shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge Spinel Help!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! I love Mahenge Spinels :kiss2:. What does your ideal Mahenge shade look like?
Here’s an option that doesn’t break the bank at Multicolour:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-266416948
FD61D4FA-7710-4440-B014-54C8C3DB78E9.jpeg
I bought mine from Sukrita at Prima/Aurelia Gems. I just told her what I was looking for and my budget and she pulled a couple of options for me. Here’s her Etsy store link (she has more available than what is listed): https://www.etsy.com/shop/AureliaGems?search_query=Mahenge+spinel

I like David Weinberg. Always honest. He sets some of my jewellery - mostly anything requiring melee. And does a good job most of the time.

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20190816_123745173.jpg
I'm currently on a buying ban. Even if I broke it for a <$200 Multicolour purple spinel and some inexpensive Namibian demantoids from Dan Stair using my birthday money. I already have an orangey-pink Mahenge spinel (pictured center) that I bought from Mike at Gran Gem.

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
@2Neezers @rainydaze It's good to know about Gemfix's easy return policy. I might reach out to them next!
@T L @voce The Yavorskyy spinel has a nice pink. It's not what I'm looking for at the moment but I do want a padparadscha color gemstone down the road (that my poor wallet can afford) :lol:

By some coincidence, I now have another spinel for consideration: I got in touch with someone on Loupe Troop and she's offering up a trillion (6.9mm, 1.28ct). It was originally purchase from Prima, and described as "more red than many Mahenge, but not red."

It seems very well cut (little extinction), and seems to get brighter in sunlight, although she's unsure about UV fluorescence. I'm thinking this might be the one.
Here's a video: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Uh1tulv9K/
img_13853.jpg img_13854.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 3.45.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 3.45.21 PM.png
    339.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 3.43.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 3.43.29 PM.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 22

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
This is not my cup of tea, as there is no other modifier, so for this color I'd rather have a sapphire than have a spinel; it's easier to find this color and quality in a sapphire than in a spinel, since imo pink sapphires are much more plentiful. The orangy pinkish stuff in sapphires will be marketed as padparadscha and therefore exorbitantly expensive, so I find it much more cost-effective to buy orangey pinks as a spinel.

+1
This! Although I may be in the minority here, I actually love a slight warmth in a pink spinel, call it "orange" if you will, I prefer it over a purplish tint that, yes, exactly Voce, makes it look like a pink sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers @rainydaze It's good to know about Gemfix's easy return policy. I might reach out to them next!
@T L @voce The Yavorskyy spinel has a nice pink. It's not what I'm looking for at the moment but I do want a padparadscha color gemstone down the road (that my poor wallet can afford) :lol:

By some coincidence, I now have another spinel for consideration: I got in touch with someone on Loupe Troop and she's offering up a trillion (6.9mm, 1.28ct). It was originally purchase from Prima, and described as "more red than many Mahenge, but not red."

It seems very well cut (little extinction), and seems to get brighter in sunlight, although she's unsure about UV fluorescence. I'm thinking this might be the one.
Is there a return policy?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think this is a very pretty stone, but like @T L mentioned, I would make sure you can return it if it’s not what you are looking for. Pictures and photos are a great starting point, but the only way to know if a stone is the right one for you is to see it in person. It might take ordering and returning a few before you find just the right one, or you could get lucky on the first try :)).

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately the trillion is no longer available, and I'm back to searching for "the one" :cry2: It was a bit of a frustrating experience, as I tried to ask the seller about return policy on this stone, because even if it looked stunning, I had to see it IRL to know for sure. Ultimately I think I became the second choice for selling it to due to my asking for a return policy, at least that's what I suspect happened. Oh well, back to the search.

Now I'm looking at Yvonne Raley's round Mahenge. Any thoughts?? It's the most expensive Mahenge I've seen yet in this size, so I hope it's more neon in person??
il_794xN.1937574065_4kby.jpg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately the trillion is no longer available, and I'm back to searching for "the one" :cry2: It was a bit of a frustrating experience, as I tried to ask the seller about return policy on this stone, because even if it looked stunning, I had to see it IRL to know for sure. Ultimately I think I became the second choice for selling it to due to my asking for a return policy, at least that's what I suspect happened. Oh well, back to the search.

Now I'm looking at Yvonne Raley's round Mahenge. Any thoughts?? It's the most expensive Mahenge I've seen yet in this size, so I hope it's more neon in person??
So sorry it didn’t work out with the trillion! I just found the above round on Yvonne’s page and she does says that it’s neon and it glows. She also mentions it has strong pink fluorescence.. The only thing that stood out to me was that she said it has notes of peach in indoor lighting. I would ask her for pictures of the stone showing the peach notes and see what you think about it before purchasing it. The good news with Yvonne is she has a return policy if you were to order it and it’s not what you are looking for.
ETA: I would also ask her if she plans to have a sale anytime soon :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks raspberry to me, not neon. I liked the trillion better, sorry you missed out on it

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
It looks raspberry to me, not neon. I liked the trillion better, sorry you missed out on it

@2Neezers Good point. I will ask her for indoor photos. She is offering me a 10% discount but it still seems like a lot, considering I've seen 20% sale in her store before. So much for trying to "save up" :lol:

@T L I know... I've been feeling pretty low since yesterday. :roll: But there's a better gem waiting for me out there!

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
So this is a bit off topic, but I have been seriously considering both Mahenges and Burmese spinels, since I want the pinkish red color and not the new stock hot pink Mahenges.

I found a vendor based in Hong Kong who's selling Jedi spinels. There's this 1.35ct cushion (5.9mm x 6.7mm), SI clarity that is described as stoplight pure red, neon color asking for $2,237 USD. She can include an AIGS report for $60 (discounted from $120 because of the HK gem show).

It'll be pretty sweet if it's really neon like shown in her photos, except there's a cavity in the pavilion near the girdle. Here are the pics! (Sorry for the pic overload... I can't figure out how to import her video)

IMG_5886.png IMG_5887.png IMG_5888.png IMG_5889.png IMG_5890.png IMG_5891.png IMG_5892.png IMG_5893.png IMG_5894.png IMG_5895.png

For payment, I have the option of buying from Etsy (10% extra) or just Paypal (4% extra). There's a two day return policy. So we're looking at $2,400 USD total for this spinel. I know from reading your past posts that spinel prices have doubled and tripled in the recent years... Do you think this is a good option?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My uneducated eyes tell me there’s more going on that just a cavity in the pavilion. It looks ‘crumbly’.
I’d need some serious 3rd party impartial assurance the stone can handle being set and has no durability issues so it can be worn.
But at least the vendor is giving acknowledgment to them in their photos.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice color on the Jedi if those are taken indoors, out of any sunlight. I would heed the caution on the inclusions.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It doesn't look crumbly to me per se. But I think it is going to be riddled with inclusions, with quite a few just below the surface. I wouldn't have been too worried about that, but there are some dark inclusions and obviously a surface reaching one that seem distracting.

Maybe it is just me but the surface looks a bit weird though, almost waxy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am concerned by the amount of inclusions.

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
The vendor reassured that the inclusions will not be problematic as long as I have an experienced bench to set it. So far the vendor has been transparent and very patient with my numerous questions, but honestly, I'm not comfortable with spending $2,400 USD on a gemstone that might have structural issues in the future.

I also reached out to another vendor on Instagram called HiGems. They showed me one that's just above 1ct, and significantly cheaper than the last option.

I can't tell that it's neon/jedi by looking at this indoor natural light photo. Vendor says there are no significant inclusions... whatever that means. Unfortunately they can't send me more pictures until after the HK gem show.

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 1.58.22 PM.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also may be clarity enhanced.

Is the above picture in artificial light?

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
It says "no enhanced treatment."
The picture was taken in indoor natural light. No retouching.
Vendor describes it as "vivid red spinel."

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
I had a good transaction with higems. The color IRL was very consistent with pics, and he/she was transparent throughout. Also let me pay over a 2 month period with no extra fees.

Thanks @2Neezers , these are very helpful threads!

@lovedogs Your ring/pendant is stunning!!!! :love: What a clever way to make a piece of jewelry versatile, and you must be so happy with how it turned out.

Did you specify that you wanted a Jedi Spinel with HiGems? And does your spinel have the neon glow? I've requested additional photos and am waiting impatiently, so I'll just admire yours for now. :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @2Neezers , these are very helpful threads!

@lovedogs Your ring/pendant is stunning!!!! :love: What a clever way to make a piece of jewelry versatile, and you must be so happy with how it turned out.

Did you specify that you wanted a Jedi Spinel with HiGems? And does your spinel have the neon glow? I've requested additional photos and am waiting impatiently, so I'll just admire yours for now. :lol:
yes, I specifically asked for one with a "jedi" color. But to make it affordable (ish, haha) I said I didn't mind inclusions. So mine has notable inclusions in it, but I genuinely don't care because the glow is so lovely!

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
yes, I specifically asked for one with a "jedi" color. But to make it affordable (ish, haha) I said I didn't mind inclusions. So mine has notable inclusions in it, but I genuinely don't care because the glow is so lovely!

Based on my research, Jedi and Mahenge spinel prices have jumped up so much in the recent years that perhaps getting a smaller gem with some inclusions is actually better for the money. From vendor videos, I've noticed the neon glow is so strong in some spinels that the inclusions are not as noticeable as they would in other gemstones. I'm guessing that's the case with your spinel :mrgreen2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on my research, Jedi and Mahenge spinel prices have jumped up so much in the recent years that perhaps getting a smaller gem with some inclusions is actually better for the money. From vendor videos, I've noticed the neon glow is so strong in some spinels that the inclusions are not as noticeable as they would in other gemstones. I'm guessing that's the case with your spinel :mrgreen2:
That's my guess! Or I'm just not sensitive. Probably a combo of both :)

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
The vendor shared more videos, but I'm only able to post one here because the others can't be saved on my device: Indoor Natural Light (click link)

Here are screen shots of the other two videos:
Indoor Artificial Light
IMG_6069.png IMG_6070.png
Outdoor Natural Light
IMG_6067.png IMG_6068.png

I have the option of having him/her send the stone directly to AIGS or AGL, or arrange it by myself after receiving the stone. It's refundable if the report comes back as treated within 6 months.

According to HiGems, the spinel has "some fissures and inclusions, but nothing serious."

So I'm seriously considering at this point. It's 5.7*5.8*4.6mm. 1.23ct at $1,380/ct. It'll be the most expensive gemstone I've purchased :shock: So I'd love your feedback if there's any reason that I shouldn't move forward with it :mrgreen2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely goes more orangey red in artificial light, but doesn’t brown out, so that’s good. I would send it to AGL because they’ll definitely test it for clarity enhancement. I’m not so sure AIGS will.

I like it better than any of the mahenges or other spinels you’ve posted thus far. It’s actually a primary red color!!!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the color on this one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results