shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahogany Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone!

DH and I are looking into dining sets and I thought I''d reach out to the resident PS experts for some advice.

Does anyone have any experience with mahogany furniture? Quality wise, is it good? What about longevity? Cracking?

We are thinking about this table for our dining room (in a Victorian house with red-ish hardwood:

35314793eeee02_01d3256887.jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Or maybe this style:

CAM-TDN-229-M (2).jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
There are other versions of this style with different wood available (i.e. maple or oak) but the one with the best price we''ve found (through a contact) is mahogany.

Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and also does anyone have a preference between the two styles?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2009 6:17:07 PM
Author: october2008bride
Oh and also does anyone have a preference between the two styles?
I like the first one, without the cross bar underneath

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks D&T!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I like the second one, but that is just personal preference. The first one is better if you want a more formal dining room, I think the second one is better for a more casual space.

Mahogany is a very good wood. It is actually getting a bit harder to find as it is becoming endangered in some areas and laws banning export have been made. But since there are already tables already made, I think it is a good choice. It will last you guys years, and you will probably be able to pass it down.

ETA - I missed you were moving to a victorian, I would go for the first one than.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the first table, it''s got a very traditional look as opposed to a farm-kitchen look that I get with the second one.

Mahogany is my wood of choice. It comes in a lot of color variations and lots of variations within each piece. It seems to go well with any other wood I''ve put with it, (walnut, cherry, antiqued oak). As it ages it goes an even deeper reddish with browns in it. If you want to refresh the color, it''s easily stripped back down to its lighter counterpart. You don''t often see knots in Mahogany which makes it look "rich" to me.

It is very strong and hold up well to sanding (I refinish furniture so I''m all about the sanding well...)

Mahogany is often used in decking because it''s naturally resistant to rotting.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 8:11:52 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I like the second one, but that is just personal preference. The first one is better if you want a more formal dining room, I think the second one is better for a more casual space.

Mahogany is a very good wood. It is actually getting a bit harder to find as it is becoming endangered in some areas and laws banning export have been made. But since there are already tables already made, I think it is a good choice. It will last you guys years, and you will probably be able to pass it down.

ETA - I missed you were moving to a victorian, I would go for the first one than.

Yes - it is going to be a ''formal'' dining/living room so maybe #1 is best. The space is pretty narrow so space might be an issue, but the table can be customized so we can go narrower if that works better.

Thanks for the input!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 8:18:30 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I prefer the first table, it''s got a very traditional look as opposed to a farm-kitchen look that I get with the second one.

Mahogany is my wood of choice. It comes in a lot of color variations and lots of variations within each piece. It seems to go well with any other wood I''ve put with it, (walnut, cherry, antiqued oak). As it ages it goes an even deeper reddish with browns in it. If you want to refresh the color, it''s easily stripped back down to its lighter counterpart. You don''t often see knots in Mahogany which makes it look ''rich'' to me.

It is very strong and hold up well to sanding (I refinish furniture so I''m all about the sanding well...)

Mahogany is often used in decking because it''s naturally resistant to rotting.

Interesting info! For some reason I couldn''t find good info on the net about the wood so that is great to know! Thanks so much - I don''t know what I''d do without my ps''ers :)

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
The first one is timeless.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I much prefer the first one...especially if it''ll be a formal room.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
i like the first one too!

as for mahogany itself, our bed and the baby''s crib & dresser are all mahogany and i love the look and feel of it. all the pieces are <1.5 yrs old though so i can''t say much about the longevity or how it will wear over time.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I love the first one you posted. GORGEOUS!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree, I like the first one too.

My master bedroom suite is mahogany. My set is about five years old and it still looks great. Mahogany is very sturdy wood and it will resist scratching and dinging. It is on the endangered list, so it''s a little hard to come by these days. It''s color is so rich and warm though. I absolutely love it. I have mahogany tables in my formal living room too.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
mahagony is great wood. i prefer #2 as it has nice lines....#1 is too stark for me. mahagony cries out to be curvaeous.

mz

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 10:45:58 PM
Author: pennquaker09
The first one is timeless.
Ditto, love the 1st one! I have a Mahogany bedroom set and it is going on 10 yrs now; we bought it from Thomasville and we haven''t had any cracking. It is very solid but it can be heavy to move (based on past experience). What an exciting purchase!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the comments everyone - DH is leaning towards #1 now and I think I am too. We'd always thought we wanted trestle (like #2) but all of a sudden it is looking too country for the style of our house (and the other furniture we are buying).

We are also trying to decide on chairs.

Option for side chairs:

Link

And for the two ends, either:

Option 1

or

Option 2

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and as a reminder, here is our dining room:

5540404040909_4_bi.jpg

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
beautiful room october!

i''m struggling with wall decor for my house and would love to know where you shop for it, the pieces in your picture are lovely.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 3:52:09 PM
Author: sbde
beautiful room october!

i''m struggling with wall decor for my house and would love to know where you shop for it, the pieces in your picture are lovely.

I wish I could help but the stuff in the last picture is the current owners (or the stagers). Sorry!

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
np october! maybe i''ll start a new thread about it.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I love mahogany! I would choose table #1 because it has nice lines and will allow diners more leg room.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results