shape
carat
color
clarity

Made a purchase from JamesAllen but now I'm worried I made a bad choice

Sean373

Rough_Rock
When I started asking about ring advise it turns out most of my married friends just did the zales/kay thing. I really didn't know much besides the 4 c's when I started shopping nor did I get any decent advice besides "go big or go home". I decided to try online since I came across a rose gold setting I really liked from James Allen.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...d-diamond-filigree-engagement-ring-item-52710
11450_R_RND_Stg_480X380.jpg

I ended up with this stone just because it seemed nice and bright but after learning about HCA it turns out to only score a 2.4. very good light return, fire, and scintillation, but only good spread. I asked for a idealscope image yesterday but since the stone is overseas it will be a few days till I can see it. My original budget was 2500 and I was looking to stay around .7 to .8ct. I would like some advice on whether I should up my budget to 3500 and find something that might perform better or just stick with what I have. I know I could drop the color and clarity to get a bigger size but I have heard her compliment other peoples "sparkle factor" numerous times so I think she's definitely a quality over size kinda gal.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2678553
Shape: Round
carat weight: 0.70
color: H
clarity: VVS2
cut: Excellent
polish: Excellent
symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint
l/w/d (mm): 5.65*5.61*3.56
l/w ratio: 1.01
depth %: 63.20
girdle: Medium - Slightly Thick
table %: 55.00
culet: None
certificate: GIA
crown ∠: 36.50
crown %: 17.00
pavilion ∠: 40.60
Img.Stg_473X375.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that will be just fine - the reduction in spread is because of weight in the high crown rather than round the middle, as I understand it.

The benefits of the high crown and small table is that it should produce lots of 'fire', if I understand things correctly, which should look great! :)

Lower clarity should only affect 'sparkle factor' if a stone is very included or has a lot of 'clouds' on the grading report - there are plenty of people on here who would recommend stones down to SI2 if the inclusions are either easily hidden by a prong or hidden under the star facets rather than visible in the middle of the table! Me, I'm a bit of a clarity freak and wanted a stone that was very definitely 'mind clean', hence I also went for VVS2.

H is also a good bet because it should still face up icy white and only have a very slight tint from the side - and although tolerance of colour tint is perfectly fine and a personal thing, if you're getting the stone as a surprise, H is a safe bet :)

There are always other stones just a little bit extra money away - don't fall into 'scope creep' as that way lies a much bigger outlay than originally planned! lol

That said, I'm sure others will be along shortly to help you find alternative options that you might wish to consider ;-) I still think your original stone will look great, though, and I don't think the ASET should be too negatively affected by the high crown!

Last edited:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The clarity is overkill - you can sefely get a VS1 eye clean, most VS2, and a large number of SI1 as well. I have several SI1's and they're all eye clean. Clarity is expensive... if you drop down into the VS region you'll save a lot of money, you won't be paying for something you literally can't see, and clarity rarely (although sometimes) has an effect on the visual look of a stone.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, you have done the right thing to come here for advice.

The stone that you initially picked is very deep at 63.2, we usually recommend staying between 60-62.4.

I see some light leakage under the table and overall it is really not needed to go to VVS clarity. The cut is the only thing that matters when it comes to sparkle and performance. From the additional choices you posted only this one has potential, but again VVS clarity is not necessary and clarity is expensive:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3259891

Here is another suggestion:

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3273604

And I color will still be very white especially when set in rose gold.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is going to be pretty if you want to keep it, but there are other choices out there. So it is whatever you want to do.

Maybe wait and see it in person?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify, the stone color does not guarantee sparkle factor. the CUT is going to determine the sparkle and flashes of light. In terms of color, I should be just fine in that particular setting, face up a nicely cut stone will still look white and the side is not really visible. Look at the 3.50ct finished ring in rose gold, that's an L colored stone. The 1ct finished rose gold ring, that stone is an M! Now look at the .80ct finished ring in rose gold, that is a J colored stone. it is BEAUTIFUL and the rose gold really helps hide any tint seen from the side. That setting really hides the side of the stone, i think you could drop a bit in color very safely.

I really like this stone:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3189476 :love:
I also agree with another poster - if you set a budget, stick to it or very close to it. It's easy to get wrapped up in spending a little more, then a little more, for a little better or bigger, then a little better or bigger than that. Very slippery slope!

HANDS DOWN my favorite stone posted. those nice fat arrows!!!! :love::love:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sean373

Rough_Rock
The clarity is overkill - you can sefely get a VS1 eye clean, most VS2, and a large number of SI1 as well. I have several SI1's and they're all eye clean. Clarity is expensive... if you drop down into the VS region you'll save a lot of money, you won't be paying for something you literally can't see, and clarity rarely (although sometimes) has an effect on the visual look of a stone.

I know realistically its overkill, but we bought a loupe to go through her mothers old jewelry so I know she'll be taking a close look. She's also been through a lot of surgeries that have left her feeling "flawed" so I would like her stone to be as clean as possible.

Sean373

Rough_Rock
I really like this stone:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3189476 :love:
I also agree with another poster - if you set a budget, stick to it or very close to it. It's easy to get wrapped up in spending a little more, then a little more, for a little better or bigger, then a little better or bigger than that. Very slippery slope!

I'll add that one to the list, I was worried that I color would be noticeable against the since small stones are listed as f-g range.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know realistically its overkill, but we bought a loupe to go through her mothers old jewelry so I know she'll be taking a close look. She's also been through a lot of surgeries that have left her feeling "flawed" so I would like her stone to be as clean as possible.

Sean, this just hit me in the gut. Having been through a lot health-wise in the last 5 years, 2 surgeries resulting from it, i feel like a lesser version of myself sometimes so it really gave me the feels to read that. Your sentiments above are beautiful. :love:

Sean373

Rough_Rock

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I would be happy with one of these three I/If stones. I get the flawless sentiment, a color that should work out just fine for rose gold, and I'm comfortable being right around the 3k mark. Opinions on which one to pick?

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...-i-color-if-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3154146

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...-i-color-if-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2737863

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...-i-color-if-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2737974

Though it's not the classic angles recommended here (the crown is a little high) and its the smaller stone, i prefer the .76ct. i like the smaller table and puffy crown, it speaks to me! The .79 would be my second choice. What are your thoughts? i think all 3 are very nice. You can always ask for an idealscope on all 3?

About the setting, are you 100% on what she likes? I like it but it is very different and want to make sure you're getting something she will love.

Sean373

Rough_Rock
Went back and forth with someone at JA early this morning and decided to go with the .79ct. Since I'm not in a hurry they assured me it would be no big deal to return it if I wasn't happy with the ring when it arrives. The setting is a bit of a toss up. She loves rose gold and mentioned wanting something different so hopefully this is a winner!

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If she likes a vintage vibe, she will love the ring. And an added benefit of that setting is that it provides some added finger coverage without overwhelming the stone. please be sure to post pictures when it comes in!

Sean373

Rough_Rock
IMG_20170825_100055415.jpg IMG_20170825_100037790.jpg Well it finally arrived after some production delays, but I'm very happy with the ring. The stone looks wonderful and sparkles beautifully. Here's a few quick cell pics.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
oh its so beautiful! From what i can see, they did an awesome job on the prongs!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Best of luck with the proposal! Come back with hand shots please :)

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

1. You are amazing
2. The ring is wonderful (good luck with the proposal!)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20170825_100055415.jpg IMG_20170825_100037790.jpg Well it finally arrived after some production delays, but I'm very happy with the ring. The stone looks wonderful and sparkles beautifully. Here's a few quick cell pics.

Well worth the time, effort, search & wait!! It's gorgeous!! Please come back with hand shots, after your proposal!!!
:love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely! Good luck with the proposal (I think she will love it) and come back with lots of pictures!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, fantastic stone, OP... and what a gorgeous setting too! It looks so beautiful in rose gold! :love: Can't wait to read your follow-up after the proposal. Please take lots and lots of pics! =)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely! Its unique but in a nice way (slightly different from what most people go with). So what do you think of it? Is the diamond
a keeper?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results