shape
carat
color
clarity

Lower girdle facet length: 76 vs 78

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
ASSUMING all other factors are EXACTLY the same (or as close to exactly the same as can be), which do you prefer: 76 LGF or 78 LGF? What do you like about the preference?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think it's difficult to answer without additional information. Longer and shorter LGF's lend themselves different to different proportions. If the stones are both ideally cut, then I tend to prefer shorter LGF's because I think that offer more bold fire flash as opposed to longer with a more splintery display. And I like a bolder arrow pattern. I'm guessing though that you are probably unlikely to be able to visually distinguish between a 76 and 78. The differences would be much more obvious if you were contemplating a 75 and 85. Do you have links to the two stones?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1371253650|3466128 said:
I think it's difficult to answer without additional information. Longer and shorter LGF's lend themselves different to different proportions. If the stones are both ideally cut, then I tend to prefer shorter LGF's because I think that offer more bold fire flash as opposed to longer with a more splintery display. And I like a bolder arrow pattern. I'm guessing though that you are probably unlikely to be able to visually distinguish between a 76 and 78. The differences would be much more obvious if you were contemplating a 75 and 85. Do you have links to the two stones?

That's what I was thinking. I like 75 over 80, so I'd pick the number closer to 75 than 80. But I would want to see the stones.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes--PLEASE help me decide. Its killing me. Particularly take a look at the symmetry of these and let me know which is MORE perfect. Is there slight yawing in the BG diamond toward the "culet"? There is a little extra cleavage in the CBI hearts.
I know this is parsing things. Also, the BG diamond is VS1, whereas the CBI diamond is SI1.
http://highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity-new&id=943
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.843-j-vs1-round-diamond-ags-c-104064610058

I really love CBI as a company and BG is a legend. FWIW, the BG diamond is a few hundred cheaper in this instance. Sometimes BG is more expensive.
Which would you choose and why?
Would love to make a decision by mid day tomorrow!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pick the BG one. Cheaper with better clarity.

But if one has a setting you prefer I might let that be the deciding factor.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Any comments on the symmetry or other predicted performance differences of either diamond? I mean, there is a reason why BG cut all their signature line at just about 76 and CBI cuts almost all their diamonds at 78 LGF. That's why I asked about others impressions for these differences.
Essentially, otherwise they're pretty identical. The only ## difference in the facets is that the crown of BG's is slightly less steep. Maybe it makes it slightly less firey and a bit brighter, canceling out any effect the different LGF's might have. These are just conjectures based on readings here.

If one diamond is, in fact, more symmetrical than the other, something that my untrained eye really can't decide, then I'd be inclined to go with the more symmetrical one. That's why I want h&a, after all.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of these stones are top of the line h&a cut. You cannot go wrong with either. They will be spectacular.

The lgf of the GB is smaller which I like but its also cheaper and better clarity. You'll need to look at those things to make your decision because both stones will perform well and are cut to super high standards.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
teobdl|1371266719|3466287 said:
Any comments on the symmetry or other predicted performance differences of either diamond? I mean, there is a reason why BG cut all their signature line at just about 76 and CBI cuts almost all their diamonds at 78 LGF. That's why I asked about others impressions for these differences.
Essentially, otherwise they're pretty identical. The only ## difference in the facets is that the crown of BG's is slightly less steep. Maybe it makes it slightly less firey and a bit brighter, canceling out any effect the different LGF's might have. These are just conjectures based on readings here.

If one diamond is, in fact, more symmetrical than the other, something that my untrained eye really can't decide, then I'd be inclined to go with the more symmetrical one. That's why I want h&a, after all.

When I spoke with BG he said he prefers a slightly chunkier look, and since all his stones are cut to his specs, I'm guessing they tend towards the 75 end, which is also my preference.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
bastetcat|1371271961|3466315 said:
teobdl|1371266719|3466287 said:

When I spoke with BG he said he prefers a slightly chunkier look, and since all his stones are cut to his specs, I'm guessing they tend towards the 75 end, which is also my preference.

I like a chunkier look too so I would go with the 76.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! And for my own knowledge and interest, can anyone discuss particular demerits of each of these (mostly perfect) hearts?

darkadam

Rough_Rock
This I what I think from my reading so far. Shorter lower girdle facet might result in more contrast and thus a better look in normal lighting environments (depending on your preference), but may have less fire and scintillation in spot light environment. But in this case, the difference will probably not be visible as the difference might be too minor.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
The two stones are so similar in all aspects that I'm truly not sure that you will see any real world differences. If you are interested in learning more about minor facets and how they impact performance of stones, you might find this article helpful...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/content.php?c=98

I read another recently, but can't seem to locate it again, but I'll look around some and try to find it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results