shape
carat
color
clarity

Making drop earrings. Where does the clip attach? Help please!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo all! :wavey:

DKJ is making a pair of cluster drop earrings for my goddaughter's 21st birthday. The center stone is bezeled. The outer stones are bezeled. They'll be on a sort of shepherd's hook - but the hook will close on a hinge so they can't drop out of her ears.

My question: where should the hook attach to the cluster - and how? Does it attach to a small ring? Does it attach between the diamond 'petals'? To the top of a petal?

I've seen a CAD and Amy has it attaching to the top or a petal. But I'm not sure it looks correct to my eye. I mean - she would obviously know - I think I just need to see photos of finished cluster drop earrings.

Photos please? I'd like to let her know today, if possible.

@missy - would you please join this thread, AG? I *know* you have cluster drop photos on PS.

Thanks everyone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely gift! Generous and gorgeous!

Here are some examples. I hope this helps.
Obviously there is more than one way to attach them and it just depends on the look you are going for...for me the critical issue is that there is articulation. Movement is key. I prefer a short attachment for subtle movement. Swish swish ever so gently as one moves.

dreamoecdangles.jpg

dreamoecearrings.jpg

Here is a longer attachment. Not my preference but still a valid choice.

clusterdiamondearrings.jpg

Apologies for not being able to give credit for the above photos. I had them saved in my pic file but I don't remember whose they are.

Here are my cluster drop earrings

oecclustersshowingpink.png

What a great project @mrs-b and E is a lucky girl.:appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much, @missy!

ETA. Do you happen to have any photos of the back of the first pair? I think that's the sort of clasp I've been trying to describe to Amy. ( - failing miserably!)

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much, @missy!

ETA. Do you happen to have any photos of the back of the first pair? I think that's the sort of clasp I've been trying to describe to Amy. ( - failing miserably!)

I don't have photos of the backs of the first earrings but my antique drops have the same back I believe. Let me take a photo. BRB.

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 9.24.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 9.23.48 AM.png

Hope you find this helpful. XO.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bless you, @missy! Thank you so much! <3

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results