shape
carat
color
clarity

Lucky needs friends in doggy heaven soon...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
hi everyone... i have sad news. my parents have just decided that we will be putting our german shepard of 13 years to sleep this week... his spinal cord seems to be fused to the point that he is basically immobile and the meds that we tried are all not working... he is barely eating or drinking now and breathing heavily as if he is very tired. because he is about 100lbs we are can''t move him anymore because he isn''t even trying...

i will be making the hard call to the vet tomorrow morning to schedule the procedure. is there anything i should be aware of? what to mentally prepare my parents and i for? i really want to be there when he goes but i heard that there will be reflexes during the procedure... i am scared...

hopefully lucky will be at a more peaceful place with all the other happy pooches in doggie heaven.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Suki - I am so sorry to hear about your dog. Please know that you are doing the right thing. I have two dogs that have crossed the rainbow bridge that will glady befriend your pup. Lots of hugs, sweetie.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear that. I''ve been there, and I know how hard it can be. You''re doing the right thing. Much dust to you and your family.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry that you have to go through this. It''s difficult but so necessary sometimes. My hubb''s kitty of a gazillion years had to be "put down" last year because of a incurable ruptured tumor. We both cried and cried and cried. The vet cried with us too. Over the years I''ve had to do this a number of times and it''s been the same each time. They insert a needle, press the plunger then the animal just stops. Everything stops, they go limp and you realize that they''re no longer there. It makes me cry now to remember it. It all happens so fast. There''s been no unpleasantness other than having to do it.

All my animals will be up there waiting. There''s cats, dogs, rats, lizards, snakes, fish, a lifetime of pets that have been my friends.

{{{{{{{{huggs}}}}}}}

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i rest better being there with my pet. i feel guilty about the few i''ve had go and i wasn''t present. your pet will appreciate you being there. its humbling to be there in your pet''s hour of need. no matter how scared you are, think of how scared your pet is and how reassuring it will be for him for you to be there.

mz

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry about your beloved doggy
7.gif
, I would just be there with them when it is time for him to go.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m really sorry to hear that. In terms of being there, I always like to be there with mine. In terms of reflexes, normally they go very quickly-it''s essentially an overdose of anaesthetic. Very rarely we do get some that might groan a tiny bit or might move a tiny bit after their heart essentially stops but it''s just muscle twitches. What we do at our clinic is that if the owner wants to stay is that the nurse stands just behind the dog and holds the vein for the vet and the owner can stand at the front where the dog can see them and the owner can pet them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sending all my heavenly posse to meet your precious Lucky.
emrose.gif
Thoughts and prayers go out to you all.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Aww, I'm so sorry
7.gif
That's such an incredibly hard thing to go through.

I've been with pets as they were put down. In my experience, the vet anesthetizes them first (just falling asleep peacefully) which I was allowed to watch, then had me leave the room while she administered the meds that cause reflexes because she said it can be painful to watch (though the animal feels nothing). They will try to make it as easy for you as possible because they know how hard it is to lose pets, so don't worry about that.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement...

i have more sad news... my mom called me this morning and said that lucky passed last night at home. We are making arrangements right now to get him cremated and properly handled. I went through all the emotions this morning already and have come to the conclusion that he just could not take it anymore and wanted to go at home instead of a strange hospital. I just hope that he went peacefully last night... but I am worried that it wasn''t because his eyes were open, does that mean he suffered? My mom did not hear any strange noises from him last night. It makes me very sad to think that it was painful in any way...
39.gif

thank you again for asking all your pups in doggie heaven to be friends with him... i honestly feel that he will be happier now...

R.I.P. Lucky 1996-2009
emrose.gif
emdog.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
39.gif
I am so sorry that your doggie passed away last night. My family''s beagle did the same thing. We had the appointment made to have her put down and she died in her sleep that night. It is a really hard thing to deal with. I will keep you, your family and your beloved pet in my thoughts and prayers.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
thanks diamonddiva... you are always so quick in getting back to the posts. it is a great feeling to know that i am part of such a supportive community. i can't thank you all enough!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry.
39.gif
I know you will miss him a lot. Sounds like he went at the right time. HUGS.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Suki,

I am very sorry that Lucky has passed. You can take comfort in the fact that he is pain-free now. Focus your thoughts on the happy times you had with Lucky. Thirteen years is a good long life for a dog. I''m sure he knew how Lucky he was to have had you looking out for him.

Take care,
LV

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss
7.gif

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
i am so sorry for your loss. lucky will be missed i am sure.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry. It is so difficult to say goodbye to a beloved pet.

I want to echo MZ''s post about being there with your pet during the procedure. As hard as it may be for you, I think it''s really important for you to be there for him. Just think that the last thing he sees is his beloved people, and all the love you have for him.

Oh, sukii, I''m so sorry. I''ll be thinking of you guys.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 10:04:21 AM
Author: sukiisukii

i have more sad news... my mom called me this morning and said that lucky passed last night at home. We are making arrangements right now to get him cremated and properly handled. I went through all the emotions this morning already and have come to the conclusion that he just could not take it anymore and wanted to go at home instead of a strange hospital. I just hope that he went peacefully last night... but I am worried that it wasn''t because his eyes were open, does that mean he suffered? My mom did not hear any strange noises from him last night. It makes me very sad to think that it was painful in any way...
39.gif

thank you again for asking all your pups in doggie heaven to be friends with him... i honestly feel that he will be happier now...

R.I.P. Lucky 1996-2009
emrose.gif
emdog.gif

I am so sorry Suki

Awww sweetie, his eyes being open does not mean he sufferred. It could just depend on how he was positioned, gravity may just have made it seem scarier than it was for him. A family member of mine happens to be an absolutely wonderful handsome purebread German Shepard whom left us for Heaven years ago already and I''m sure by now he knows the ropes and will provide Lucky the best companionship possible. His name is Nolan and he was filled to the brim with love for others. I just know he will have found Lucky by now and you can rest knowing he''s in good paws.

I''m sorry you''re hurting. If there is anything any of us can do for you please let us know. Losing a family member is hard no matter how many feet they walk on or how much hair they have!!!

When the time is right for you, you should stop by the Furry Babies Thread, and if you''re up for it, you can post a picture in memory of Lucky. The thread is filled with wonderful people who love their furry babies and most of us have been through losses of furry family members, so if you want to just talk...we''ll be there...

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am very sorry. It must be so very sad.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
I have unfortunately had to put a lot of beloved animals down, and I have been there every time. I have never once had an experience where the animal did not just quietly fall asleep as I was holding and petting them.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear that lucky passed away. Sending hugs.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m so terribly sorry about this. I agree with the others about being there - it really is the kindest thing you can do for the animal, to help them feel safe and loved in their last moments. It is so incredibly difficult and heartbreaking, but it really is the kindest thing you can do for your pet.

HUGE HUGS and good thoughts to you and your family at this incredibly difficult time.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2009 10:04:21 AM
Author: sukiisukii

i have more sad news... my mom called me this morning and said that lucky passed last night at home. We are making arrangements right now to get him cremated and properly handled. I went through all the emotions this morning already and have come to the conclusion that he just could not take it anymore and wanted to go at home instead of a strange hospital. I just hope that he went peacefully last night... but I am worried that it wasn't because his eyes were open, does that mean he suffered? My mom did not hear any strange noises from him last night. It makes me very sad to think that it was painful in any way...
39.gif

R.I.P. Lucky 1996-2009
emrose.gif
emdog.gif
No not at all, in my experience whether they pass naturally or are PTS they usually leave with their eyes open. I am so sorry for your loss, but please don't think he suffered because his eyes were open - I am sure he didn't sweetheart.

tarepanda

Rough_Rock
^I am sure this is the case as well... I am so sorry. BIG HUGS to you.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Awwww....the poor sweet baby. It''s certainly a very rough thing to go through, my thoughts are with you and your family during this tough time though.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
thanks everyone for taking the time to respond and for the encouragement. we are doing okay and realize that ultimately Lucky had it his way and passed in his home on his own time so we count it as a blessing. i will definitely find the time and post in the furry babies link in memory of our dear Lucky
emdog.gif

thank you again everyone *hugs*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results