shape
carat
color
clarity

Low HCA (0.4) - Are these proportions okay?

ringette

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm looking at this Hearts and Arrows diamond online, I was wondering if the proportions might make it appear dark in person. In particular, I'm wondering if the pavilion angle is too low:
.75.JPG

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on how well cut this is, I would prefer to use a diamond with these proportions in a pendant or earrings rather than a ring.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's a true h&a from a super ideal vendor (WF, BGD, victor canera, etc) then HCA isnt needed because these stones are precision cut and vetted in house.

ringette

Rough_Rock
If it's a true h&a from a super ideal vendor (WF, BGD, victor canera, etc) then HCA isnt needed because these stones are precision cut and vetted in house.

It has an IGI report that says it's a H&A. Are the IGI reports accurate with the H&A designation?

ringette

Rough_Rock
Depending on how well cut this is, I would prefer to use a diamond with these proportions in a pendant or earrings rather than a ring.

Why?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any pictures or videos of the stone that you can give us a link to?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lately it seems everyone has a “hearts & arrow” stone. While the possibility exists, the devil is truly in the details. It’s less about getting heart shapes and more about perfect symmetrical balance. Below is an example showing some of the nuances of detecting a true H&A stone.

13_Pass-vs-Fail-Hearts.jpg

ringette

Rough_Rock
Here is a the link:

I'm actually considering this one more now:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a the link:

There is a lab grown sub forum on PS. You might want to post your question there particularly if you are looking for an alternative to these two stones.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a the link:

I like that J colored one. I know a lot of people don't like tint to their stone and that stone does have a faint brown tint to it (which is a tint that I prefer vs the yellow tint most people like). The H colored stone looks less tinted but I feel like I see a blue nuance to it that I don't like as much as the brownish tint of the J colored stone.

ringette

Rough_Rock
I like that J colored one. I know a lot of people don't like tint to their stone and that stone does have a faint brown tint to it (which is a tint that I prefer vs the yellow tint most people like). The H colored stone looks less tinted but I feel like I see a blue nuance to it that I don't like as much as the brownish tint of the J colored stone.

Thank you! Do you think the angles are worse on the J colored stone though - would it have less brilliance and fire?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
THey both fall into the H&A proportion range from what I can tell. The J stone has a smaller table and steeper crown which I like and which usually lends to more fire

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread definitely needs to be moved to the lab forum. I think that .73 may have blue nuance. They're pretty good at
spotting it on that forum.

I'm going to request that it be moved.

Here is the lab forum if you want to go over there and start learning what to look out for...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good eyes @musicloveranthony. The IGI report does indicate there is indeed a blue tint on the H stone.

That said, I prefer it to the J. That is my personal preference but I tend to like higher colors overall, except in old cuts and a few special conditions.

Putting personal preference aside, I would think both the brown tinted and blue tinted stones would trade at lower market values because they are abnormal to yellow tinted stones. This isn’t necessarily good or bad so long as you are aware and market prices are reflective of those conditions.

Another concern I have with the J is the pavilion angle. It’s complimentary but hinging on too shallow at 40.5. You don’t want the actuals (as opposed to averaged data shown on lab reports) to drop below 40.4. There is a possibility that may have occurred as not all 8 pavilions will be exactly 40.5. Some will be higher and lower. No way of knowing without a scan and detailed Sarine report. Or more simply an ASET or idealscope image to see if anything wonky is going on.

It’s important to remember that H&A focuses on symmetry which helps “fine tune” performance. It doesn’t guarantee amazing light performance without the other areas checking out although they do often go hand in hand.

7A2FDE28-7491-4439-9FB3-5AE2DAAC7B66.jpeg

ringette

Rough_Rock
Good eyes @musicloveranthony. The IGI report does indicate there is indeed a blue tint on the H stone.

That said, I prefer it to the J. That is my personal preference but I tend to like higher colors overall, except in old cuts and a few special conditions.

Putting personal preference aside, I would think both the brown tinted and blue tinted stones would trade at lower market values because they are abnormal to yellow tinted stones. This isn’t necessarily good or bad so long as you are aware and market prices are reflective of those conditions.

Another concern I have with the J is the pavilion angle. It’s complimentary but hinging on too shallow at 40.5. You don’t want the actuals (as opposed to averaged data shown on lab reports) to drop below 40.4. There is a possibility that may have occurred as not all 8 pavilions will be exactly 40.5. Some will be higher and lower. No way of knowing without a scan and detailed Sarine report. Or more simply an ASET or idealscope image to see if anything wonky is going on.

It’s important to remember that H&A focuses on symmetry which helps “fine tune” performance. It doesn’t guarantee amazing light performance without the other areas checking out although they do often go hand in hand.

7A2FDE28-7491-4439-9FB3-5AE2DAAC7B66.jpeg

Thanks so much for your feedback! Do you have any suggestions for other stones with super ideal proportions at the sub-$850 price range?

I'm planning on setting the ring in a yellow gold ring (although I think it comes with white gold prongs), does that make a difference to the tints?

I started a new thread to keep the topic on point: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...deal-0-75-1ct-round-lgd-for-under-850.278336/

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for your feedback! Do you have any suggestions for other stones with super ideal proportions at the sub-$850 price range?

I'm planning on setting the ring in a yellow gold ring (although I think it comes with white gold prongs), does that make a difference to the tints?

I started a new thread to keep the topic on point: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...deal-0-75-1ct-round-lgd-for-under-850.278336/

I commented on your other post with a couple suggestions that would blow these stones out of the water!! :D

I actually almost bought both of them recently just to have in my collection if i ever needed them. There were 3 around the same size and specs. I ended up only buying 1 and it's gorgeous!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Well, you have about 4600 options to scour through for HPHT D-F VS2+ 0.75+ for $850 and under:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience the IGI reports show the hearts and arrows images, but it doesnt mean it's actually cut to strict h&a proportions.

I just saw an IGI diamond that had the following in the Comments section of the report:

Comments: HEARTS & ARROWS This Laboratory Grown Diamond was created by Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) growth process and may include post-growth treatment. Type IIa

So is this IGI saying it is H & A?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw an IGI diamond that had the following in the Comments section of the report:

Comments: HEARTS & ARROWS This Laboratory Grown Diamond was created by Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) growth process and may include post-growth treatment. Type IIa

So is this IGI saying it is H & A?

This is IGI claiming that it's H&A, but we would have to verify with actual H&A images.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results