shape
carat
color
clarity

Lower gold?

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys! I'm a loooong time lurker, but was too timid to ever post.
I did learn tons from said lurking though :)

Back story to my question:
My mother has a obsession of 24k gold (she's Korean and that's typical)
I LOVED her necklace so when I left Korea, she snuck it into my bag along with a teary letter.
However the issue is the pendant... Has a Buddhist symbol but people (for some reason) think its the Nazi symbol
Not so cool.

I have a 9.1mm 2.85 carat peridot that I'd like to be made in a pendant but gold prices are really high.
Could I make this with 18k or would it wear away my necklace? I know the silver/gold and gold/plat but how about 24 to 18?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Kelinas and welcome to PS. :wavey:
I am familiar with the older Buddhist symbol which has "legs" or "wings" going in the opposite direction of the swastika symbol. I wear a 24k necklace 24/7 with a 24k pendant so that both are of equal softness and would take a longer time to rub each other away.
I think you can get away with an 18k pendant. Yes, it will wear away your necklace but you will not see the effect for many many years.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say that I'm also familiar with that Buddhist symbol. The Nazi's had to ruin everything.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Well the funny part about this is that the symbol if relatively tiny, so when someone rudely comments on it, I just ask them why they were staring at my chest. :D that usually diffuses the situation but it just sucks that I can't wear it out.

Almost all of my jewelry has a history to them, my wedding band was my grandmothers and I have a aquamarine ring from my great aunt plus more. This necklace was made the day I was born and gifted to my mother from a fellow temple goer/ her best friend. There is a decent amount of wear&tear on the pendant already (but the chain is holding up like a champ...minus the very odd closure on it)

_5182.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful necklace and pendant. What does the character on it mean?

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
It's either faith or life.... I think.
My mother told me once when I was younger but I don't remember exactly.
I just loved the buttery bright yellow of the necklace ;-)

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
That is a beautiful necklace and pendant. Don't let a few people who are ignorant of culture and history make you feel awkward. The buddhists had this symbol long before the nazis.
It is so sweet that your mum snuck it into your bag, especially with the letter. Aww! Mums are the best. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results