shape
carat
color
clarity

lucida cut diamonds, not from Tiffany

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

calisurf

Rough_Rock
Got a question here for the diamond gurus.

What do you think about diamonds that are cut by the Lucida cutters(?) made available to vendors outside of Tiffany?

I have run into 2 separate jewelers who have told me they have these available, without Tiffany''s price, and little blue box.

One said he can get them, and one already had some in stock. ( I have seen them)
And they look legit to my amateur eyes. They had the two step crown and what appeared to be a brilliant pavillion.

Has anyone here had any experience with these stones? Does Tiffany have their own cutters? If so, how would they let these out, since it seems Tiffany is so secretive and protective of their patented cut.

Any information or thought is appreciated. Thanks in advance. This board is great.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As far as I know the cut is patented and if these guys are doing it it is against the law if they are copying the design. There is another cut called the Lucere who's cut is similar to that of the Lucida but not exact. I'd have it appraised by a pro who has seen the Lucida so a comparison can be drawn to see if these guys are for real or not. If the cut is still patented then they're probably blowin smoke up your pipes. If not then it may be possible.

Rhino

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
The Lucida has two patents plus a trademark, and all are still in force. There are three possibilities, any of which are going to get those vendors in trouble:

1) the stones are true Lucidas being sold outside the Tiffany pipeline, in which case someone is going to get sued for breach of contract and unfair competiton.

2) the stones are exact copies, in which case the patents are being violated and a lawsuit for patent infringment is certain.

3) the stones are close knockoffs being sold as Lucidas in which case the trademark is being violated and a lawsuit for trademark infringement is highly likely.

IOW, it sounds like you're dealing with some sleazy knock-off artists here; if they would rip off Tiffany, they'll rip you off too. Do yourself a favor and go shop somewhere else.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just love having LawGem around. Where else could you get info like this?!?!

Cute eye too.

13.gif
9.gif

calisurf

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rhino, Lawgem, for your thoughts.

I have been looking at Lucere's as well, and I think the Lucere's have a three step crown instead of a two. It definately does seem shady. Thanks for the input.

I'll heed your warnings and go somewhere else. Thanks.

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
Lawgem, I have a question. Is it ok to tell a jeweller that you want him or her to custom make you a Lucida setting or does that go against the patent/copyright? Just curious. Thanks!

-spencer

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
If the design is protected, no, they're not supposed to make you an exact copy, which is not to say some jewelers won't do it anyway. But something close is probably all right. Just how close they can come depends on how Tiffany is protecting the design; there are differing standards whether you're talking about patent, copyright, or trademark.

My advice would be to try to come up with some original design that is perhaps at best inspired by the Tiffany setting. That way you don't have to worry about infringement, and your fiancee gets something distinctive instead of a knock-off.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results