shape
carat
color
clarity

making a ring/stone waivers?

gongli

Rough_Rock
hi everyone

so im trying to put together a ring, and i'm going to have a <$2k sapphire very soon.. i've contacted 2 of my favorite jewelry makers, probably among the most frequently mentioned here, and neither will accept responsibility (damages, chipping, loss etc) for the stone while they've got it.. i'm quite sure they won't damage it, but sometimes accidents happen. i thought generally one should use jewelers who will accept responsibility for the stone, and i also thought that most jewelers who keep the work in-house do accept responsibility. is this true? what do you all do for your e-rings? any recommendations for jewelry makers who do cover the stone?

thanks for any help!
-neal

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't know. I had someone I wanted to work with and she wouldn't work with outside stones because she didn't want the responsibility. Her choice. I told her I would take responsibility. She wouldn't accept that--been burned too many times. I didn't work with her.

I don't know of any jewelers who take the responsibility for the stone. There is a PS vendor who won't touch a stone unless it's insured. It's more expensive to insure many of my stones than it was to originally purchase the stones!

And honestly, who can blame them? There is a distinct possibility that stones will chip during setting. I wouldn't take that risk either. And honestly, most of my stones (and others here) are irreplaceable. Diamonds are easy to replace. Colored stones are not.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few jewellers will accept the risk but most will not. Some will not accept "outside" stones at all. If you need insurance for your stone for the setting process, some jewellers will offer this on a stone by stone basis through Jeweler's Mutual.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I don't know of any who will take responsibility.

In the UK you can have loose stones insured by T H Marsh.

hannaht

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies -

I had a spinel set by Michael E a couple of months ago and he had no problem whatsoever setting my stone.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Try Art of Platinum/LM. It is my understanding that their insurance fully covers outside stones and they are the only vendor I've worked with that has this policy. They've set two garnets for me and are currently setting a 2 ct diamond. I've sourced all of the center stones myself and Leon has told me that I do not need to worry about insuring the stones while they are in his shop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results