shape
carat
color
clarity

Macy''s jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, please don''t yell at me for asking this, since I''m a colored stone newbie: I saw a 14K white gold, oval cut blue topaz ring set in a pave halo with a pave shank. I''m planning to wait until their next sale before buying, because it''s always marked down 50%. And if I use my friend''s Macy''s card, it would be discounted another 10%.

So if the price (non-sale) is around $1200 for something that I estimate to be around 1.5 carats for the center stone, I have no idea about the ctw of the diamonds. So do you guys think that the sale price may be worth it? I tried the ring on, and it was gorgeous. I fell in love with it, but I can''t help but wonder whether I can find something similar for less.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, Cinderella; before I knew about online jewelry, I bought a pair of pearl studs at Macy''s, with the whole 50% off thing. My studs were about 80, and online they''re 50. I did get a really nice pair and I got to pick them out, and I did get a deal compared to B&M jewelers.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blue topaz, poorly cut, sells for about $10/ ct, a well cut about $20/ct. London Blue (the dark blue) a bit more.
So, your center stone is maybe a $25 stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The topaz doesn''t matter ... you are paying for the setting. So it should better be a nice one. However, I wonder how much attention to detail was spent on a $25 center stone? Some of these rings are extravagant cost-cutting exercises ... and having a retailer or designer label on the merchandise doesn''t always help
23.gif

I wouldn''t go near that, but... that doesn''t mean I am so cool about optimizing expenses when I happen to like the ''style'' of some worthless trinket myself
31.gif
All is fair in love and war, and this is about love!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I have a bezel set aquamarine WG ring from Macy''s that my BF gave me for Christmas a few years ago (I picked it out, though
20.gif
). It was 125.00 after 60% off. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would not have spent that even much for this ring, but I absolutely would not have paid their "full price." Don''t get me wrong...I like it and I wear it frequently, but the stone is terribly windowed and the setting does not seem well made (uneven milgrain, bad polish/finish). The tiny diamond accents are crap, too, but that really isn''t too noticeable.

Have you looked at the ring with a loupe?

I don''t mean to come off as negative, I just don''t want you to be disappointed.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
For reference, this is $150 at this interenet jeweler. I'm not promoting this seller as I have never purchased from them and I don't know anything about their quality. But this is a 8 ct. topaz in 14K WG and it is still much less than the one at Macy's. To be fair, the one at Macy's may have a higher diamond CTW, but the topaz is probably not any better cut than this one.

(edit to fix link)

topaz ice.JPG

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Macys.com actually has this listed for $1100, on sale for under $700, but it is listed as aquamarine. I''m pretty sure that aqua is usually more expensive than blue topaz. Are you sure the one you saw was topaz?

macys aqua halo ring1.JPG

nicky newark

Rough_Rock
You can take their 60%+extra 20%+ 10% for Macy''s charge card and you will still pay too much for what you are getting. Macys outsources their jewelry dept. to an outside company. They use commercial quality goods. Look at their sapphires, even with special lighting they look blackish. This is $5.00ct. material. Their diamonds are I clarity off color stones. Dont waste your money.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 4:06:41 PM
Author: fatafelice
Macys.com actually has this listed for $1100, on sale for under $700, but it is listed as aquamarine. I''m pretty sure that aqua is usually more expensive than blue topaz. Are you sure the one you saw was topaz?
I''m quite sure it was. The stone was darker than the aquamarine, but that is the exact setting that I was looking at. I also asked the saleslady what type of stone, and she said it was topaz.

No, I haven''t had the chance to look at the ring under a loupe, I was just window-shopping when I saw the ring.

With the advice given here, I think I''m passing on the ring. Back to looking. Thanks all!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
one thing to remember is that macy''s and ross simons stuff ends up at TJ maxx about 6 months later. can you bide your time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results