shape
carat
color
clarity

Making Decision on Round Diamond

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
Thanks in advance for any analysis/advise about the below diamonds. I've been searching for a while and think I have finally narrowed it down to a final 3. I set out to find a round diamond, over 1 carat. Was initially only looking at colorless diamonds, but eventually expanded my search to include G and H, as I feel like it may not make a huge difference with the "True Hearts" diamonds. I was hoping to stay under or just a bit over $8,000 with the stone and setting combined, so all of these diamonds are in my price range.

I am currently awaiting an inspection from James Allen on all three of these diamonds, but it is taking longer than I expected and would like to make a decision in order to have the ring in hand by a certain date. What is your analysis of the below diamonds? Anything I should be concerned about? Pros and cons with each? Am I getting a good bang for my buck?

I hate not having the diamond inspected by JA gemologist, but I'm really getting pressed for time at this point. I've been researching for quite a while, so just want to make sure I'm getting a good deal for the money.

Setting:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-thin-french-cut-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7092

Option #1:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.06-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2061665

Option #2:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.11-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1917076

Option #3:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.08-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1925501

Thanks for your help! Also, I have all 3 diamonds on hold, so don't worry if it says "not available"

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, well they are all nice and I dont see any reason off the bat to exclude any of them. For some reason I like the looks
of the 1.06 the best. By strict standards I dont think it would be considered H&A though. I think you are going to have to
wait for the gemologist review.

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
Are the JA gemologist analysis of diamonds fairly helpful/informative? I was disappointed to learn that it would be 5 business days to hear anything back. I had hoped to be able to make a purchase early this week to have the complete diamond/setting by a particular date, but had always envisioned having a gemologist inspect the diamond in person before purchase.

Just trying to determine whether or not to hold out for the inspection to ensure I get the best diamond for my money or if I can make a confident decision without an inspection.

I agree the 1.06 looks a little off on the symmetry with the H&As. But the light performance looks pretty great on all of these (via the idealscope). What are the downfalls of the diamond not being a "true H&A" by strict standards? In other words, what aspect of the diamond does the H&A affect?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cdreb09|1473810929|4076111 said:
Are the JA gemologist analysis of diamonds fairly helpful/informative? I was disappointed to learn that it would be 5 business days to hear anything back. I had hoped to be able to make a purchase early this week to have the complete diamond/setting by a particular date, but had always envisioned having a gemologist inspect the diamond in person before purchase.
When the stones are not located in the US it takes time to get them here. You can trust the gemologist report.

Just trying to determine whether or not to hold out for the inspection to ensure I get the best diamond for my money or if I can make a confident decision without an inspection.
You have already eliminated bad performers. Now you are down to the minutia. One may be ever so slightly better than the other but
they are all nice.

I agree the 1.06 looks a little off on the symmetry with the H&As. But the light performance looks pretty great on all of these (via the idealscope). What are the downfalls of the diamond not being a "true H&A" by strict standards? In other words, what aspect of the diamond does the H&A affect?
It's more of a mind clean thing. I dont think you'll notice anything day to day. I personally would not be too concerned but someone who is really picky would be. If you dont have time to wait, I think the 1.11 checks most the boxes. AGS000 and nice H&A.

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
Thanks you that is very helpful! I've actually switched up my order a bit and now have the below diamond on hold. I had my eyes set on it a few weeks ago, but someone else must have put it on hold. But now it's back on the market?

Do you think this diamond is worth the extra $ for increased size and color, but a decrease in clarity? I'm not terribly concerned with the decrease in clarity, as it looks eye clean. But wondering if the performance/ H&A on the 1.19 will be better, in addition to it being bigger and having better color. They both seem like great values for the money, which makes it a tough decision (between the 1.11 and 1.19). Would spending the extra $ be worth it?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.19-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1966503

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cdreb09|1473863985|4076391 said:
Thanks you that is very helpful! I've actually switched up my order a bit and now have the below diamond on hold. I had my eyes set on it a few weeks ago, but someone else must have put it on hold. But now it's back on the market?

Do you think this diamond is worth the extra $ for increased size and color, but a decrease in clarity? I'm not terribly concerned with the decrease in clarity, as it looks eye clean. But wondering if the performance/ H&A on the 1.19 will be better, in addition to it being bigger and having better color. They both seem like great values for the money, which makes it a tough decision (between the 1.11 and 1.19). Would spending the extra $ be worth it?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.19-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1966503

:love: I really love the look of the F and the IS looks slightly better than the H, too. They're both showing as unavailable so no prices are listed...what's the $ difference between the 2?

Some people here have "mind clean" issues and prefer VS+ stones. I'm not one of those people as long as a stone is eye clean and the inclusions don't pose any durability issues, I think it's a great area to compromise in to get bigger size and better color in this case. :wavey:

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Apologies for the price omission, they are listed below:

1.11 carat- $7,280
1.19 carat- $8,190

I'm strongly considering making the purchase today and not waiting for the inspection, just to ensure I have it in hand when I want it.

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
I may be splitting hairs at this point, but I'm really struggling with the decision of purchasing either the 1.11 carat or the 1.19 carat. The reason for the difference in price is obvious:

1.19-Larger size+better color+lesser clarity= $8,190
vs.
1.11- Smaller size+lesser color+better clarity= $7,280

I'm just really struggling with determining whether or not the 1.11 carat will look THAT much different than the 1.19 in terms of size and color. Would the untrained eye be able to tell much of a difference between the two, in terms of size and color?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cdreb09|1473865039|4076404 said:
Thanks! Apologies for the price omission, they are listed below:

1.11 carat- $7,280
1.19 carat- $8,190

I'm strongly considering making the purchase today and not waiting for the inspection, just to ensure I have it in hand when I want it.

Karl K has some concerns with a crystal and clouds. The 1.19 has a crystal and cloud on the table. If any stone really needs a
gemologist review its probably that one. However, JA has a good return policy so ...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-james-allen-gemologist-inspection-experience.225525/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-james-allen-gemologist-inspection-experience.225525/[/URL]

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
Finally got my inspection results back from JA and its made me even more confused. I was leaning towards the 1.11 or 1.19, but the gemologist mentions that the 1.08 carat is the best diamond. What confuses me the most is I feel like the results doesn't really tell me any particular drawbacks/cons to the 1.11 or 1.19 stones. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to making a decision!

As a reminder, here is a link to all 3 diamonds:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.11-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1917076

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.08-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1925501

Thank you for your patience while waiting for the gemologist inspection and idealscope images of diamonds 1925501 ($7,450), 1966503 ($8,190), and 1917076 ($7,280). You’ll find images attached to this email.

I am pleased to inform you that diamond 1925501 ($7,450) is a dazzling, eye clean diamond. It is a true “H” color that faces up a gorgeous white all around. This diamond has excellent brilliance and fire that spreads nicely throughout, making the diamond very bright and balanced. With all these excellent characteristics, our gemologist indicated that this is the best overall diamond from your set.

Diamonds 1966503 ($8,190), and 1917076 ($7,280) are both amazing options as well. Very close behind to diamond 1925501 ($7,450) in terms or performance and appearance. Both diamonds are true to their color, with diamond 1966503 ($8,190) being whitest of the set. Both diamonds have excellent brilliance and fire that spreads exquisitely throughout, though while they are excellent diamonds our gemologist still felt that diamond 1925501 ($7,450) is the slightly better performer.

I am positive that diamond 1925501 ($7,450) is the best option for you. Being ranked first among the three by our gemologist, this diamond shows all signs to provide you a breath taking performance.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Shelby_Buchroeders|1474318499|4078515 said:
My personal opinion? You are paying for unnecessary, jumps in rarity (not beauty) with the clarity and color ratings.

The 1.08 isn't GIA certified so you aren't comparing "like" diamonds in my opinion. For that reason alone, I'd go with the 1.19 but then again, I'm not willing to pay for the rarity (aka price) jump the top 1% of DEF diamonds carry. Nonetheless, a triple X has incredible fire and scintillation.
I'm not going to comment on which stone is the best, as there are some far more educated prosumers who have chimed in here. I will chime into say that the 1.08 is AGS graded, which is equivalent in some ways and considered better in other ways than GIA grading.

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
Shelby_Buchroeders|1474318499|4078515 said:
My personal opinion? You are paying for unnecessary, jumps in rarity (not beauty) with the clarity and color ratings.

The 1.08 isn't GIA certified so you aren't comparing "like" diamonds in my opinion. For that reason alone, I'd go with the 1.19 but then again, I'm not willing to pay for the rarity (aka price) jump the top 1% of DEF diamonds carry. Nonetheless, a triple X has incredible fire and scintillation.

I know there are differing opinions on AGS certifications and GIA, but is it really enough of a difference that I'd be comparing apples to oranges instead of apples to apples?

I get the point about paying more for "rarity" as opposed to beauty, but it sounds like you still prefer the 1.19 carat, which is the most expensive.

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
Seems like 3 great options and going to be making my decision today. I could be wrong, but I think I've come to the conclusion that there isn't going to be THAT much of a difference in size between the 3 stones. I hadn't really considered whether the diamonds were AGS or GIA certified in the past, I just assumed they were both pretty much on par with each other. Should I be holding one to a different standard than the other? I would think the JA gemologist would recommend the best stone, regardless of lab.

Since their review didn't really point out any negative aspects of any of the stones, it's hard to eliminate any of them, but I'm leaning towards the recommendation of purchasing the 1.08. Anyone else see any pros/cons to these stones/can read through the lines better than I can on these inspection results?

Thanks for all your help.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the gemologist was able to view the diamonds, BG must have them in-house. Ask them to send you a video of the two contenders on a hand side-by-side. If they look the same to you, I'd go with the bigger one.

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
rockysalamander|1474376604|4078748 said:
Since the gemologist was able to view the diamonds, BG must have them in-house. Ask them to send you a video of the two contenders on a hand side-by-side. If they look the same to you, I'd go with the bigger one.

I'm not sure those images will be available as the diamonds are not yet in a setting.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
Shelby_Buchroeders|1474387394|4078838 said:
cdreb09|1474373945|4078735 said:
Seems like 3 great options and going to be making my decision today. I could be wrong, but I think I've come to the conclusion that there isn't going to be THAT much of a difference in size between the 3 stones. I hadn't really considered whether the diamonds were AGS or GIA certified in the past, I just assumed they were both pretty much on par with each other. Should I be holding one to a different standard than the other? I would think the JA gemologist would recommend the best stone, regardless of lab.

Since their review didn't really point out any negative aspects of any of the stones, it's hard to eliminate any of them, but I'm leaning towards the recommendation of purchasing the 1.08. Anyone else see any pros/cons to these stones/can read through the lines better than I can on these inspection results?

Thanks for all your help.

Working with diamonds everyday, we often see a difference between GIA and AGS certifications. Typically on the AGS certifications, we've found that the color can be a few degrees off.

In my opinion, I'd take the lower clarity (still eye clean) and go with the 1.19 because of it's GIA Certification and the spread is great. You're getting an additional .30MM across the top. In my jeweler's experience, women want the largest, eye clean diamond they can get and so that's what I would choose. If you prefer the 1.08 then go with it- it's not a bad diamond at all. You're just paying in my opinion for a higher clarity grade that isn't tangible whereas the spread of the diamond is tangibly larger in the larger stone.

That's a good point and the 1.19 carat was the diamond I really wanted, but it was snatched off the market a few weeks ago and now it's back. Do you think I sacrifice a lot of optimal light performance by going with 1.19 over the 1.08? That would be my only concern. And the increase in price, but 1.19 is still in my budget.

Q

Queenie60

Shelby_Buchroeders|1474389926|4078864 said:
What do you a lot of "optimal light performance?" Cut is directly correlated with brilliance and this is a triple X. Believe me, it is going to be an absolute fireball. If the 1.19 is in your budget, I'd select it without question.

As a trade member, you are not supposed to be commenting on specific diamonds. You are only allowed to give general advise. :wavey:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough choice! I liked the F 1.19 the most from all the videos...but the gemologist supposedly had all of them in front of him/her and chose the 1.08. They didn't say it outperforms the other two by a mile so I would probably still go with the largest. Just my opinion!

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Personally I would go with what the expert whose opinion you waited for recommended. He/She was quite clear which stone they considered the best performer and they have actually seen it whereas no one else here has. Why wait for the opinion and then reject it anyway based on a tiny size difference, that's my two cents worth. I find it bizarre this size over quality mind set especially when the difference is marginal.

cdreb09

Rough_Rock
chamomiletea|1474408756|4078998 said:
Personally I would go with what the expert whose opinion you waited for recommended. He/She was quite clear which stone they considered the best performer and they have actually seen it whereas no one else here has. Why wait for the opinion and then reject it anyway based on a tiny size difference, that's my two cents worth. I find it bizarre this size over quality mind set especially when the difference is marginal.

That's been my biggest hesitation. Is there really THAT much of a difference in appearance between 1.19 carat and 1.08 carat? It's hard for me to judge, because I've never seen these diamonds in person, but side by side, would the extra .11 carats be THAT apparerent? Because if they looked pretty similar in size, when placed side by side, then it seems like the 1.08 might be the best bet. I would think that if there was a huge difference in the appearance(size wise) the gemologist would have called it out in the review, right?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cdreb09|1474411928|4079013 said:
chamomiletea|1474408756|4078998 said:

That's been my biggest hesitation. Is there really THAT much of a difference in appearance between 1.19 carat and 1.08 carat? It's hard for me to judge, because I've never seen these diamonds in person, but side by side, would the extra .11 carats be THAT apparerent? Because if they looked pretty similar in size, when placed side by side, then it seems like the 1.08 might be the best bet. I would think that if there was a huge difference in the appearance(size wise) the gemologist would have called it out in the review, right?

I posted a visual of the 1.11 next to the 1.19 a few posts ago. The 1.08 faces up pretty much the same as the 1.11. *Most* people see a difference of .2mm+ which is just about the difference we're talking about here. But unless the stones are right next to each other, no, you might not perceive the difference. You're the only one who could decide what's worth the extra money (the 1.19 has better color and bigger size), and yes that's the one I would choose for those reasons if completely eye clean, but that's not the case for everyone! Since the 1.19 was already pushing your budget, go for the 1.08. It's definitely an excellent choice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results