shape
carat
color
clarity

Makeup: Airbrush vs Traditional?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering what the difference is between airbrush & traditional. I know WHAT each are (airbrush is shot out of an air compressed "gun", traditional is the stuff you buy in stores), but what is the difference in wearing it, the benefits of one over the other etc.

Some questions to start with:

Is it waterproof? Sweatproof?
What do they airbrush, just foundation, or everything (blush, eye color etc)?
Does it rub off?
How do you take it off? A special remover?

Thanks!

Any pics you ladies are willing to share would be appreciated.

Last question that isn''t about airbrushing: You ladies that are planning long distance: are you looking for a makeup artist in your home city and flying them to your destination or just looking in your destination?

~Lisa

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Oh, great questions. I can''t unfortunately answer any of them as my wedding is still a while away, but I''m also wondering the same things as you are.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2009 7:32:55 PM
Author:lliang_chi
Last question that isn't about airbrushing: You ladies that are planning long distance: are you looking for a makeup artist in your home city and flying them to your destination or just looking in your destination?

~Lisa
Hey Lisa,

I don't know the answers to your other questions, but I did want to chime and share that I am just hiring someone in the destination city to do my hair and make-up. I did toy around with the idea of having my hair stylist come down for my hair, but quickly realized that would cost me an arm and a leg. I've now hired an amazing MU/HA who will come to my hotel and do my hair and MU.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering what the difference is between airbrush & traditional. I know WHAT each are (airbrush is shot out of an air compressed 'gun', traditional is the stuff you buy in stores), but what is the difference in wearing it, the benefits of one over the other etc.

Does it rub off?

Thanks!

Last question that isn't about airbrushing: You ladies that are planning long distance: are you looking for a makeup artist in your home city and flying them to your destination or just looking in your destination?

~Lisa

I used airbrush for my wedding. It's just liquid foundation applied with an airbrush machine. It seems to last a lot longer though and it withstood the whole day/night and still looked great.

In re: to the rest of the makeup - They just airbrush the foundation. Everything else is applied as usual. They use less foundation then if you were to apply it normally. It comes off with soap and water like normal foundation and yes it rubs off like normal makeup does.

I really loved the look of it!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Hi lliang_chi,

I was a bridesmaid a few years ago and the bride hired a MUA who used an airbrush. My memory is not perfect, but I know she airbrushed the foundation and I *think* she used the airbrush for blush as well. Eye makeup was applied normally (powder).

The look was perfect! Everyone complimented us on our makeup. It seemed sweatproof for me, and I was nervous, so I was sweating a bit and I had no issues with it rubbing off. It was definitely long lasting.

I did find it to be incredibly uncomfortable. My skin felt itchy and taut. Perhaps the type of foundation the MUA used was not suitable for my dry skin or maybe it was a side effect of the airbrushing process - I really don''t know. Nevertheless, as soon as the guests left I HAD to immediately run to the bathroom and take it off.

I''d suggest you try it out before the big day. Make sure the foundation used is targeted for your skin type. Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 7:46:54 PM
Author: violet02

This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering what the difference is between airbrush & traditional. I know WHAT each are (airbrush is shot out of an air compressed ''gun'', traditional is the stuff you buy in stores), but what is the difference in wearing it, the benefits of one over the other etc.

Does it rub off?

Thanks!

Last question that isn''t about airbrushing: You ladies that are planning long distance: are you looking for a makeup artist in your home city and flying them to your destination or just looking in your destination?

~Lisa

I used airbrush for my wedding. It''s just liquid foundation applied with an airbrush machine. It seems to last a lot longer though and it withstood the whole day/night and still looked great.

In re: to the rest of the makeup - They just airbrush the foundation. Everything else is applied as usual. They use less foundation then if you were to apply it normally. It comes off with soap and water like normal foundation and yes it rubs off like normal makeup does.

I really loved the look of it!
Ditto Violet. It really REALLY smoothed out my complexion.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I love airbrushed foundation! I did two makeup trials to see which one I liked best and I took a ton of pics each time. The airbrush was significantly more even and photographed a whole lot better.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
My bridesmaids had airbrush makeup as well and they also looked fabulous throughout the whole night!

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
When I was looking for my MUA, I asked that exact same question. She didn''t think one method was superior, though she may be biased as she does not use airbrushing. I decided to go with her and she uses a mineral based make up that only professionals use. She assured me that it was sweatproof and would hold up well in heat and humidity. The reviews I read about her makeup were very complimentary so I''m gonna take a leap and hire her.

I''ve had airbrush make up done before. I thought it was fine. It photographed nicely but I''m not sure if it was because the photos were touched up! I have heard that if you have the slightest peach fuzz on your face that airbrushing isn''t the best.

I looked for a MUA in Maui. Flying one out would have been too prohibitive.

If you''re interested in airbrushing, I second giving it a try locally to see if you like how it looks and wears.

Good luck!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Lisa,

I had a my make-up trial with airbrush, and that was my first airbrush experience. The make up didn''t really feel heavy, although as someone who doesn''t normally wear make-up, I did notice it was there. The airbrush is used for the foundation only, at least in my case.

It gave a very even look and I was happy with the result.

I know you are also getting married in Florida, so if you want the name of the person I am using, just let me know
35.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Panda...I wanted to talk to you for a minute about the mineral makeup. Did you photograph yourself after your trial? The only reason that I ask is that most people tend to look really shiny in pics when they are wearing mineral makeup. I wear mineral makeup on a daily basis, Laura Mercier. All the eye shadows I wear are made with talc. They also photograph with a bit of a shine just simply based on the mineral in the makeup. I also had the bobbi brown professional mineral makeup applied last year traditionally for a wedding and we all looked less than ideal about 2 hours after having it applied. I wanted you to know just in case you didn''t get a chance to photograph it. My maid of honor is a on camera reporter and she won''t go near mineral makeup for that reason.

I have a good friend who is a very tallented makeup artist and I briefly considered using her for my wedding. I did a trial with her and everything but in the end I didn''t go with her because she didn''t do airbrush makeup. Having both trials and photographing them both really made a difference to me as to what would be the best for me for the wedding. Most artists that do airbrush also do traditional makeup if the bride asks for it however the ones that don''t do airbrush I feel don''t because they haven''t really learned it yet. At least that is what I found with the about 15 makeup artists that I talked to in the NYC area.

Here is the other thing. I''ve been breaking out a lot in the past year! I really felt that the airbrush foundation really covered everything and was very light. I''m only posting this pic for demonstration purposes but this picture was taken about 4 hours or so after the makeup was applied.

Please keep in mind that I asked my mu artist to go to the extream in terms of glamour and drama so that I could tone it back from there.

em1weddingmakeup.jpg

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Gotta back up EL on the mineral makeup. Between the talc and the mica, the small particles can reflect light back at the camera. When I do wear makeup it is always minerals, but today I''m putting on my big girl panties (thanks PP) and going to the Clinique counter to get different stuff. Last week or the week before I put a few different types of foundations on my hand and took a bunch of photos and the difference was startling.

Let me see if I can find the photos to show you.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
EM1: Your eyes looks amazing! I hardly ever apply make-up because I am hopeless, but for my FSIL''s wedding she had a mua come and they did something very dramatic with my eyes. I loved it! Do you mind telling me who you''re using, since I think we are in the same area?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:34:42 AM
Author: Bia
EM1: Your eyes looks amazing! I hardly ever apply make-up because I am hopeless, but for my FSIL''s wedding she had a mua come and they did something very dramatic with my eyes. I loved it! Do you mind telling me who you''re using, since I think we are in the same area?
Of course! I''m using Dorthoy Carlton from Pretty Bird Bridal.... http://www.prettybirdbridal.com/ She also does hair too if you are looking for someone. I already had a hairstylist before I booked Dorothy. Let me know if you have other questions on other local mu artists. I found the girls on the knot very limited in information in this area. They always suggest the same people and one of the suggestions I had a huge problem with. So...just an fyi...

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, thanks for all your input on airbrushing vs traditional make up. It seems like there are people that go both ways.

Panda, did you book your MUA without a trial? It would seem very expensive to fly to Maui just for a makeup trial... As much as I''d love to do that... :)

DCGator, yes, please give me a rec for your MUA! I''ll be going down in May, and probably after that, but not sure when. One of these trips I''ll do a makeup and hair trial I guess.

EM1, thanks for posting the picture. It helps to see what airbrush makeup looks like. Love the picture by the way.

Another question (...don''t hit me):

Can older people (e.g. Moms) use airbrushing? That is did any of your moms/grandmas get airbrushing done?

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:38:27 AM
Author: emeraldlover1

EM1: Your eyes looks amazing! I hardly ever apply make-up because I am hopeless, but for my FSIL's wedding she had a mua come and they did something very dramatic with my eyes. I loved it! Do you mind telling me who you're using, since I think we are in the same area?
Of course! I'm using Dorthoy Carlton from Pretty Bird Bridal.... http://www.prettybirdbridal.com/ She also does hair too if you are looking for someone. I already had a hairstylist before I booked Dorothy. Let me know if you have other questions on other local mu artists. I found the girls on the knot very limited in information in this area. They always suggest the same people and one of the suggestions I had a huge problem with. So...just an fyi...
I forgot you're getting married upstate. Probably too far away if I do decide to get married in the city. Do you know anyone really good in the Greater NYC area? That doesnt' charge $1000/hour?

I love Cold Spring by the way. They have a great little french restuarant there and really yummy ice cream parlor right by the river.

>>>sorry for the mini threadjack

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:53:16 AM
Author: lliang_chi

Ladies, thanks for all your input on airbrushing vs traditional make up. It seems like there are people that go both ways.

Panda, did you book your MUA without a trial? It would seem very expensive to fly to Maui just for a makeup trial... As much as I''d love to do that... :)

DCGator, yes, please give me a rec for your MUA! I''ll be going down in May, and probably after that, but not sure when. One of these trips I''ll do a makeup and hair trial I guess.

EM1, thanks for posting the picture. It helps to see what airbrush makeup looks like. Love the picture by the way.

Can older people (e.g. Moms) use airbrushing? That is did any of your moms/grandmas get airbrushing done?
yes, older people can get/use airbrushing but I would make sure that your mu artist is experienced in that. I know some makeup artists charge more for people over 35 cause their skin make be different.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:56:16 AM

Date: 4/7/2009 10:38:27 AM
Author: emeraldlover1

Of course! I''m using Dorthoy Carlton from Pretty Bird Bridal.... http://www.prettybirdbridal.com/ She also does hair too if you are looking for someone. I already had a hairstylist before I booked Dorothy. Let me know if you have other questions on other local mu artists. I found the girls on the knot very limited in information in this area. They always suggest the same people and one of the suggestions I had a huge problem with. So...just an fyi...
I forgot you''re getting married upstate. Probably too far away if I do decide to get married in the city. Do you know anyone really good in the Greater NYC area? That doesnt'' charge $1000/hour?

I love Cold Spring by the way. They have a great little french restuarant there and really yummy ice cream parlor right by the river.

>>>sorry for the mini threadjack
Oh yeah, tons of reco''s for you: Try: http://www.sallyduvall.com/ I heard sally is amazing and well priced. Also, if you can find the number for the Pedalla sisters I know one of them does makeup. I think Dani (PS poster) used them for her wedding but I don''t know what their prices run. I would do a trial with Sally...I''ve heard so many great things about her. Stacy Pitt, who is doing my hair suggested her. If you need someone for hair, Stacy is in the city, she is just traveling for my wedding.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I have an opposite experience of most on this thread, I had trials with both airbursh and non-airbrush make-up and ended up going with the non-airbrush. There was nothing wrong with the airbrush, I just liked the other MUA''s work better and didn''t see a difference in how long it lasted. Honestly, I''d concentrate on finding and MUA whose work you love, and not whether they use airbrush or not. IMHO, traditional make-up applied by a professional looks just as good and lasts just as long as airbrushed make-up. In my case, it wasn''t that the MUA wasn''t skilled enough to use airbursh (he does lots of Hollywood celebrities), it''s just not his method of choice.

EM1 - You look fab. I also went with a very glammed up look for my wedding and love to see pics of others who do the same. Not that the natural look isn''t lovely, I just love a bit of drama.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Any rec''s in the Hackensack area?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Airbrushing:

Similar to spraying paint, when using airbrush makeup it needs to have latex in the foundation...otherwise it''s just a normal foundation you can buy at MAC, or Sephora or wherever.

It isn''t sweat proof, but tends to be longer lasting due to high concentration of foundation used. So, basically, it''s not some super-makeup...it''s just applied thicker which makes it last longer because there is more of it.

Sometimes, people can have adverse reactions to this. Break outs, congested skin, blackheads--these are common complaints. The reason is, when you have a thick and heavy foundation is smoothers the skin, so it''s not breathing. It''s important to really wash your face after wearing it.

Unless you''re doing "drag makeup" airbrushing should only be for foundation.

It''s a photo finish...totally beautiful. But it will look heavier face to face with someone.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 11:49:28 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Airbrushing:

Similar to spraying paint, when using airbrush makeup it needs to have latex in the foundation...otherwise it''s just a normal foundation you can buy at MAC, or Sephora or wherever.

It isn''t sweat proof, but tends to be longer lasting due to high concentration of foundation used. So, basically, it''s not some super-makeup...it''s just applied thicker which makes it last longer because there is more of it.

Sometimes, people can have adverse reactions to this. Break outs, congested skin, blackheads--these are common complaints. The reason is, when you have a thick and heavy foundation is smoothers the skin, so it''s not breathing. It''s important to really wash your face after wearing it.

Unless you''re doing ''drag makeup'' airbrushing should only be for foundation.

It''s a photo finish...totally beautiful. But it will look heavier face to face with someone.
See, that''s what I''m worried about. Having a cake-face look. I hate that. But I guess you have decide what''s more important: looking amazing in your photographs or looking natural face to face, right? Decisions, decisions...

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
i have a question about both - about how much do make up artists even cost? i wear barely any makeup now, but did a trial at the bobbi brown counter (per my friend''s recommendation) and dropped more cash on makeup in one day than i probably have spent total on makeup for my entire life so far (LOL)
i did go overboard and bought brushes, thinking that i would continue to use them in the future (my attempt to be a bit more ''girly'')

today, i''m just trying to justify the money spent - wondering if i really need to keep it all - wondering if its worth it.
my friend is DOING my makeup that day, but im suddenly having buyers regret because im in no way used to spending that much on makeup.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Lliang, I am booking my MUA without a trial but we will be in Maui four days before the wedding so I''ll have one when I get there. I am crossing my fingers and hoping it''ll be fine but if not, that I''ll have enough time to find someone else.

EM1 and EricaR, thanks for your thoughts about mineral make up. I did some research and apparently the shininess comes from brands that use bismuth oxychloride. My MUA uses Jane Iredale, which does not contain that substance. I have no experience with that brand so my decision to go with my MUA is based on her experience with the brand, recommendations I''ve read about her abilities, and reviews/articles I''ve read about the products. I have nothing against airbrushing and at the end of the day, I think it comes down to preference.

If anyone has experience with Jane Iredale products, I''d love to hear about it!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:53:16 AM
Author: lliang_chi

Hey Lisa,

The MUA I am using is called the "Cosmetic Goddess." Her real name is Abby. The website is http://www.cosmeticgoddess.com/

She does a pretty good job. Her trial is $40 and her other rates are REALLY good. She also does a deal where if you get 5 other people (bridesmaids, etc) to do their make-up, yours is free
9.gif
. Her look was clean and she matched my skin color very well. She will also come to your house for the trial, and doesn''t charge any "travel" fees, like some others do. You can tell her Vanessa from DC recommend you. (wedding date 6/6 in case there are more than one of us
2.gif
)

I also looked into a MUA called "Fairytale Beauty" aka Fabiola. She only has a My Space page versus a proper web page, but she was pretty responsive via email and phone. You can find her info on wedding wire.

I looked at a bunch of other ones, but their rates were CRAZY expensive. Let me know if you have any other questions about particular vendors.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
DCGator, do you have any pics from your make up trial?

DMB, I posted in your thread in Hangout about buying expensive make up. You''re getting a lot of good responses there, so I won''t continue it here, but I wouldn''t feel bad if I were you. Your purchases are going to last forever, and you can enjoy your make up purchase for a while.

Panda, Wish you luck on your make up. Sounds like you did as much research as you could so I''m sure you''ll be okay.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 11:49:28 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Airbrushing:

Unless you''re doing ''drag makeup'' airbrushing should only be for foundation.

I''m sorry italia but I don''t agree with this. There are different types of airbrush foundation makeup out there, that much I agree with but the biggest difference in airbrushing I found is that because you are "airbrushing" the make up in very small layers on to the skin the result is a much more even look. I actually perfer the mac airbrush foundation for professionals. I''ve had that makeup applied both traditionally and airbrush and it was much better airbrushed. I thought the airbrush makeup was actually lighter on my skin than the traditionally applied makeup. There was not a higher concentration of the product on the skin there was actually less. I think that is going to depend on the type of makeup as well as the makeup artist and how much they put on.

The makeup artists that I contacted for the purpose of the wedding in NYC and surrounding areas do not use the type of latex airbrush makeup on brides as they do on their professional photoshoots. In a professional photoshoot the weather is a controled environment to which the makeup is easily kept up. The ones that have used this on real brides claim that it isn''t for everyone and that using this type of foundation completely depends on the type of skin and the environment.

So...what I am saying is that I think regardless of what type of makeup is airbrushed I think the result is more flawless than with traditionally applied makeup. Personal preference. I think a lot of how it looks in the long run has more to do with the application. All I am saying is that while airbrushing isn''t for everyone neither might be latex based foundation.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Panda...that is good to hear that you found out what component of the makeup it is that causes the shine. I''ll have to look at my makeup when I get home and let you know what is in it.

Regardless, you are getting married in Hawaii and I''m sure that the makeup artist that you hired is very familar with the environment which will help a lot. I would however, have her send you a mini makeup kit of the makeup she will be using so that you can test it out on your skin first.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Melissa, I do have the name of someone for you in Jersey. Alexa from the glam fairy: http://www.theglamfairy.com/ I contacted her about my wedding as well but she was just too much money considering how far away she would have to drive. Her prices are a little on the high side but I think that you could neggotiate with her. I got the feeling she was flexible and she has assistants so one of them should work. She and her staff do both traditionall and airbrush makeup.

ETA....I spent way to much time stressing on this area of my wedding. I should get a life.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:30:03 AM
Author: EricaR
Gotta back up EL on the mineral makeup. Between the talc and the mica, the small particles can reflect light back at the camera. When I do wear makeup it is always minerals, but today I''m putting on my big girl panties (thanks PP) and going to the Clinique counter to get different stuff. Last week or the week before I put a few different types of foundations on my hand and took a bunch of photos and the difference was startling.

Let me see if I can find the photos to show you.

EricaR, are you doing your own make-up in Mexico? I''m trying to find a MUA in Playa del Carmen with no luck. I really don''t wanna have to do it myself and I haven''t read good reviews about the MUA from the Resort salon...
8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results