shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge Spinel E-Ring

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! My search for a glowy Mahenge spinel finally concluded! I ended up selecting a 1.3 carat oval from Prima Gems. Natalie informed me that a parcel was coming in just for the HK show so I immediately made arrangements to fly over. In retrospect, I wished I had taken pictures of the parcel because it was just so cool to see little piles of spinels in front of you. Regrets, regrets.

Anyway, I was hoping to ask for advice in the setting. I was looking at Whiteflash and Victor Canera because ideally, I'd like a ring that is heirloom quality and they seem to fit the bill. However, I'd like to be very involved in the designing process and have read that VC may be a little impatient with too many requests. Does anyone else have any vendors they've worked with and enjoyed?

As for the setting itself, I'm thinking platinum with a floral diamond halo and a plain shank. I've always liked how those rings look like little flowers, and I think with a red gem in the center, it would look very nice. :) If anyone would like to share inspiration pictures, that would be much appreciated!

_2201.jpeg

_2202.jpeg

_2203.jpeg

_2204.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can recommend a few but it really depends in your budget, Erika grace is amazing, but will probably end up double what you want to spend.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful mahenge! :love:

I like the flower halos too.

I'm hoping to use this inspiration pic, for my own project, in the future.
image_4267.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone :love:, thanks for sharing, and I too second the LM setting.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a couple of flower ring designs that I like:

s-l500__48_.jpg
wm10145.jpg

DK :))

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding your engagement ring stone after a long search :) :appl: It looks gorgeous! Please post more photos, it would be great to see more close-up shots.

As far as I know, Whiteflash does not set colored stones purchased elsewhere, only customer diamonds. They could possibly make the empty setting and you could have it set locally.

A floral halo sounds gorgeous. Since it would be an engagement ring, I've suggested some more lower-key halos that would work for everyday wear. :razz:

What is your budget for the setting? Having a ballpark figure would help others to recommend more relevant setting designs for you.

images_26.jpg 15_bague_saphirs_et_diamants_1930_6_org_s.jpg 1-1_s.jpg images__1__1.jpg
so4108.jpg eng011.jpg so4028.jpg il_570xn_177.jpg il_570xn_176.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knowing the budget will help us recommend the right vendor. Whiteflash will no longer do custom settings for CS but may make an exception for prior customers. VC will cost and arm and a leg. ERD/Brilliantly Engaged can do an excellent CAD/cast custom setting that looks handforged. David Klass does excellent work at very affordable prices but communication can be spotty (you have to be patient and willing to call him).

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats on finding your stone! :D :appl: You must post more pictures, please, when you can. :naughty: What a cool story, too. Here are a few additional options that might be slightly out of the box. I've only worked with David Klass, but I've always been very happy with the craftsmanship and the final cost.

_36535.jpg

_36536.jpg

petals.jpg

wave.png

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on finding your center stone... she's a beauty. Here are my inspiration eye candy for you to consider.

il_271.jpg

il_272.jpg

il_273.jpg

il_274.jpg

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Here are the more modern ones.

il_275.jpg

il_276.jpg

il_277.jpg

il_278.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful spinel!!
Have you selected some inspiration rings yourself as well? It helps to determine your style. Personally I would keep it a more subdued flower design since it is your everyday e-ring. Do you like more modern designs, vintage designs or with an organic touch?

Victor is a very charming person and a breeze to work with. It will only work though if you do not micromanage him. The outcome will be stunning though. He is a designer with a strong aesthetic vision and if you love his work, you have to let go.
With David Klass you have more of a say in the design. He works with CAD drawings which will enable you to make all the tweaks you like.

_2268.jpeg

_2269.jpeg

_2270.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two flowery inspiration rings by Victor Canera:

By the way, especially with a flower design it will be good to have ideas on your wedding band beforehand. Especially since most designs will not allow for a flush fit look.

_2271.jpeg

_2272.jpeg

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the lovely suggestions everyone! I think I might go with the Leon Mege designs. I noticed that his halos look bezeled. Do you think that looks better than a exposed diamond halo? I'll include my inspiration pic as well.

My budget is 2-3k and my fiancé and I are feverently hoping it's enough. I really do love Victor Canera's work. I'm not particularly partial to the hand-forged look, and his rings come out looking just right to me. Unfortunately, I have a lot of requests (comfort fit band, tulip-shaped basket, raised center stone, and minimal prongs). I feel like if I told him that, he would either laugh in my face or tell me to get out of his shop haha. Whiteflash was another vendor I was considering because I felt like they both have that same "look" I was going for, but I see that they stopped doing custom settings for outside purchases. :cry: I also tried contacting DK, but they seemed to be so inundated with orders that I feel like it's going to take forever. :((

I'm trying to take better close up pictures, but I haven't bought a new camera yet and my old one is broken (more things I need to spend money on!) Tried to take more close up pics of the spinel, but they get blurry past a certain point, so this will have to do for now.

_2281.jpeg

_2282.jpeg

_2283.jpeg

_2284.jpeg

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Good point about the wedding band, Acinom! Unfortunately, the agreement I made with my fiancé is that if I get to have input on my E-ring, he gets to decide on the wedding band. I think I'll end up wearing my E-ring on my right hand and my wedding band on my left to prevent any clashing. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon's even touchier to work with so if you have specific requests, he's not someone I would feel comfortable working with. He is about as pricey as Victor Canera.

ScarletRpsdy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the heads up, Chrono! I think I'll just take inspiration from his rings instead haha.

S

SparkliesLuver

ScarletRpsdy said:
Thanks for the heads up, Chrono! I think I'll just take inspiration from his rings instead haha.

That'd be my advice. ;-) :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results