shape
carat
color
clarity

Lucida ESQUE engagement ring SAGA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Hello forum. I last posted to this site in August with questions regarding engagement ring. I did get engaged on August 12 to the most wonderful man and we have since planned our May wedding in Playa del Carmen, Mexico! So what is wrong with this picture? The ring. Unfortunately, I am the kind of person who makes a decision after much contemplation, yet then questions the decision
7.gif
(which drives my fiancee crazy). It was very difficult for me to decide on a ring. For the sake of background info let''s just say that my "dream ring" has always been an emerald cut diamond in a platinum setting with a baguette on each side. My fiancee doesn''t like the emerald cut because of the lack of faceting so that was out.I, too, wanted a ring with a lot more "fire", but couldn''t make a decision to save my life. Then, he found the Tiffany Lucida bezel set ring on line and we went to see it in person. The ring was absolutely stunning and so very unique (I am not traditional) and the one ring that I did really like. Tiffany''s 1.13 carat was priced somewhere around $16,000.We knew that we wanted a diamond bigger than that, but Tiffany''s price tag for that would have been on the you-could-buy-a-house-with-this-money side. Since I happen to have a relationship with a jeweler we sought their help and they found us the most beautiful Cut-Cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliant diamond. Then they had their ring maker create the wax mold which was CLOSE to the Tiffany ring and the next thing you know my fiancee had the finished product and proposed!The surprise and elation of getting engaged was the focus for sure. Then,after the exitement died down my fiancee and I realized we were not happy with the custom setting. I am apologizing in advance for my crude analogy of this scenario, but this is how I try to explain it.Picture the craftsman carving a ring out of play-doh freehad versus using a cookie cutter.The cookie cut version is what I was expecting.We got the freehand version. We told our jewelers of our feelings and the ring went back to the "guy" for some fine tuning. It came back so-so. Our jewelers said "wear it a while and see if you can live with it". Well, I tried that and I made myself and my fiancee CRAZY. He spent way too much dinero on this ring to be unsatisfied. Tiffany''s does not sell their settings. We know the actual ring "craftsman" thinks the ring is PERFECT, but our jewelers want us to be happy and are willing to do so. Along this storyline is a connection to an individual who does jewelry repairs for Tiffany & Co. and he might have the skinny on how to come up with a better setting. Now that I have put ya''ll to sleep with this story, does anyone have any suggestions? Help. Please.

Shopgirl

I feel like a dork for asking this simple question - but here goes...

Have you been able to find another designer (like Vache or another) who makes a ring that''s similar to the Tiffany style you like? I''m guessing that you''ve already been down this road, but perhaps your jeweler could order one of those settings? I wish I had a better idea...

www.Whiteflash.com
and Gold Old Gold are good places to look.

Sorry about your experience. I can understand why this is so important - this is no pocket change AND you''ll be wearing for the rest of your life.

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply. I know I got a bit carried away in my saga. Yes, I/we have looked for another designer/setting. That is what brought me to post on the forum today. I looked back at old posts and someone mentioned Linda Penwarden and I did just check out her site. She does custom work and she does have a ring that surely looks a lot like mine. But, what I am doing now is re-questioning the whole thing....maybe I should get a totally different setting....maybe I should get a different stone and ring altogether. I know I probably sound like some materialistic, spoiled, freak- that is what I am thinking of myself- but I just don''t know what to do. My fiancee is supportive, but I think his feelings will be hurt if I suggest a totally different ring. I am waiting for someone to post & blast me with " just be happy with what you have " or something like that. Am I being awful?????

Patty

Ideal_Rock
The Vatche X-Prong is $1155 at SuperbCert (Excel Diamonds). Are you willing to get a new setting all together?
625_large.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There may be a quick explanation for this: the crossed prongs of the Lucida are not meant to be cast but fabricated. Either version has it looks... and price, but the difference shows particularly harsh on those crossed wires, IMO
11.gif
Casting the model is no easier than sculpting the braids of a basket - something quite hard by any standard even in larger scale than a ring.

"Cut corner rectangular" what not is a radiant by definition Is this what the stone is ? The Lucida cut is close to another, less rarefied brand called "Lucere". Around Pricescope, Good Old Gold sells these (LINK) Have you tried those out ?

Of course, no idea how the ring actually looks - nothing says that what is bad for you wouldn't be just great IMO
2.gif
Does it look like one of these: page with several generic lucida style rings ?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Why would you get a new diamond? You said that your jeweler got you a beautiful diamond. What is it that you are unhappy with...just the setting or the stone too?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
You are not being a brat--this ring is special and expensive--you should be happy with it. Also, I think you told your story in a clear and rational manner without unnecessarily bashing the jeweler. You should have what makes you happy and the question is how to get it!
1.gif

I am also confused by the stone comment--If you truly love the stone, keep it--it''s hard to find great fancies. Are you thinking of trading in the stone becasue you feel the setting you wanted only works with that shape and therefore, you should scrap it altogether? I know Tiffany''s designs are beautiful and often, unique, but there are so many--thousands, literally--of settings out there in the universe--it may take some more detective work but I must believe you could find one you like.
1.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 10:41
6.gif
6 PM
Author: Shopgirlk
Thank you for your reply. I know I got a bit carried away in my saga. Yes, I/we have looked for another designer/setting. That is what brought me to post on the forum today. I looked back at old posts and someone mentioned Linda Penwarden and I did just check out her site. She does custom work and she does have a ring that surely looks a lot like mine. But, what I am doing now is re-questioning the whole thing....maybe I should get a totally different setting....maybe I should get a different stone and ring altogether. I know I probably sound like some materialistic, spoiled, freak- that is what I am thinking of myself- but I just don''t know what to do. My fiancee is supportive, but I think his feelings will be hurt if I suggest a totally different ring. I am waiting for someone to post & blast me with '' just be happy with what you have '' or something like that. Am I being awful?????

Nah, you''re not awful. It''s easy to get worked up about the e-ring and how it needs to be the most perfect thing ever (too much hype and pressure, I say). I sent my first custom e-ring back to be remade because we were both unhappy with the workmanship. I''m now on e-ring #2 and contemplating what to do with it (this time the workmanship is lovely, but for no apparent reason they slightly changed the design). But step back for a sec and think about whether you really love your stone and design. Did you just pick it because there was nothing else you liked better, or do you genuinely like it and enjoy seeing it on your hand?

At this point I wouldn''t question the whole thing (although last night when fi was mad about the whole ring scenario I offered to return the rock and the setting in lieu of an engagement kitten
1.gif
). I agree that might hurt your fiance''s feelings since he probably put a lot of thought and effort into getting you the perfect ring.

I think most people aiming for the Lucida look put a square diamond (Hearts on Fire Dream and Lucere come to mind) in the Vatche X-prong. I too started out liking Lucida but ultimately went for an asscher in a basket setting with split prongs. PSers all hate Tiffany, but if genuine Lucida is the only thing that''s going to make you happy I think you should go for it. Either save up for awhile longer and get the size you want, or settle for a smaller one and revel in its Tiffany perfection (i.e. not some poor imitation).

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want to derail this thread but I don''t think we all "hate" Tiff''s. I just think the mindset here tends to be that for your money, you can get a top-of-the-line diamond that''s either bigger or better color/clarity than at Tiffany''s. In other words, the mark-up for the brand name isn''t worth it.

Now when it comes to their custom settings, there is a bit more wiggle room... Some of the simple settings are easily duplicated by a skilled craftsman but some are difficult to reproduce exactly. I think sciencegeek raises a very valid point in terms of thinking about whether you will ever be truly happy with a "knock off"... perhaps the better way to go is to save and get the Tiffany--there is nothing wrong with this if it will make you happy.

They''ve got consumers in a bind becasue they will not sell their settings w/o a center diamond. Ahhh, marketing. Gotta love it.
2.gif
1.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 11:17:44 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
I don''t want to derail this thread but I don''t think we all ''hate'' Tiff''s. I just think the mindset here tends to be that for your money, you can get a top-of-the-line diamond that''s either bigger or better color/clarity than at Tiffany''s. In other words, the mark-up for the brand name isn''t worth it.

True, I shouldn''t have exaggerated
1.gif
Most people here wouldn''t go there for an e-ring, but many have shared a fondness for the less expensive designs. And I think this particular case is an exception to the brand-name-not-worth-it rule because whereas the classic Tiffany solitaire does not have a unique stone or setting, the Lucida has a branded cut and setting. No imitation will ever be exactly the same, whereas with an ideal cut RB with a high quality Tiffany-style setting very few people would be able to tell the difference between the original and the imitation. I''ve seen many an X-prong around, but I''ve never seen the cut-cornered square bezel.

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Sister PSers....
Thank you ALL for your replies. I am going to try to answer/reply to all the replies posted. Here goes.... The diamond IS a beauty. A rare gem. No pun intended. However, like one of you suggested,it was selected to go with the Lucida bezel setting and I am not sure how it will look in a different setting. That is why I started thinking about a new stone altogether which would make my family, my jewelers, and most importantly my FI, think I was a total freak. Unlike the setting for the original Lucida, the bezel setting has been IMPOSSIBLE to find- that is why we had it custom made. I am totally computer illiterate, but I am going to try to post the PIC here for you all. I would totally FORGO a rock in lieu of an engagement Weimaraner puppy, OH MY GOSH would I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, I am going to try to post the PIC-yikes. OK, NOT successful. For all you adventurous souls, goto TiffanyandCo.com. Click on rings- engagement rings-collection Lucida- then bezel set. Thar she blows.

Should be sleeping in Chicago,
ShopgirlK
27.gif

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Yes it is the radiant. It is quite gorgeous.

Kelli

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
I think I have copied the pic. Here goes.

engagement_lucida_bezel1_sm.jpg

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Wow. I can''t believe I figured it out. This is PROGRESS for me people! Here is another view.

engagement_lucida_bezel2_sm.jpg

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
And here is the final pic. This might be too big and not copy here. Forgive me if I did this one wrong :)

engagement_lucida_bezel.jpg

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Oops. Now that I have mastered how to upload the pics I have posted too many. Sorry gang. I think I am going to call it a night. I am tired and hungry and now the FI is not happy with me
7.gif
Nite-nite and thanks.

engagement_lucida_bezel2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... the Lucida bezel is another story. How did I miss that part ? Not sure why it turned into nightmare, but haven''t seen any attempts to duplicate the design as is.
One custom ring comes close - although it is not solitaire and the bezels are different from the side. However, this one looks good to me, perhaps this seller has the winning recipe for your ring too. The bezel needs to be made for each and every stone (hence no off the rack possible), but once they did it a few times, the next time around it can only be a safer bet.

Here''s the thing:

13230b.JPG
13230d.JPG

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
now that is gorgeous--is that Tiffany ?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you need to be happy with your purchase, no doubt. if that means another setting, or even another rock, do what it takes. i''m the same way, i wouldn''t want to look at my ring and be just okay with it, i want to be pleased.
i wish i could photoshop. we could see what that stone would look like in some other settings.

****could someone out there with photoshop please help??****

just out of curiosity, do you have a pic of your ring for us to see?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Lord have mercy!! I just checked out Morrell''s stuff bcz I was reading today''s posts that talked about his latest stuff. His work is INCREDIBLE. I think he is the man for the job. I am going to his website to find out how to work with him. Thank you SO MUCH for your help! :)

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is Tiffany. And actually that is what my ring looks like. Except mine has squiggles instead of straight platinum curves and is actually not the same width on the sides of the ring. I thought I was going mad thinking my ring was really imperfect until my sister got honest with me. Now I have been crazy trying to deal with this.

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Belle, thanks for your offer to help. I have NO CLUE how to do anything with computers although I did post the pics of my ring. That is the actual Tiffany pic, but that is what my ring looks like for the most part. I did get FI a digital camera for Christmas, but I''ll be damned as to know how to use it let alone then get the pics on here!!! Yikes....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t think mark is taking on new clients..........
but, if you do get him, wow, you better show some pics!!!!

Hi again, Shopgirl:

You are TOO cute. (In a good way.) Your posts crack me up.

And I''m ALL for the e-kittens and puppies, Ladies. I worked in an animal shelter for ten years, and I have eleven paws to prove it. (Two cats and a three-legged Golden Retreiver.) But I digress...

Please promise us and yourself that you will end up with the ring you really want. As one of the other kind posters said, maybe that will mean saving for a while? Or maybe it will mean that you start over with a different stone, or a different jeweler. Your fiance sounds really understanding, and I bet he wants you to get what you want too!!!!

While I can understand any of us feeling a little guilty about being concerned about a ring, this isn''t just any ring. You''ll enjoy the ring for the rest of your life -- you''ll likely have many cars, jobs, careers and so on during that time -- but the ring you love will be with you to whole time! And when you consider that this ring is a constant reminder of how much you and your fiance love one another, the emotional part of this is important too.

So...please be good to yourself, and don''t worry about what the jeweler and others think. You and your fiance are what matter most here.

Besides, anyone who loves dogs is okay in my book.
36.gif
Smiles, Mary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results