shape
carat
color
clarity

Make up help

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need some new foundation but haven't bought in a looong time. The last I bought was a Jane Iredale compact of pressed mineral powder, and while I still have some left, I want to get something new. That powder is expensive and even though I was "matched" in the office of the skin place that sells it, I don't think it is a super close match to my skin. (which of course I didn't really notice until I'd worn it a couple times) I thought about buying a few different sample sizes off ebay of the different shades that might work better for me but man I hate feeling like I'm throwing money away on stuff that doesn't work for me. I have some weird shade of skin or something..it's like pulling teeth to get a close match to my skin. When I used to tan it was easy but it's been years now and I still can't find the right shade of pale for me.

The closest place around here for me to go is Clinique, about an hour away. The Jane Iredale skin place is in the same city. There used to be a Prescriptives in the mall there, and I was matched twice and both times different colors, and both times I didn't like it. And of course, I can buy online (I thought about trying one of the MAC foundations..) but it's hard to judge color on the monitor.

I'm oily, icky acne skin and was told since I blush easily I probably have rosacea. (tho I thought that was something different but who knows) I can't for the life of me figure out the tone/undertone of my skin..my veins look blue and I burn easily so I figure cool, but everything looks so pink on me no matter how I blend it into my neck. My face is darker than the rest of me..kind of ruddy I call it.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to buy foundation without spending a bunch of money on the wrong shades? In the long run, I don't care if it's expensive to buy a bottle or a jar or whatever, so long as it's the *right* one.

Oh, and do I need a primer and finishing powder??

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Wh kind of coverage are you looking for? I have acne and I use the aveeno tinted moisturize...I feel like foundation breaks me out. I also use bare minerals when I want more coverage. Sephora online is a good place to shop; they have a very generous return policy.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not too heavy coverage. Medium I guess. I tried BE once a few years ago, ordering the Light kit, and it didn't look right. Maybe they have a lighter color now?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a Sephora nearby? I am in love with that store! I too have oily, acne prone skin and I'm so fair that most foundations are too dark and when I blush I turn lobster colored. My favorite primer is by Avon called MagiX

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=109231/MagiX_Face_Perfector/Avon/Primer/_Corrector

It really helps with smoothing the texture of my skin and has drastically reduced the amount of foundation I need to use. My foundation is the Sephora brand for combination skin followed by Makeup forever HD pressed foundation powder (I prefer a foundation powder over a finishing powder just for that bit of extra coverage - plus Makeup forever's HD powder doesn't cake up like a lot of others can). I used to use Acne Solutions liquid makeup by Clinique but they changed their formula to make the base more yellow and it no longer matches my skin ;( .

oooh, I just found this on Sephora.com. Looks like a trip to the mall for a sample!

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;jsessionid=LLVEWXMSFASZECV0KQRQIGQ?id=P294212&categoryId=C7010

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The closest Sephora is 2 1/2 hours away. I've browsed online a LOT and was thinking of trying MUFE mat velvet foundation but..the shade choices get me. (well, that and the list of ingredients that I can't pronounce, I wonder if that stuff will make me break out worse) The HD powder I for sure want to try. I have little slips of paper laying all over of things I've been interested in and looking up on Makeup Alley.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom has a Mary Kay lady..maybe I should call her?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I've found the cheapy Loreal true match is the only match that comes close for me. I don't like it heavy so I dampen a non-latex makeup sponge with water, get the foundation so it's sucked in to the wet sponge then stipple it on. It's like $8 at drugstores and I don't think anyone's topped it. Btw, Clinique and Loreal are the same company.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I've tried lots of brands and I always end up going back to Max Factor - I pretty much like all of theirs. I'm currently using their Colour Adapt. I have very pale skin and it's really hard to find foundations that look natural. This gives good coverage and really blends with your natural skin tone. Plus it feels lovely and light, lasts well and is easy to put on.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1312666473|2985581 said:
I've found the cheapy Loreal true match is the only match that comes close for me. I don't like it heavy so I dampen a non-latex makeup sponge with water, get the foundation so it's sucked in to the wet sponge then stipple it on. It's like $8 at drugstores and I don't think anyone's topped it. Btw, Clinique and Loreal are the same company.

I'll check that kind out Kelpie, thanks. I think I tried it once a while back but it was one of those deals where a couple shades looked like possibilities, I chose one and probably should've gone w/the other. The display in Walmart had a plastic thing w/little squares of color you held up to your wrist and whichever blended in was the one to pick.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1312667501|2985593 said:

I'll check that kind out Kelpie, thanks. I think I tried it once a while back but it was one of those deals where a couple shades looked like possibilities, I chose one and probably should've gone w/the other. The display in Walmart had a plastic thing w/little squares of color you held up to your wrist and whichever blended in was the one to pick.

Yes, but next time hold the plastic to your jaw and choose the one that disappears.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1312667382|2985590 said:
I've tried lots of brands and I always end up going back to Max Factor - I pretty much like all of theirs. I'm currently using their Colour Adapt. I have very pale skin and it's really hard to find foundations that look natural. This gives good coverage and really blends with your natural skin tone. Plus it feels lovely and light, lasts well and is easy to put on.

I didn't realize they made Max Factor anymore. When I tanned, my absolute favorite was MF mattifying liquid foundation, I think it was called. It was really thin, practically just colored water, and had a little bead inside and it clicked when you shook it. My skin was clearer back then tho, so I'm not sure if it would still work as well, if they even still make it. I'll check out the Colour Adapt tho.

I wonder why pale skin is so much harder to match?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1312667824|2985595 said:
packrat|1312667501|2985593 said:

Yes, but next time hold the plastic to your jaw and choose the one that disappears.

Ok, thanks Kelpie! How does it work for controlling shine etc?

I'm in my brother's wedding next month and I really really don't want to be all shiny!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
After using many different kinds over years, from top expensive to not-so, never being very happy w/them, I got trapped by a neighbor into a Mary Kay demo -- and have used it ever since. What a surprise! They have different levels of coverage, I think 3, depending on your skin & what you want. Colors are very good -- & I have such light skin, it's always a problem matching it. I use their liquid foundation & mineral pressed powder. Either alone will do the job too -- the mineral powder comes in different coverages too, as i recall. LOVE their lipsticks & gloss. It's not expensive and they bring it to you!

--- Laurie

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
My nose and forehead have huge pores and are very shiny any I think it covers both those problems well without being too heavy. I only wear makeup every couple months anymore it seems but I used to do it daily and it was fantastic on my pale but ruddy/acne ridden complexion.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
I have really delicate skin and almost every foundation I tried dried me out way to much. I am also acne prone and even Mary Kay broke me out several times! It was a hassle finding a 'good' one that would actually work. The only foundation that I swear by is Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation. It gives you a flawless finish, and it's not too heavy at all! I haven't broken out from it and it's been almost a year since I bought my first tube. It runs about $42 if you buy it at Sephora or Nordstrom.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did use MK years ago..I forget why I switched tho..Maybe I'll give mom's MK lady a call and try it out again. I saw on the website they have more kinds than they did when I used it 10+ years ago.

I saw they have a ready made bundle of eye colors for blue eyes too, so I might need to give that a whirl..MUFE has a set for blue eyes I've been looking at on Sephora but it's like $42.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1312664669|2985567 said:
Not too heavy coverage. Medium I guess. I tried BE once a few years ago, ordering the Light kit, and it didn't look right. Maybe they have a lighter color now?

They have expended their product line quite a bit over the past few years...one on hand, there are more options...on the other, there are so many options!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Packrat, if there's any possibility that you really do have rosacea, be really careful about what's in the foundation you do finally end up choosing, because a lot of the chemicals in foundations can make it much worse. In fact, that may be why your face ends up looking ruddy. I can second Kelpie's suggestion of the L'Oreal True Match as being unlikely to irritate your skin (if it's rosacea that's the issue) and Jane Iredale is excellent if you can get a match. Other brands are Illuminare, Revlon ColorStay, and Paula's Choice tinted moisturizer. Anything with one of the chemical sunscreens, or fragrances like lavender or citrus are also known irritants.

I found all of this out the hard way, unfortunately.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's never been dx by a dermatologist, tho I've been going (not regularly anymore tho) for over 20 years. I was getting a peel last year and the nurse doing it mentioned it, so I really don't know for sure..but I definitely want to be careful what I put on my skin b/c I don't want to clog anything!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
packrat said:
It's never been dx by a dermatologist, tho I've been going (not regularly anymore tho) for over 20 years. I was getting a peel last year and the nurse doing it mentioned it, so I really don't know for sure..but I definitely want to be careful what I put on my skin b/c I don't want to clog anything!

I know, it's that catch-22 thing: wanting a foundation to make your skin look good--and then the darn stuff breaks you out. Not everybody likes her, but I usually check out new makeup at http://www.beautypedia.com, just to see if there are any known irritants in it. Even the drugstore foundation is not cheap these days.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Mineral makeup has never quite worked for me. It always settles in my pores and I'm a shiny mess after a few hours. I'm not super pale, but I always go for the lightest shade possible - otherwise I turn orange. The following is a list of liquid foundations that work well for me:

Revlon Colorstay for Oily Skin
MUFE HD Oil Free
Clinique Even Better
Laura Mercier Oil Free

I've also used some Mary Kay foundations with good success. You can usually find MK products on Ebay for super cheap!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks centralsquare-I've been looking up all kinds of things like a mad woman for a couple weeks there!

Thanks LAJennifer! I notice sometimes the powder mineral makeup seems to separate on my skin..it looks terrible, so I've been thinking of going back to liquid. Maybe it happens b/c I've not been using a primer or a finishing powder like the HD? I dunno.

I see there are a few more good reviews for the MUFE Mat-Velvet foundation..I really want to try it, it says it lasts really well and controls oil..do they do little samples? When I looked at it on Sephora there were a few different shades that I thought might work but it's hard to decide which to try!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
You might be able to find some samples on ebay. I love the MUFE HD foundation - but I admit I'm too cheap to buy a bottle. What I do is every time I'm near a Sephora, I go in and ask for them to pour me some samples. I don't wear makeup everyday, and with the MUFE - a little goes a long way, so those samples last me quite a while. If you make the trek to Sephora, they will be happy to pour you as many samples as you like (so you can try the different brands and shades to see which best suit you). I usually have them pour a primer sample as well.

Once you have narrowed down the shade you like, you can always buy online via the Sephora website.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
So for mineral make up you have to have moisturized skin. And you have to let the moisturizer set it. It's high maintenance but really effective.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Your skin sounds a lot like mine. I'm not a fan of makeup, for all the same reasons - too hard to find a match etc, but when I do wear it, for an every day option I like Bare Minerals in Fairly Light.

If you're looking to splash out, I also love La Prairie's foundation worn with a dusting of Creme de la Mer mineral powder. I got hooked back in the day when DH traveled for work and brought them from the duty free stores.

The other option you might like is Christian Dior airflash. You spray it on and don't blend - it just falls onto your skin like a light mist. I love how that one looks, but it's too messy for me to use every day (don't get it in your hair and clean it off your eyebrows...). I use it for special occasions and it works especially well if you're going to be photographed. It's just a bit too much effort for regular wear.

Hope you find something you love.

I have a lot of different kinds of make-up.. from $1 lines to higher end stuff.

My absolute favorite is to use a MAC skinfinish (regular or mineralized) on top of foundation. There are so many kinds and they make the skin so luminous. It also can help hide foundation mistakes too

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a Prescriptives user for years until they went out of business. I have been using Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. I apply it with a foundation brush and this stuff never wears off - even though parts of my face can still be oily. I blot it a couple of times a day with tissues and get the oil but not the color. It truly stays put until I wash my face at night. I sort of thought of Estee Lauder as old lady makeup but this stuff has really worked for me.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
packrat,

I have very similar skin - oily, ruddy skin (I have mild rosacea) minus the acne. Here's what works best for me:

Dr. Pickart's Face Cleanser (from Skin Biology) - It's very gentle, ph balanced and recommended for rosacea because it's non-irritating. I find this works well for reducing redness. I've found that many cleansers and moisturizers (even expensive ones) can really irritate my skin. By doing a bit of research I've found the right balance for me and it really made a difference in reducing redness.

Revlon ColorStay Active Light makeup - This really lasts for me. It provides just enough coverage for my ruddy skin without being too heavy.

Shiseido Pureness Oil-Control Blotting papers - These work great for controlling oil throughout the day. One side is coated *very* lightly in oil-absorbing powder. I ordered them online at Sephora.

Hope this helps!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did find some HD powder samples on ebay so I'll keep an eye on the auctions. I wish Sephora were closer..an hour away in the "big city" would be no big deal but I just can't justify 2 1/2 hours..or if they had an online sample thing you could buy, that would be great.

I started using Proactiv again a couple few months ago and I really dislike it so I have to switch back to the more expensive Skin Medica acne system..hopefully there's enough time before the wedding to clear me up a little bit.

My skin is rarely dry, it's mostly oil slick shiny. What works best for me is the Skin Medica peels once a month and then the SM acne system between times, but unless the place is running a special, they're $300/peel, so I've not had one for a year.

The Revlon and L'oreal I can get at Walmart..I'll have to make a run over there sometime and look at the selection. Small town living really sucks during times like this!

I've tried rice paper before for blotting oil and never really liked it..but it's been years since I've used them, so I'll give them a try again.

The Younkers at the mall in our area has an Estee Lauder and a Clinique so I think I'll look at them too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results