shape
carat
color
clarity

Lower color grades of diamonds - how to price out?

mitsitsad

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I took a trip to some local Jewelers today - very helpful and very honest and reputable in the area
They showed me some stones that were quite beautiful and I was really surprised at the color based on their GIA rating

After looking at about 10 diamonds, all certification origins etc, I picked the following 2:

GIA
2.55 carat
Q to R range
VS2
Very Good
Strong Blue Fl.

I liked that stone the best - according to the jeweler the strong florescence makes the diamond appear whiter in natural light , but then there was another diamond of near exact quality (according to my eyes and the jeweler)

No Cert.
2.57 carat
? but very close to above
Faint to No Fl.

Upon doing some research both on here and other diamond selling sites, I can't find stones in the Q to R range to give me a gauge on prices. The asking price was within $1000 between the 2 diamonds, which I find to be ridiculous because of the missing certification, but if I can get a better deal and their superb guarantee I would certainly be comfortable purchasing that one. Any input? I'm hoping to buy this weekend, but time is not a pressing issue.

Cheers!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Would the vendor be willing to send the 2.57 to GIA and have it graded? Or agree to let you return it for a full refund if you purchase it and send it to GIA yourself and aren't happy with the results?
Is the 2.57 an old cut, like an OEC etc. I can't imagine, if not, why the vendor wouldn't have a grading report for such a size of stone, it makes no sense unless he's hiding something.

pkanawha

Rough_Rock
You seem to prefer the first stone. I'd say that's the main thing. The GIA certification is the second reason I'd say to go with that one. It’s valuable in its own right. More importantly, it ensures you don’t buy a treated stone or something of that sort. Of course a comparison would be good if both were GIA graded and you & the seller were willing to have this done. Maybe the dealer would split the cost with you since it would help make it more salable even if you don't buy it. Barring that, I’d say to go with number one, hands down. However, I would advise you to look at it in a variety of lights: direct sunlight, indirect sunlight, fluorescent, incandescent, etc. Take your time and don’t rush it! Let us know what you decide and please post pics. Good luck!

mitsitsad

Rough_Rock
pkanawha|1310079913|2964199 said:
You seem to prefer the first stone. I'd say that's the main thing. The GIA certification is the second reason I'd say to go with that one. It’s valuable in its own right. More importantly, it ensures you don’t buy a treated stone or something of that sort. Of course a comparison would be good if both were GIA graded and you & the seller were willing to have this done. Maybe the dealer would split the cost with you since it would help make it more salable even if you don't buy it. Barring that, I’d say to go with number one, hands down. However, I would advise you to look at it in a variety of lights: direct sunlight, indirect sunlight, fluorescent, incandescent, etc. Take your time and don’t rush it! Let us know what you decide and please post pics. Good luck!

Thanks for the good advice - the seller allowed me to take it outside, look at it in every different light, etc.

I do prefer the first one, but it's a little out of my price range - the jeweler agreed that if I really wanted the uncertified diamond we could send it out, and I am sure he could guarantee the quality within a grade mark or two. However, my thought is that the missing certification will give me leverage to get a better deal. I have no problem purchasing the diamond, taking it to an appraiser for accuracy, and sending it out/paying GIA to certify the stone. I am just wondering where I should start my bargaining with the price. Both stones were so close in looks (besides under fluorescent lighting) that we both agreed they would make a perfect earing set.

so what do u think I should pay on either to say "wow I got a great deal!"

thanks for the help thus far

mitsitsad

Rough_Rock
bump - any other opinions?

pkanawha

Rough_Rock
Now I'm not sure I understand. Are you considering buying two of them for a pair of earrings? I'd thought you were picking out only one, maybe for a ring. If you want a matched pair it seems like something of a no brainer - buy them both. It’s hard to get a matched pair from two different places, or even from one. Also, you seem to have a lot of trust in him. The fact that he's willing to let you look at the diamonds under different lights, to send the other diamond out for grading, etc. would tend to make me think he's a good dealer. By the way, you can afford to be less picky about a diamond used in an earring than in one used in a diamond ring. Therefore an appraisal wouldn’t be as important. Earrings are subject to much less stress, so you needn’t be so concerned about a flaw that might make it subject to breakage. Earrings may or may not be worn, but many of us will always want to wear our favorite rings. And we only see our own earrings when we look in the mirror, but if we’re obsessive (and most of us on this site are!) we could spend hours staring at the diamonds in our rings. So you’ll want to be careful to get the best diamond within your price range for a ring; less so for earrings.
Now I'm realizing that I'd possibly missed something else that’s relevant. There's a $1,000 price difference, presumably because one is certified - but how great is that relative to the total cost? If the diamonds were $10,000 each, I wouldn't think much of it. If they were $1,000 each I'd agree that the price differential is ridiculous.

mitsitsad

Rough_Rock
pkanawha|1310152225|2964888 said:
Now I'm not sure I understand. Are you considering buying two of them for a pair of earrings? I'd thought you were picking out only one, maybe for a ring. If you want a matched pair it seems like something of a no brainer - buy them both. It’s hard to get a matched pair from two different places, or even from one. Also, you seem to have a lot of trust in him. The fact that he's willing to let you look at the diamonds under different lights, to send the other diamond out for grading, etc. would tend to make me think he's a good dealer. By the way, you can afford to be less picky about a diamond used in an earring than in one used in a diamond ring. Therefore an appraisal wouldn’t be as important. Earrings are subject to much less stress, so you needn’t be so concerned about a flaw that might make it subject to breakage. Earrings may or may not be worn, but many of us will always want to wear our favorite rings. And we only see our own earrings when we look in the mirror, but if we’re obsessive (and most of us on this site are!) we could spend hours staring at the diamonds in our rings. So you’ll want to be careful to get the best diamond within your price range for a ring; less so for earrings.
Now I'm realizing that I'd possibly missed something else that’s relevant. There's a $1,000 price difference, presumably because one is certified - but how great is that relative to the total cost? If the diamonds were $10,000 each, I wouldn't think much of it. If they were $1,000 each I'd agree that the price differential is ridiculous.

You completely misunderstood - I need one diamond for an engagement ring - the only mention of earings was to demonstrate that the GIA and uncertified diamond were extremely close in quality to one another

mitsitsad

Rough_Rock
bump...please help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results