Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RoyEP3

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I am very close to purchasing a diamond, and I need help from the experts, because it seems every time I nave it narrowed down, I learn (thankfully) from others that I am going down the wrong path.

Here is my criteria and what I have narrowed it down to:
1. $21,000-$30,000
2. 2.1ct+ (would really like 2.2+, but will settle)
3. G+
4. VS1+
5. Fluorescence (see below)

I want it to have an excellent HCA score. Fluorescence is something that I am hesitant about, although a lot of people in my first thread have pulled up strong fluorescent diamonds to their liking. I'm not really concerned about any unrealistic UV lighting conditions, but I do not want it to turn blue in daylight like this one (
) Still, I'm open to strong fluorescence if everything else makes up for it.

1. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09522762
$28.4k, 2.13ct, F-VVS2, Medium Fluor., 0.9 HCA

1 GIA.png
1 HCA.png

2. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09478162
$25.3k, 2.20ct, F-VS1, Strong, 1.0 HCA

2 GIA.png
2 HCA.png

3. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09335570
$28.7k, 2.11ct, F-VVS2, Strong, 1.7 HCA

3 HCA.png
3 GIA.png

4. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09463250
$28.7k, 2.38ct, F-VS1, Strong, 1.4 HCA

4 GIA.png
4 HCA.png

5. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3461627
$21.9k, 2.24ct, G-VS1, Strong, 1.0 HCA

5 GIA.png
5 HCA.png

(continued)

RoyEP3

Rough_Rock
I am aware that some of these sites are not the preferred sites for some others on here. And as always, I am open to your suggestions of any comparable options, but please share your opinions on my choices as well. Thank you!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m torn between #4 & #5.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a note, all of these seem to have the stair-step cutting under the table to a greater or lesser effect, so they will need IS or ASET.

#1. Love the small table, but not a fan of CA of 36. Medium Flour. 8.2 mm
#2. Great chubby arrows. CA pairing not perfect. This needs an IS or ASET. 8.34 mm
#3. Great numbers. With strong, could be a bit blue under strong daylight. I can't get all the arrows to line up which may be a photo effect or poor cutting. Needs an IS or ASET. 8.14 mm
#4. Solid numbers. Again, may be a bit blue under strong daylight. I can't get all the arrows to line up which may be a photo effect or poor cutting. Needs an IS or ASET. 8.46 mm.
#5. Solid number. I really like this one. Lots of light movement and fire. Needs an IS or ASET. 8.33 mm.
#6. Crown pavilion pairing is not perfect and the diamond has a bit of a flat top. No flour.8.47 mm.
#7. Good numbers. Need a video, IS and ASET. No flour. 8.24 mm.

With your thoughts on florescence, I'd stay away from strong and very strong. That would narrow your choices to 1 , 6 and 7. Of these, I'd pursue #1 & 7. If you can get comfortable with some blue in bright sunlight (or dance clubs), 2 and 5 would be worth getting images on. None of these are "safe" enough number that I would buy them without an IS or ASET. So, availability of those may inevitably narrow your options.

#8. This is another option that would be worth pursuing with JA.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2082866 {8.26 mm}

I like this one from WF also.
#9. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3897559.htm (8.08 mm) Its is a bit smaller than the choices above, but it is a gorgeous stone with awesome light return. There is nothing that worries me about the clarity here. This is a bit bigger than @KKJohnson suggestion, but I like the light return a bit better.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
looked back at those 2, again. I believe #5 is my choice...as long as you find comfort with strong blue fluorescence, of course. That all boils down to preference.
The 1.0 HCA score makes it a high contender. Color is crisp, and that is one flawless stone for a VS1. She faces up so white, and shows so little tint from the side, in the video. This is one of the most beautiful GVS1 JA diamonds I have seen on PS. Her size will show any inclusion, and any haziness, and this stone is damn near perfect to MY eyes. I get lost in her center, when I pause it, face-on. I love the facet pattern, and the proportion of the arrows. I’m not a MRB cut fan by any means, but this beauty could change my mind.
This is truly a brilliant find. The fact that it scores Ex, Ex, Ex on Light Return, Fire & Scintillation, and VG on spread would win me over; I’m all about fire, with great sparkle.
I hope this is helpful, and I have elaborated enough for you to understand what I see in this diamond that the others just don’t have....to ME.

Attachments

• F9939C0A-452D-4758-82BD-E72AB71AB565.png
    F9939C0A-452D-4758-82BD-E72AB71AB565.png
    538.3 KB · Views: 9

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a note, all of these seem to have the stair-step cutting under the table to a greater or lesser effect, so they will need IS or ASET.

#2. Great chubby arrows. CA pairing not perfect. This needs an IS or ASET. 8.34 mm
#3. Great numbers. With strong, could be a bit blue under strong daylight. I can't get all the arrows to line up which may be a photo effect or poor cutting. Needs an IS or ASET. 8.14 mm
#4. Solid numbers. Again, may be a bit blue under strong daylight. I can't get all the arrows to line up which may be a photo effect or poor cutting. Needs an IS or ASET. 8.46 mm.
#5. Solid number. I really like this one. Lots of light movement and fire. Needs an IS or ASET. 8.33 mm.
#6. Crown pavilion pairing is not perfect and the diamond has a bit of a flat top. No flour.8.47 mm.

With your thoughts on florescence, I'd stay away from strong and very strong. That would narrow your choices to 1 , 6 and 7. Of these, I'd pursue #1 & 7. If you can get comfortable with some blue in bright sunlight (or dance clubs), 2 and 5 would be worth getting images on. None of these are "safe" enough number that I would buy them without an IS or ASET. So, availability of those may inevitably narrow your options.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2082866 {8.26 mm}

#9. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3897559.htm (8.08 mm) Its is a bit smaller than the choices above, but it is a gorgeous stone with awesome light return. There is nothing that worries me about the clarity here. This is a bit bigger than @KKJohnson suggestion, but I like the light return a bit better.

Love this, @rockysalamander!!!
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3897559.htm

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I love reading your write ups! It's helps educate me over what to look for, I understand it's all subjective since people may like one thing over another but they are always so informative

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m still Team #5, until you obtain ASETS & IS reports!!! I gotta know what it looks like, internally!!! :love:

RoyEP3

Rough_Rock
Wow, this really helps a ton!
Hey Rocky, I have some followups on your evaluation.
#1. You said "not a fan of CA 36", but the CA on this one was 35.0
#7. You said 8.24 mm, but it's 8.34 mm
Does that change your opinion on either of those?

I've considered the white flash options, and I understand more now why they are so sought after. As beautiful as the specs are on paper and in pictures, I think for me, the super ideal specs and hearts and arrows of these diamonds do not outweigh the bigger size, color, and clarity of an ideal (but less than super ideal) diamonds.

I'm glad I've settled on a pool of options where all that's left is to be perfectionists to narrow it down. Personally, I've never even seen in person anything that comes close to these specs. Yet when my girlfriend walks into a store, she points out the "sparkly" one she likes, only for me to pull out my phone, punch in the numbers, and think to myself how horrible it is based on this chart/table/unicorn.

So I'm sure settling on any one of these will make me, and more importantly her, very happy.

With that said, I've narrowed it down to these 4, in this order. I have requested IS and ASET images for them, and will update if I receive them. Right now, they are all equal IS and ASET until I receive actual images, so I will rank them in order not based on that.

#7. 2.25ct, G-VS1, No Fluorescence, 8.34mm, $26,690. My largest, no fluorescence option.

#4. 2.38ct, F-VS1, Strong Blue, 8.46mm, $28,269. My "want to be #1 because it's the largest", but fluorescence worries me option.

#5. 2.24ct, G-VS1, Strong, 8.38mm, $21,930. My beautiful, incredible, best bang for the buck option, but fluorescence still worries me, and I'd rather spend a little more to get the bigger fluorescent option above. Although the fluorescence might help with the lower G color.

#1. 2.13ct, F-VVS2, Medium, 8.24mm, $28,370. My all around, big enough, safe enough, medium fluorescence, covers all the bases option.

I might end up just getting the first two, and utilize my 30 day return options. It'd really be helpful if I could just find some trustworthy strong fluorescence examples I can look at for my own eyes, but no one I know in town carries them.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out hpdiamonds.com you could go to a J (will still appear white) and SI2. These are super ideal crafted by infinity brand, so you can ask wink for a pic and video and they have a try before you buy program.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've considered the white flash options, and I understand more now why they are so sought after. As beautiful as the specs are on paper and in pictures, I think for me, the super ideal specs and hearts and arrows of these diamonds do not outweigh the bigger size, color, and clarity of an ideal (but less than super ideal) diamonds.

I'm glad I've settled on a pool of options where all that's left is to be perfectionists to narrow it down. Personally, I've never even seen in person anything that comes close to these specs. Yet when my girlfriend walks into a store, she points out the "sparkly" one she likes, only for me to pull out my phone, punch in the numbers, and think to myself how horrible it is based on this chart/table/unicorn.

So I'm sure settling on any one of these will make me, and more importantly her, very happy.

With that said, I've narrowed it down to these 4, in this order. I have requested IS and ASET images for them, and will update if I receive them. Right now, they are all equal IS and ASET until I receive actual images, so I will rank them in order not based on that.

#7. 2.25ct, G-VS1, No Fluorescence, 8.34mm, $26,690. My largest, no fluorescence option.

#4. 2.38ct, F-VS1, Strong Blue, 8.46mm, $28,269. My "want to be #1 because it's the largest", but fluorescence worries me option.

#5. 2.24ct, G-VS1, Strong, 8.38mm, $21,930. My beautiful, incredible, best bang for the buck option, but fluorescence still worries me, and I'd rather spend a little more to get the bigger fluorescent option above. Although the fluorescence might help with the lower G color.

#1. 2.13ct, F-VVS2, Medium, 8.24mm, $28,370. My all around, big enough, safe enough, medium fluorescence, covers all the bases option.

I might end up just getting the first two, and utilize my 30 day return options. It'd really be helpful if I could just find some trustworthy strong fluorescence examples I can look at for my own eyes, but no one I know in town carries them.

Have you seen a super ideal in person? They sparkle edge to edge so they appear larger and whiter than regular diamonds.

I have a little .56 and it feels like a good .70 on my hand.

Plus, always check mm measurements for spread.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you seen a super ideal in person? They sparkle edge to edge so they appear larger and whiter than regular diamonds.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry!!! On my end, it wasn't posting!!:eek-2:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I really like #5 but the GIA report for inclusions on #4 is nicer; I am sensitive to feather inclusions which I was unaware of until I started wearing a diamond that has one. Good call on just going with the larger of the two (4/5). Rooting for 7 being a nice stone!

RoyEP3

Rough_Rock
For anyone curious, this is the ideal scope image of #5. 3461627.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Under a big work-deadline, but briefly. #1 become a very strong contender with your correction of my misread. #7 just a typo.

IS. Typical of what we are seeing with the stair-step cutting under the table. @Karl_K or @gm89uk or @flyingpig or @tyty333 thoughts on this IS. It looks like more leakage is ideal, but would like thoughts.

RoyEP3

Rough_Rock
I wanted to share this update on #5, the "best bang for the buck" diamond. I ordered it to take a chance on its strong blue fluorescence. I have recorded a video of its fluorescence. This is taken in Las Vegas, in November, on a partly cloudy day, so UV rays are not at its fullest.

I just realized, you probably would have wanted to see its performance on fire and scintillation as well. Sorry I left that out. My thoughts on this was it was gorgeous, but a little too blue for my liking. Sigh, I wanted it to work. Happy I tried and James Allen has a generous return policy!

Last edited:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a very nice stone but if you cant live with the flou than on to the next! Was there an update for #4 and #7?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to share this update on #5, the "best bang for the buck" diamond. I ordered it to take a chance on its strong blue fluorescence. I have recorded a video of its fluorescence. This is taken in Las Vegas, in November, on a partly cloudy day, so UV rays are not at its fullest.

I just realized, you probably would have wanted to see its performance on fire and scintillation as well. Sorry I left that out. My thoughts on this was it was gorgeous, but a little too blue for my liking. Sigh, I wanted it to work. Happy I tried and James Allen has a generous return policy!

It’s gorgeous. l am unable to see the blue in the video, but your eyes are what matter, here!!
Glad you can return it!! Please keep us posted! Let us know if you need any help!!! :mrgreen2:

Vander_25

Rough_Rock
Premium
I am new here and wrapping up an order with yeketiel at ID Jewelry in NY after member suggestions. Almost all of the loose diamonds I was looking at online (blue nile, james Allen) he was able to pull and inspect himself. He then sent me plenty of images on the diamond I am going with and a video. He picked a better stone than I had considered, it was a blue nile listing that had no video or images online which is probably why it wasn't taken. He also beat the pricing by a good margin and your diamond is going to be about 5x the cost of mine so that would add up quick. Just a suggestion as it worked well for me so far.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous. l am unable to see the blue in the video, but your eyes are what matter, here!!
Glad you can return it!! Please keep us posted! Let us know if you need any help!!! :mrgreen2:
I would want it way bluer...the more flour the better for me....

RoyEP3

Rough_Rock
#4 didn't have ASET or IS images. And #7 was already sold.

I did purchase the 2.34 G-VVS1, faint fluorescence, from another thread, and it will arrive in about 8 days. I have high anticipation for that one.

Tomorrow will be a sunny day, and I'll really be able to evaluate the fluorescence and performance of the diamond I'll share pictures and videos here.

Thanks for the suggestion Vander.

RoyEP3

Rough_Rock
Here is the same diamond again from yesterday. It really is a gorgeous diamond. I've visited so many brick and mortar stores with beautiful diamonds, but I simply rejected them based on their HCA scores. This is really my first time seeing something with an excellent score in person. And I'm blown away! I can't wait to see one on her finger!

Edit: There was an annoying dog barking in the background, so enjoy some Beethoven courtesy of YouTube lol.

I still wish it were slightly less blue. I may keep it, because I know the fluorescence does help the G color a little bit. In the meantime, I'm waiting on a 2.34ct G-VVS1, faint fluorescence to arrive, and I will choose between the two.

Vander_25

Rough_Rock
Premium
Are you rejecting stones with a score >2 or <2? The HCA score is a rejection tool not a selection tool. A stone >2 is recommended to be rejected but if you can see the diamond in person and it performs very well the HCA doesn't matter. A 0.6 vs a 1.5 wouldn't matter because they are both below 2 and it isn't a selection tool. I assume you know this but just in case. That diamond looks fantastic, if you are like me you are probably obsessing over every little detail to find the best stone possible. At the end of the day, I'm sure your gf would be ecstatic with all of the choices you have. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results