shape
carat
color
clarity

Made first ever stone purchase. Grey spinel. Need help!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Amistica|1402679712|3692463 said:
And not sure why videos didn't post, as well. May take me awhile, have a baby on my lap!

PS doesn't support videos.

+1 to Chrono's post

Amistica

Rough_Rock
Chrono,

So would you say that any antique cut, light stone will have tilt windows like this? Or is it just this particular cut? When placed in a platnum setting, would the windows seem less so because of the grey surrounding them?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amistica|1402681529|3692480 said:
Chrono,
So would you say that any antique cut, light stone will have tilt windows like this? Or is it just this particular cut? When placed in a platinum setting, would the windows seem less so because of the grey surrounding them?

It might seem less obvious but not by much. I would go with an antique cut that has more facets. I've seen some posted here before but it will take me a while to search for pictures.

ETA
It seems that I am lucky on Friday the 13th. After all, 13 is my father's favourite number.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3ct-gray-spinel-oec.195142/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3ct-gray-spinel-oec.195142/[/URL]
Note that it is a light coloured antique cut with a small table and chunky faceting but it still has far more facet than yours, hence less obvious tilt window. Also from the same vendor.

Amistica

Rough_Rock
Because of how huge the tilt windows are, I think it may be going back. I don't want this to bug more for the rest of my life, lol. But I also don't want to search forever for a stone, and I don't know how many stones I will come across that are cushion, 2 carat, and near colorless (I do enjoy the slight lilac silver sheen on this one, a lot. sigh). I still want antique cut, but you are right. More facets. ;(

Anyone want to throw out their opinions on the tilt window that I show in the last few pics? If you roll the stone around, it does that the whole way around. It's weird to me.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps you could get a stone custom cut for you. I don't have any experience in this and I don't know who does antique cushions. Maybe others know?

Edit-- ah, I just realized you aren't specifically looking for an antique cut. Sorry. In that case, even if you don't find one readily at an online vendor you'll probably be able to get one custom cut for you.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Sorry if someone has already suggested this, but you might also want to try contacting Jeff Davies... he has a facebook page, an eBay page and a Pinterest page - here's a link to Pinterest page http://www.pinterest.com/jefferydavies/. He seems to have quite a few spinels, and I know he just sold some smaller (5.5mm) round light grey ones.

ETA: Jeff's photos can often be hard to read, as can the videos... from what I've heard others say the stones often look darker in hand by a shade or two than they do online. However, he seems very responsive to email requests, and has a large inventory. :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
VirginiaZee|1402688719|3692559 said:
Sorry if someone has already suggested this, but you might also want to try contacting Jeff Davies... he has a facebook page, an eBay page and a Pinterest page - here's a link to Pinterest page http://www.pinterest.com/jefferydavies/. He seems to have quite a few spinels, and I know he just sold some smaller (5.5mm) round light grey ones.

ETA: Jeff's photos can often be hard to read, as can the videos... from what I've heard others say the stones often look darker in hand by a shade or two than they do online. However, he seems very responsive to email requests, and has a large inventory. :)
Yeah, or more. As I said in the past few pages, grays are just hard to photograph. With Jeff...it's worth asking for a "silver" spinel - but they are pretty rare and get snapped up fast.

I quite like the color of this one. I see what you mean about the tilt window, but once stones are set, you typically don't notice tilt windows. The thing is, every stone is going to have one, this one might just be more prominent than others. I'll attach a couple of pics of a tourmaline that is precision cut but that shows a tilt window in pictures I have of it.

img_0383.jpg

dscn0783.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid antique cuts like that, with large facets, are better for diamonds. They have a high refractive index and minimal tilt windows.

Freke's stone has a tilt window too, as all gems, even diamonds have them. However, her stone has lots of facets, and they're smaller, and the cut is better for the material, so the tilt windows aren't as noticeable or distracting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results