shape
carat
color
clarity

Makers Mark

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Which vendors who do custom work mark their pieces? I was noticing that in the WF custom project I can never see their mark. Is that just a coincidence? Or do they not mark them? Does having a makers mark on a peice affect the value at all?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering the same thing. My Quest ring has no marking either.
33.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just checked my new ring from Quest and no marking either diamondlil.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I dont want to say who, but someone got their ring appraised and they were told that not having a makers mark lowers the value. I was wondering if this was true or just one appraiser opinion. I am not trying to upset anyone, I think Kaliehg, Diamondlil, RL, and LLL rings are all very lovely.

tareyton

Rough_Rock
Makers Mark I got excited and though we were talking Bourbon.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 3:01:03 PM
Author:Matatora
Which vendors who do custom work mark their pieces? I was noticing that in the WF custom project I can never see their mark. Is that just a coincidence? Or do they not mark them? Does having a makers mark on a peice affect the value at all?
Mattie,

We mark our line of Whiteflash design pieces, but have not always marked customers'' custom projects.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well dang now I feel jipped!
3.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not having a hallmark on a Tiffany ring would indeed lower the value and call into question by any downline purchaser if it were indeed a Tiffany ring.

Not having a hallmark on a Wink Jones ring would not affect the value at all as far as appraisal purposes went. If I were to become famous and my rings treasured by collectors then the absence of those hallmarks would indeed cause problems to the sellers of my rings. Without the hallmark the ring should be appraised as is and for what it would cost to replace it as is. With a hallmark, the ring should be appraised for what it would cost to replace it at the store with the hallmark. That is true of designer lines also. A Vatche ring is worth more with the hallmark than a similar unbranded ring without it, since it sells for a higher price.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well Dang! You guys got in a lot of responses while I was typing!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Can someone request a mark? Or is this not right if the customer helps in the design?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
If you would like our mark on a design of your own imagination I suspect we would honor the request (unless I hear otherwise from our legal people).

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 5:33:37 PM
Author: Wink
Not having a hallmark on a Tiffany ring would indeed lower the value and call into question by any downline purchaser if it were indeed a Tiffany ring.

Not having a hallmark on a Wink Jones ring would not affect the value at all as far as appraisal purposes went. If I were to become famous and my rings treasured by collectors then the absence of those hallmarks would indeed cause problems to the sellers of my rings. Without the hallmark the ring should be appraised as is and for what it would cost to replace it as is. With a hallmark, the ring should be appraised for what it would cost to replace it at the store with the hallmark. That is true of designer lines also. A Vatche ring is worth more with the hallmark than a similar unbranded ring without it, since it sells for a higher price.

Wink
Thanks Wink!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 5:33:32 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
No No Ame... Feel honored. It was, after all, YOUR design. We just produced it.
I ripped off a prior. But Id love my own mark in it...Hrmmmm...what could I put in there!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 6:37:45 PM
Author: ame

But Id love my own mark in it...Hrmmmm...what could I put in there!!!

A teeny tiny little engraved LOUPE, what else???! The international Mark of Ame!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Lynn

Hamster

Rough_Rock
I thought this thread was about whiskey
19.gif

(there is a brand called Maker''s Mark)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wasch that you shay?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 8:15:15 PM
Author: Hamster
19.gif

oy! That makes two of you, I dont inhibe so I never see things like that...I can be a bit of a flake. Sorry.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some pieces of jewelry designed by people or companies with well-known names. One of the designers whose work I have recently bought is Gurhan. I will have to look at the pieces, but I believe some pieces by Gurhan are marked and some are not, due to the size of the piece. Most of my jewelry is yellow gold. I have some pieces by Gurhan, some by Yossi Harari, and some by Elsa Peretti in yellow gold. I will try to look at them tomorrow (when there is some light)!

Deborah

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The marking on a ring sort of serves two purposes.

It can affect the value of an item when the maker of the item, does have CRITICAL ACCLAIM (such as a major designer).
There Wink is correct. However, I wouldn't say a Wink Jones ring now, with a marking that he made it, would have great affect in the value, but many times an artist's critical acclaim doesn't always happen while he's alive or producing his designs/creations. However some of the rings and jewelry he's posted are rather unique, and if for some reason he stopped making such items, his "name" could get critical acclaim when that occured.

The second issue of puting the TRADEMARK of the maker is to idenify who is "liable" if later proven that the metal fineness was less than the requirements made legally. Years ago in PHilly I participated in exposing UNDERKARATING with consumer reporter Herb Denenberg. It became a very popular topic and many consumer news reporters did copies of his original story.
In many of the jewelry shops in Philadelphia, many jeweler were selling gold jewelry that was marked "14K" - but after assaying the item the karat gold content was from 9 karat to 12 karat. In every case these underkarated items did not have the maker's mark on them. Retailers who were selling these blamed their suppliers, however consumers that purchased these items were the ones who ultimately suffered the loss.

So if your gold item turns out not to be as marked, the hallmark "points" the finger at the responsible party. At the time, (and I believe they still do) the Jewelers Vigilance Committe (JVC) strong recommends to not buy jewelry that doesn't bear the hallmark or manufacturer's trademark.

In the last 15-20 years the marking of "KP" ( which stands for karat plumb ) denotes that whomever stamped it is stating the item is within the legally required tolerance(s) for that karat fineness marking AND THE TRADEMARK OF THE MANUFACTURER IS STAMPED IN THE ITEM AS WELL.

Rockdoc

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Although it wasn''t my ring that Matatora was refering to, my appraiser stressed that a designer''s mark is desirable, and that often he can assign a higher value to a piece documented as a custom design (maybe not a lot more, but that there is a certain unnamed % assigned to marked pieces.)

I believe my appraiser said that if a ring is marked and the marking can be properly attributed (i.e. via detailed sales receipt) that information is then affixed to the appraisal. If as RocDoc pointed out, the designer becomes sought after, that makers mark is crucial and the appraisal can back that up. Also, pieces that are custom often pull higher prices at resale then those that are unmarked (as any antique-nut can tell you, provenance is very important.)

There is also the very important reality that if a maker can be documented in the appraisal, it will help with proper remake/replacement in regards to insurance.

I made sure that my ring designer would have my ring engraved not only with the platinum marking but also his designer mark as well, can''t be too careful!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 8:10:03 PM
Author: Lynn B
Date: 10/5/2005 6:37:45 PM

Author: ame

But Id love my own mark in it...Hrmmmm...what could I put in there!!!

A teeny tiny little engraved LOUPE, what else???! The international Mark of Ame!!!

2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Lynn
GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

burnban35

Rough_Rock
All of this leads me to a question about trademarking a diamond.

I recently purchased my SQH&A from GOG. I wanted the GIA # inscribed on the diamond, however because GIA did not inscribe the number GOG could not use GIA as part of the inscription. They instead used UDIS (Ultimate Diamond Information Site) and the GIA#. My appraiser said this now trademarks the diamond and becomes part of my appraisal. Does this help or hurt me? They did not cut the diamond and to my understanding there are only a couple of places that do cut the SQH&A. What might I be looking at if I need to replace my diamond in the future?
33.gif

I''m interested in any opinions out there.

Thanks
Michelle

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/5/2005 9:01:18 PM
Author: Matatora
Date: 10/5/2005 8:15:15 PM

Author: Hamster

19.gif

oy! That makes two of you, I dont inhibe so I never see things like that...I can be a bit of a flake. Sorry.

Nothing flaky about not knowing a brand of whiskey, kind of refreshing actually. I think the thread is actually very educational and interesting, with a little off beat humor thrown in. I am glad you found my informational post helpful and I apologise if you did not care for my wierd sense of humor.

Wink

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
No I did think you were funny!
2.gif

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/5/2005 9:17:06 PM
Author: RockDoc
The marking on a ring sort of serves two purposes.

It can affect the value of an item when the maker of the item, does have CRITICAL ACCLAIM (such as a major designer).
There Wink is correct. However, I wouldn''t say a Wink Jones ring now, with a marking that he made it, would have great affect in the value, but many times an artist''s critical acclaim doesn''t always happen while he''s alive or producing his designs/creations. However some of the rings and jewelry he''s posted are rather unique, and if for some reason he stopped making such items, his ''name'' could get critical acclaim when that occured.

The second issue of puting the TRADEMARK of the maker is to idenify who is ''liable'' if later proven that the metal fineness was less than the requirements made legally. Years ago in PHilly I participated in exposing UNDERKARATING with consumer reporter Herb Denenberg. It became a very popular topic and many consumer news reporters did copies of his original story.
In many of the jewelry shops in Philadelphia, many jeweler were selling gold jewelry that was marked ''14K'' - but after assaying the item the karat gold content was from 9 karat to 12 karat. In every case these underkarated items did not have the maker''s mark on them. Retailers who were selling these blamed their suppliers, however consumers that purchased these items were the ones who ultimately suffered the loss.

So if your gold item turns out not to be as marked, the hallmark ''points'' the finger at the responsible party. At the time, (and I believe they still do) the Jewelers Vigilance Committe (JVC) strong recommends to not buy jewelry that doesn''t bear the hallmark or manufacturer''s trademark.

In the last 15-20 years the marking of ''KP'' ( which stands for karat plumb ) denotes that whomever stamped it is stating the item is within the legally required tolerance(s) for that karat fineness marking AND THE TRADEMARK OF THE MANUFACTURER IS STAMPED IN THE ITEM AS WELL.

Rockdoc
I have to agree here with Rockdoc. In all of the years in here I have never purchased a piece then resold a piece that did not have the metal content and manufactures hallmark. I believe this to be the law but cannot find the info as yet. When we used to do custom work we stamped our pieces also. On some items that are too small to stamp there was usually a karat marking like on earrings. Many designs have copyright stamps inside also. So, my advice would be to insist that the pieces custom or not be properly stamped. If there is a problem down the road there is no question on who''s piece it is.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bill,

If I understand it correctly, the law does not require that a piece of jewelry be hallmarked, but that if it has a karat stamp then it must also have a hallmark so that the karat stamp can be enforced against the maker if it is incorrect. Thus all of the many rings seen with a karat stamp but no hallmark are in violation of the Federal Trade Commission''s rules and regulations.

Wink

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/6/2005 1:04:10 PM
Bill,

If I understand it correctly, the law does not require that a piece of jewelry be hallmarked, but that if it has a karat stamp then it must also have a hallmark so that the karat stamp can be enforced against the maker if it is incorrect. Thus all of the many rings seen with a karat stamp but no hallmark are in violation of the Federal Trade Commission''s rules and regulations.

Wink
Hi Wink,

This is what the plumb laws were all about that Rockdoc referenced and I believe it was to apply to both manufactures and custom jewelers. Back in the 80''s our lawyer advised us to properly identify the karat content and our personal hallmark because we we going into our own custom design. I can understand a dental student or amateur hobbyist making a item for person use or favors for a friend. But, I believe a business that sells to the public must include these identifying marks. I''ve got email into both sides and am waiting their response.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Here''s what the FTC says.... however the FTC Guidelines are just that ... Guidelines. They do not always have the force of law. They do in FTC "court" and in Federal Court,but in cases held in state jurisdictions, there is the requirement that the state adopt the Guideline to have the force of law, although a proper argument can be made through "persuasive authority" that in specific matters will considered as law. Don''t confuse the Guidelines with trade regulations of the FTC which do have the force of law.

But the marking of gold and silver by way of the National Stamping Act does have the force of law

Here is an excerpt from the FTC Guidelines.

Note 1 to § 23.9: Legibility of markings. If a quality mark is engraved or stamped on an industry product, or is printed on a tag or label attached to the product, the quality mark should be of sufficient size type as to be legible to persons of normal vision, should be so placed as likely to be observed by purchasers, and should be so attached as to remain thereon until consumer purchase.

Note 2 to § 23.9: Disclosure of identity of manufacturers, processors, or distributors. The National Stamping Act provides that any person, firm, corporation, or association, being a manufacturer or dealer subject to section 294 of the Act, who applies or causes to be applied a quality mark, or imports any article bearing a quality mark "which indicates or purports to indicate that such article is made in whole or in part of gold or silver or of an alloy of either metal" shall apply to the article the trademark or name of such person. 15 U.S.C. 297.

Capital Bill is very correct in saying you do not have the legal responsibility to stamp or mark it with the karat finessess, but if you do, you must identify who is doing the marking.

For those who want to see what the FTC Guidelines for jewelry actually say, you can go to www.ftc.gov then click on rules and guides.

Currently the FTC is accepting response from the industry or other interested parties to amend the guidlines for platinum. Those interested in responding have a deadline of October 12,2005 which was just extended.

Rockdoc

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2005 1:22:25 PM
Author: mepearl53

Date: 10/6/2005 1:04:10 PM
Bill,

Wink
Hi Wink,

This is what the plumb laws were all about that Rockdoc referenced and I believe it was to apply to both manufactures and custom jewelers. Back in the 80''s our lawyer advised us to properly identify the karat content and our personal hallmark because we we going into our own custom design. I can understand a dental student or amateur hobbyist making a item for person use or favors for a friend. But, I believe a business that sells to the public must include these identifying marks. I''ve got email into both sides and am waiting their response.
Would this be to protect the consumer, maker, both?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results