shape
carat
color
clarity

Makeup?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Since we''re on recommendations, just wondering what brand of makeup you use. I have two or three different brands in my bag and I want to throw them all out and start fresh.

Here''s the kicker -- I have sensitive skin so almost everything seems to clog it up. I also don''t buy really expensive stuff. Right now Almay seems to agree pretty well with my skin, although I wouldn''t be opposed to spending a little more $$ for good stuff.

I have pretty fair skin, lots of freckles (that I don''t try to hide - DH thinks they''re cute), brown hair and eyes. Geez - I sound like a mess!
19.gif

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My skin is sensitive too and I tend to use a mix of Clinique and Revlon. Both these brands are fine on my skin and reasonably priced. I always use Definicils mascara by Lancome - I have never found one to beat it! It is a bit more expensive than other brands but it lasts for ages and is so easy to apply. You end up with lovely long separated lashes and it never smears or clumps. Clinique and Revlon also have a good range of colours too. Hope you have fun at the makeup counters!
9.gif
What pretty colouring you have, I love freckles!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
My sister has sensitive skin and eczema and wears makeup daily. She''s had good luck with Almay and her dermatologist suggested Clinique. I really like Almay''s makeup remover pads too.

I don''t wear makeup on a daily basis, but I had a Clinique makeover for the wedding - I bought concealer, foundation, blush, lipstick and lipgloss. Plus, once you know what colors you wear, you can get the products on Ebay (tip from a bridesmaid!).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im not really brand loyal.

Foundation: I use powder kinds. I have Jane Iredale pressed mineral foundation as well as Mac Studio Fix and the Sephora one. All three work fine for me.

Concealer: I use either Mary Kay Concealer or Becca Compact Concealer. Neither irritates me and Im the most sensitive person on the planet. Im allergic to almost everything.

I wear Maybelline''s Expert Eyes little red brow pencil. I wear either Maybellline Lash Discovery Waterproof Masc or Lancome Hypnose Waterproof Masc. I usually wear Cargo eyeshadow if I wear it. I wear StyliStyle Flat Waterproof Eyeliner if I wear it at all.

I am allergic to almost ALL lip products. The only ones I can wear are Lorac Sheer Wash or Stila''s lip stain pen. I put a little LUSH lip balm (whipstick) over it usually for shine.

I wash with marykay deep cleanser 3 and use the microdermabrasion scrubby stuff every other day, followed by either avon 24 hour moisture or marykay balancing moisturizer. I don''t use the step 2 part of the microderm kit, gives me zits. After that I use Differin and Cleocin lotion.

If I don''t vary my routine my face is fine.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hehehehe. I am almost ashamed to say that I just use Almay Sports Formula Moisture Tint with SPF5. How classy. But I like it. It is weightless, covers a bit but doesn't look like makeup. I've been wearing it for years. I did the clinique city stick for a while but came back to this....I SHOULD wear more makeup but I just can't be bothered...and that's why I look like a bag lady LOL

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I''m also not brand loyal. My skin is so fussy so I am constantly looking for something new. I drives me crazy trying to find the right shade of makeup. I''m in between pale and not so pale..hard to explain. If I go with light, my face looks like a ghost. If I go one shade up I look too dark. I''ve been having to blend the two together to get somewhat near to the right shade..but by the end of the day I get that "orange" cast..ugh, I hate that.

The best stuff I''ve found thus far is Bare Minerals. I really loved the weightless feeling that I had when I wore it and my skin could actually breathe. It took me a few weeks to really get used to it because it did feel so light. I was constantly looking in the mirror to see if I still had any on and I was totally amazed at how long it lasted. Very few touch-ups if any. (Geez, I sound like a paid actor..where''s my royalty check???)

But when I am not wearing that I keep Clinique, Mayballine (not really my all time fave.), and whatever else I can get my hands on. I really need to re-order some Bare Minerals. I miss that mineral veil.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I never wore much make-up (Mom didn''t allow much so by the time I could buy my own I didn''t bother) until I was late 30''s then I really felt like I needed it!! Like others I am not brand loyal--but cannot wear any brand of all day lipstick and Lancome used to be the worst for me. I use sheer or moisturizing ones with color. Mac always has lovely shades and I think I have 4 tubes of theirs alone in my purse . And I am a gloss fan as well, but some are way to tacky--either the Clinique or EL I cannot recall. Again Mac is a winner here for me and CD as well.

I am a sucker for those gift with purchase thingies, so I buy products so get the gift. Hence at present, I have Lancome pressed powder, several eyeshadows and a few juicy tubes, tinted moisturizer from Clinique, CD mascara, blush and face cremes, L''Oreal Color Match foundation, and a handful of Avon products. GWP''s are a great way to test products and kinda fun to get!

cheers--Sharon

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
I have used Merle Norman Luxiva line of makeup since I was in my teens. It''s a light, powder based makeup that can be put on with a dry or wet sponge. Wetting the sponge makes the coverage a little heavier, but not to the point of not being able to breath! I have freckles too and this does not cover them up, but rather tames them down, if you know what I mean!
2.gif
It comes in 20+ different shades, so finding the right color is not hard. Good luck with your search.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love makeup! I usually wear clinique or estee lauder. For cheaper brands, I do revlon and loreal, although I use Maybeline mascara (the pink and green tube) and almay eyeshadow. I cannot live without lipstick/gloss. Cannot. So I have a ton of different brands in a multitude of different shades.
9.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im allergic to Bare Minerals. I sometimes try to use it just around my eyes but end up with a big ole rash. I found out that it was the MICA in it. When I switched to a different mineral product the rashes stopped.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Ame, a lot of people are allergic to Bare Minerals- it''s the Bismuth Oxide.
The Bismuth is also what makes it kind of glowy/shiny, which I do not like.
I love Aromaleigh- it''s a Mineral Makeup without Bismuth, and they offer something like 40 different shades.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2005 12:18:33 PM
Author: IrishEyes
I love love love makeup!
Me too. . .I love makeup and all beauty products and my obsession is such that one brand cannot satisfy my addiction
9.gif

I use MAC, Clinique, Lancome, and Estee Lauder makeup and probably a few others too. . .I don''t wear foundation, though, just concealer, eyeliner, shadow, mascara and blush. Usually I wear lip gloss because it''s more flattering to my lips.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like I have a litttle bit of everything in my make up bag(S), but my main, every day make up is a concealer by cover blend by Exuvience (for a small spot of vitiligo I like to cover up), mac studio fix powder, mac blush and maybelline lash discovery mascara. When I wear foundation - RARE I use either clinique or the exuvience brand, and a whole assortment of eye shadows and lip colors. I don''t really buy that much make up, but what I do buy I am loyal to, and I am really good about only buying colors I know I''ll use. I wish I could sometimes just pick up a $10 bottle of something instead of the $20-30 ones, but I''ve found it so difficult to match my skin color to things like concealers and foundations that I always go through the department store brands or sephora.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock

I use a combination of Bare Minerals and MAC Studio Fix. But I am far from a makeup expert since I didn''t start wearing it until late in college.

2.gif

My problem is that I get very oily very quickly. And at the end of the day, after what seems like a zillion touch ups, the makeup on my cheeks is just yucky. Plus I have big pores on my cheeks, which is at least part of this problem. Argh.... Though I have found that the new Purpose Redness Reducing Lotion makes my face much less oily (not sure about less red though lol), which might make my makeup look a bit better at the end of the day (may be just my imagination and hope!).

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I like Cliniue tinted moisturizer with SPF 15 when my skin is feeling dry and Bare Minerals when it isnt. I wear these two brands becasue they are unscented and those dont cause allergic reactions. I can however use less expesive mascara and I love Mabeyline (sp) Unstoppable. It is like a better version of Perscriptives False Eyelashes but for less then half the cost. I also love to use pale or neuatral lip liners and then layer chapstick over them. It looks like lipstick but lasts the whole day and you get to wear chapstick!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2005 4:58:05 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

Date: 7/29/2005 12:18:33 PM
Author: IrishEyes
I love love love makeup!
Me too. . .I love makeup and all beauty products and my obsession is such that one brand cannot satisfy my addiction
9.gif

I use MAC, Clinique, Lancome, and Estee Lauder makeup and probably a few others too. . .I don''t wear foundation, though, just concealer, eyeliner, shadow, mascara and blush. Usually I wear lip gloss because it''s more flattering to my lips.

Gosh, Michelle, we could be twins.

I love makeup and have tried every brand out there. Like you, I don''t wear foundation, but I do use pressed powder, concealer, eyeliner, shadow, mascara and blush! I wear lipliner with lip gloss just so it doesn''t run.

I think it is the one thing that I buy more frequently than anything else. Even if I just bought something a few days ago, if I find something new, I will give it a try. Half of the time, I don''t use all the colors I buy!
My husband complains because everytime we pass the makeup department, I stop and wind up buying a new lipstick or lipgloss.
Ahh, what can I say?

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I also love to use pale or neuatral lip liners and then layer chapstick over them. It looks like lipstick but lasts the whole day and you get to wear chapstick!

Me too! I love Wet and Wild 666 lipliner and Cherry Chapstick.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I am a make-up junkie too-I worked for Lancome in grad school and loved it.
18.gif

face pressed powder: Maybelline Shine free (I don''t wear base ussually either so i go through pressed pwder quickly, hence the more affordable brand)
Lip gloss: Lancome Juicy Tubes and Chanel Glossimers-SO worth it
Lipstick: Estee Lauder
Lipliner: Lancome or H&M brand in a neutral tone
Mascara: I love Prescriptives
Blush: Estee Lauder
Eyeshadow: I buy 2 brands in pots for about $8-9 each from my local beauty supply store: mystique and sorme...they are velvety and have so many fun colors...my trick to wearing color eyeshadow (which I LOVE) is to line the eyes with deep brown and shade the lower lid with a brown or neutral shadow and them layer the colored shadow from the middle of the lid to the crease for a subtle effect...You can''t just slap on baby blue eyeshadow!
Concealer: when i need it, good old Maybelline stick concealer is great

I love make-up and think it is so fun.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2005 3:05:54 AM
Author: Butterfly17

My husband complains because everytime we pass the makeup department, I stop and wind up buying a new lipstick or lipgloss.
Ahh, what can I say?
My husband doesn''t complain he just tenses up as we walk by the cosmetic section. It''s funny to watch his expression because he never says anything negative as he knows it won''t do any good, so he grins and bares it with his entire jaw line all tightened up. hahaha

(oh and i buy tons more colors than I can use, but I do use each every now and then. you never know when you''ll NEED to be seen in green sparkle eyeshadow, so it''s good to stock up on fun colors - lol!!!)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2005 10:20:11 AM
Author: Jennifer5973
Eyeshadow: I buy 2 brands in pots for about $8-9 each from my local beauty supply store: mystique and sorme...they are velvety and have so many fun colors...my trick to wearing color eyeshadow (which I LOVE) is to line the eyes with deep brown and shade the lower lid with a brown or neutral shadow and them layer the colored shadow from the middle of the lid to the crease for a subtle effect...You can't just slap on baby blue eyeshadow!
Concealer: when i need it, good old Maybelline stick concealer is great

I love make-up and think it is so fun.
This is what I do too. I wear MAC brule powder across my entire lid, which is a soft vanilla beigy type color and then depending upon my mood, I'll wear which ever color sounds good in the crease area - sometimes subtle brown or sometimes bold aubergine.

I've had terrible luck with beauty consultants picking out colors that don't look good on me, and this going to sound weird, but after looking at my cat one day, who looks extra pretty with green eyes and silver fur, I thought, hmmm, possibly i should try silver shadow with my green eyes, and low and behold, this color (MAC Vex) really looks great, lol, so I've been wearing this color a few times a weekon my lower lid for a number of years now
9.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
i use givenchy face powder and am very happy with it..i also like Sephora''s products, stilla and NARS..they have some really nice color ranges!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I understand your dilemma. I piddle around with makeup because almost everything out there has sunscreen in it.. and I am alregic to sunscreen. My skin breaks out and I get all itchy. I cannot wear any of the exspensive kinds and I am always so skeptical about the cheap kinds as well.. so ..basically.. I have NO advice but I wish you alll the luck and hope you find something!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Jellybean, I was just remembering...if you buy something at Nordstrom, you can return it any time, even if you''ve used it, as long as you have the original box with the little sticker they put on it. So if you do want to try some brands, and if they carry them at your local nordstrom, ask them what they''d recommend, and then you try it. If it makes your skin break out, you return it and just say it irritated your skin. I''ve only taken advantage of that policy once, but I had no hassles. I am not sure at the policies at other stores.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Macy's also takes back everything if you still have box & sticker!
2.gif

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/31/2005 12:02:57 PM
Author: Blue824
Jellybean, I was just remembering...if you buy something at Nordstrom, you can return it any time, even if you''ve used it, as long as you have the original box with the little sticker they put on it. So if you do want to try some brands, and if they carry them at your local nordstrom, ask them what they''d recommend, and then you try it. If it makes your skin break out, you return it and just say it irritated your skin. I''ve only taken advantage of that policy once, but I had no hassles. I am not sure at the policies at other stores.
Unfortunately, the closest Nordstom is like 45 minutes away so I don''t get to go there very often.

I was expecting everyone to say they buy all their products under one particular brand, but that obviously isn''t the case.

Thanks again for the responses.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/30/2005 10:20:11 AM
Author: Jennifer5973
...my trick to wearing color eyeshadow (which I LOVE) is to line the eyes with deep brown and shade the lower lid with a brown or neutral shadow and them layer the colored shadow from the middle of the lid to the crease for a subtle effect...You can''t just slap on baby blue eyeshadow!

Ah, my favorite eyeshadow trick! I''ll also use a tiny bit of colored eye shadow as under-eye liner - just the outside half. It makes your eyes pop and you look more awake. Eye makeup is my absolute favorite! I did slap on baby blue eyeshadow once.... for an 80''s party! And wings for a Halloween costume.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is going to sound cheesy, but I hardly wear any makeup at all. I used to wear tons of it, concealer, foundation, powder, blush, lip liner, lipstick, yada yada yada. My skin was a mess! I needed that makeup to cover up all the damage I was doing to my skin. My dear late MIL finally had the guts one day to tell me that I wore too much makeup, so I went cold turkey...LOL! Now all I wear is a little CoverGirl trueblend powder and some Covergirl powder blush in Soft Mink if I go out. Oh, and Dr. Pepper LipSmacker by Bonne Belle...lol! I can't be without my LipSmacker! Sometimes I switch off to rootbeer or strawberry, but my favorite is Dr. P.

I have to say that my skin is better now at 42 than at any other time in my life. I wash my face with Dial soap every morning and every night, wear sunscreen when I'm in the sun, and pretty much don't worry about anything else. I look about 10 years younger than my little sister, who still goops on the makeup every day. I never have been able to wear eye makeup because I wear gas perm contacts, and it totally messes up my eyes.

I'm very fair skinned and have blue eyes and freckles with reddish brown hair...typical irish complexion! I have a tub of Oil of Olay in my bathroom, just in case I ever see a wrinkle, but so far I haven't had to open the jar! I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best. My husband has already given me a future budget for cosmetic surgery, but I'm hoping to use it for liposuction if I ever get too fat, and not a face lift!
5.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
I too am a product junkie, whether it be hair, skin or makeup. If I could marry Sephora.com I would!

Ive tried pretty much everything not only because I like to play but because I have horrible, oily skin with pigment problems from old scars. My skin prep starts with weekly self-facials (steam, mask, scrub, peel, etc) to maintain the somewhat improved results of some peels/microderms my doc gave me), WellSkin or Mary Kay cleansers/moisturizers, and Retin A and benzoyl peroxide every other day. I also dislike most of my facial features so I need to do all I can to look actually half decent (lol) But here''s what I have tried and liked over the years, may not use all of them now but most of them:

Foundation/concealer: Mary Kay med coverage foundation and their signature concealer. I truly dislike foundation but I cant leave the house without it. I like how the foundation comes in a tube, is easy to apply and gives great coverage but isnt too heavy on my face. The concealer is also good, stays put and covers well. I recently ran out and my rep was MIA so I had to buy a liquid foundation and a stick concealer and I had to apply 3 layers of each to get the same type of coverage I am used to with the MK, and it made my face feel soo oily. One thing I do sometimes is use the (still liquidy) foundation that gets stuck in the cap or around the neck of the tube as a concealer. Since its been exposed to air its kind of thicker so it works great as a concealer!

Powder: I am always on the quest for a good mattifying powder! My favorite is Silk Screen by Origins. Its does a good job mattifying my skin and really has a silk like finish on your face! I am trying out Smashbox photo matte powder right now so we will see how it compares.

Eyeliner: This my "stranded on a deserted island" must have. Since my skin is oily most eyeliners run on me, but I have found Mary Kay Signature liners work well, are easy to apply and really do stay put even in warm weather. I also prefer them because they are the swivel up kind and not a pencil which seems to be harder for me to apply.

Eyeshadow: No favorites. I am still using up my stock of mary kay from when i used to be a rep 2 years ago! its pretty good though. I also have this one shadow set called the little black book by philosophy, and really like how silky the shadows are.

Mascara: I always come back to Voluminous by Loreal! My lashes are thin so I like the oomph I get from this.

Eyebrow pencil: mary kay and MAC

Lips: I hate lipstick but if I do wear it I use MAC. Mostly I fill in my lips with MAC Spice liner and cover with a lip gloss or balm. Dislike MAC''s lip glass, tooo sticky. I usually use my Hello Kitty orange flavored lip balm (LOL)

Blush: I''ve loved the cheek sticks by Tarte for years. Easy to apply, very natural and sheer color and they smell great!

Nails: LOVE Essie products! And do they still make Revivanail? The best nail product ever but havent seen it in years.

For tools: I recommend Shu Uemura eyelash curler and Bifacils eye makeup remover by lancome.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Jellybean,

I have sensitive skin too. I have always been able to rely on Clinique for makeup and Neutrogena for face wash and cleanser. I used Acutane in college and my dermatologist recommended a moisturizer called "Moisturel". I too, like Mine, am very sensitive to sunscreen so I typically avoid products that contain SPF with paba oil.

Here is what I use:

Concealer: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Stick
- I love this stuff. It is only $5 and it covers up anything from dark circles to blemishes and you can''t see it. It also is oil free and has skin clearing agents in it. I highly recommend trying it.

Foundation: Clinique Super Fit
-I love this because it is light and covers very well.

Powder: Clinique Loose Powder, Transparency III
-I have been using this since I was 15. I am addicted. The secret is I don''t use a brush. I use a sponge. It helps blend and set the foundation. Wonderful.

Blush: Clinique
-I change blush colors often. I think right now I am using mocha pink, but several of their options are great: plum fabulous, chestnut, totally tawny

Eye Primer: Mary Kay
-I can''t tell you enough about how much I like this stuff. It seals your eye shadow so you get no creases. It is oil free and color free so your aren''t set to a color scheme like you are with eye base.

Eye Shadow: This is the one product I can use from any company, so I just buy the colors I like. I think the best quality shadows are MAC, Bobby Brown and Lancome, but I usually buy Clinique because I get so many other things there.
1.gif

Mascara: Clinique- I switch the type out a lot, but always get black.

Eye Liner: Clinique Quick Liner or Revlon Lasting

Eye Makeup Remover: Mary Kay
-I swear this stuff could gently remove paint. It is great!

Face Wash: Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash or Dove Soap or Cetaphil
-I don''t have acne anymore, but I don''t see why I should stop preventing it...

Moisturizer: Moisturel or Dove for Sensitive Skin when I can''t find the first.
-everyone I have recommended Moisturel to has switched. It takes about a week to get used to, but it moisturizes all day.

If I am going to use sunscreen I use Neutrogena. It is the ONLY one that doesn''t freak my skin out.

Good luck on your new look!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results