's a lovely pink outdoors, I can't see any browns. Under my garage lights, I think they're incandescent, it's a lovely pinkish red with some hint of orange.
That explains it. My malayas go the most brown under fluorescents. Outdoors they're a combination of peach and pink and in hallogens and other non-fluorescent artificial light, they're more pink. I don't wear my Malaya ring to work because all we have is fluorescents. It's funny because most of my gems do great in fluorescent lighting, but just not the Malayas.
8.gif

I love how all my gems look in the garage lighting - funny how you mention that. I want to install garage lighting everywhere! LOL!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love mlalayas and yours is very pretty. I like the photo with the red stones. What are they?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 10:47:11 AM
Author: innerkitten
I love mlalayas and yours is very pretty. I like the photo with the red stones. What are they?
Thanks Yingh, TL and Innerkitten for your kind comments.

IK- the larger one is a rubellite and the pear is a ruby. The cuts aren''t as nice as Barry''s stones, especially the ruby, but they have really nice colours.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your stone, the pictures your hubby took are beautiful. I love how the color shifts in different lighting too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love malayas as always! And yours definitely looks gorgeous!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous Malaya - and that cut is beautiful!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW I think your new stone is just wonderful. I really like the variety of colors it shows too. Interesting.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone!
30.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful stone!! Pictures are lovely, you hubby did good!

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
really pretty stone I love the colour
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink gold would be my suggestion to go with all its moods. I think you need a room in your house with incandescents just for gemstone viewing.
31.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you LW, MtG, LtP, Cinnamon, SH, Brandy, Mochi, BA and Chrono. The Colour Stone forum is now my favourite online forum, I love looking at all the gemstones and the lively discussions.

Chrono - I agree I need to change my lights, well at least my bedroom lights.
11.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I keep upping the "thread views" on this thread by coming back to look at your lovely stone. I just LOVE the variety of colors it shows off.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah! Just beautiful!!! Great pics too!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s lovely!

Regarding lights, keep in mind that they''re just one factor when it comes to how gems will look. Other things like surrounding colors in the room, your wardrobe etc. all make a difference. For example, it just happens that my yellow gold pieces look best in my dining room regardless of light source, cause it''s walls are painted light yellow. The effect may not be as strong when it comes to gemstones, but it sure makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results