shape
carat
color
clarity

Made a mistake, now trying to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tlinks

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I posted a few weeks back about a stone that I bought. Well after doing some more research I also realized I made a mistake. The stone wasn''t really what I wanted that the jeweler altered what they told me so it would fit the specifications of what I was looking for. I have up to 90 days to return and its only been 20 some. I figure this is a once in a lifetime thing and I know that my future bride to be would be estatic with whatever she got but I know I wouldn''t be happy if its less than I wanted orginally.

So now that I know what I do I am going to buy a stone from an online jeweler. www.jamesallen.com I would LOVE to hear from anyone about stones from here that they may have purchased. It seems like a great place with all their diamonds being GIA or AGS certified (I will be going with GIA). I will be able to get the perfect cut and carat size that I want so much easier and quicker than the mall jeweler. I paid almost 8,800 for a one carat diamond that I wasn''t happy with and I am going to be able to get a 1.25 carat with better color, cut , depth, table size and clarity for just 400 more. The jeweler in the malls will rip you off especially if you don''t know the full detail.

My questions
#1. I was wondering what you everyone thinks of www.jamesallen.com
#2. Is there anything I need to ask for when buying from them?
#3. Approximately how much is it going to be to get the diamond cleaned every 6 months?

Thanks again, for everything

Timm

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2006 5:56:26 PM
Author:tlinks

#1. I was wondering what you everyone thinks of www.jamesallen.com

#2. Is there anything I need to ask for when buying from them?

#3. Approximately how much is it going to be to get the diamond cleaned every 6 months?

1. JA has an excellent reputation around here. Feel free to buy with confidence.
2. Ask for as much info on the diamond as they can provide. Photos, IS images, H&A (if applicable), sarin, cert, etc. Ask them to eyeball the stone while you are on the phone, discussing (among other things) color and clarity.
3. Cleaned every 6 months?! Silly boy, dirty diamonds don't sparkle... you'll want to clean that baby every day! It is a good idea to take it somewhere to get it looked at (prongs checked, etc.) every 6 months, and a professional cleaning, too, no doubt thrown in... but (at least where I live) that's a free service offered by most jewelry stores.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tim,

Just to add to what Lynn said, I use a little jar of jewelry cleaner from Walmart to clean my rings every now and then. It has maybe been cleaned by a jeweler 5 or 6 times in the last 29 years! You can generally tell if a stone is loose, so I have never routinely had it checked either. The only reason one would really need to go with any regularity would be if you are getting a white gold that has to be rhodium plated or if you get platinum and want it polished. My yellow gold rings have stayed shiny and have never needed polishing. That''s why I am hoping to try palladium white gold the next time so as not to have to deal with polishing and rhodium! I am used to very little maintenance on my rings to keep them nice looking!

I think you have made a smart decision to buy online and get a better stone for the money.

esguy27

Shiny_Rock
Out of all the vendors on PS, you''ll hear the most good things about James Allen and Whiteflash. I shopped with both but ended up buying from WF simply because I found my perfect stone with them. JA was incredible helpful throughout the process and I wouldn''t have hesitated to buy from them had I found the right stone through them.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2006 6:12:04 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Tim,

Just to add to what Lynn said, I use a little jar of jewelry cleaner from Walmart to clean my rings every now and then. It has maybe been cleaned by a jeweler 5 or 6 times in the last 29 years! You can generally tell if a stone is loose, so I have never routinely had it checked either. The only reason one would really need to go with any regularity would be if you are getting a white gold that has to be rhodium plated or if you get platinum and want it polished. My yellow gold rings have stayed shiny and have never needed polishing. That''s why I am hoping to try palladium white gold the next time so as not to have to deal with polishing and rhodium! I am used to very little maintenance on my rings to keep them nice looking!

I think you have made a smart decision to buy online and get a better stone for the money.
I do have to disagree that the only time you need to regularily see a jeweler is if you need white gold dipped or platinum polished. I would never recommend to a new diamond owner that they do not really have to have their ring checked very often. Everyone should have their rings checked, minimum once a year. You can not always tell yourself if a prong has been bent.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Tim,

I disagree with this. If you care about your ring at all, it''s smart to have the prongs checked once or twice a year.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Tim,

Honestly, it''s best to get your ring checked every six months to make sure wear and tear isn''t endangering the stability of your ring. There is nothing worse than looking down at your hand and seeing an empty setting. Just the thought makes my stomach drop.

Does it sound like a good idea to never go to the dentist until your tooth hurts? Preventive maintenance is always cheaper.

And all the jewelry stores near me offer a free cleaning and check up whenever you want. So find a place you trust
1.gif

Also, James Allen is a fine choice. However, you don''t need to limit yourself only to GIA. GIA and AGS are both fantastic.

Good luck!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results