shape
carat
color
clarity

Low colour in different lighting

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Hi
We are going to buy a diamond in the next few weeks so I am trying to gather as much information as possible! Due to budget we are going to be limited to lower colour diamonds - I think H, I and J. We will look at the diamonds in as many different lighting situations as possible but probably this will be limited to the store and outside (who knows whether it will be overcase or sunny on the day!). Which situation will show the most body colour? Will a cloudy overcast day show more colour than a sunny day? Will you see body colour if you hold the diamond under the desk? What is your best advice to make sure you get a diamond that has a colour that is acceptable to you?
Many thanks

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The larger the source of light, like outside on a cloudy day, the more you'll see body color.
The smaller, more pointed and brighter the light source, sun, halogen lights in a black ceiling, the more colored flashes of fire will prevent you from seeing body color.

Flashy jewelry store lights will conceal body color.

Looking into the side will show more body color than looking into the top.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Buy it from a place with a good no-hassle return policy and take it in as many different light conditions as possible in that time.

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that. I guess if it is sunny the best thing to do is to find a place in the shade to look at it - providing we are let out of the door in the first place!! I hadn't thought of the return policy thing either in terms of the colour, I will make sure we can do this and look in as many lighting as possible. Which lighting will really show up body colour the most?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Outsside on a completely overcast day set it facedown on a very white background and look through the side of the stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If your goal is to assess diamonds in a situation as close to what you will see in everyday, then I suggest setting the diamond on your hand in the crease between your fingers and walking about that way. Look at the stones side by side, but also look at them on their own. The goal is NOT to see "How much tint can I possible see??" but to determine what is pleaseing you your eye. This is best determined looking at stones one at a time in my opinion, because having a stone next to a higher color (e.g. H and J together) will of course make one look more tinted! On its own, though, the J may be wuite pleasing to your eye.

I find looking at it next to a window with natural light coming through is a great way to assess color. Look at the tilt angles which show more color. And then go with what you like!

Make sure the comparison diamonds have the same cut quality, too, as this affects color perception face up.

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice. I don't think I'll mind a bit of warmth but I am keen for it not to look yellow. I have looked at H and I so far and been happy with both - I don't think I'm very colour sensitive. Fingers crossed for a cloudy day!
Dreamer, what are the tilt angles?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamonddream said:
Thank you for the advice. I don't think I'll mind a bit of warmth but I am keen for it not to look yellow. I have looked at H and I so far and been happy with both - I don't think I'm very colour sensitive. Fingers crossed for a cloudy day!
Dreamer, what are the tilt angles?

I own a 1.7ct J color. It is warmer than an H, but not yellow at all. I like it a lot. The white is just softer than more colorless stones.

"til angles" means look at it from the side, or tilt your hand a little to show a little of the top and side at the same time. You see more color from the sides so it is good to look at that angle too, since when you wear the ring most often you see your diamond from the slight tilted angle (not straight looking from the top or straight looking from the side, but midway... make sense?)

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thank you, that does make sense! I have seen pictures of your ring and think it is amazingly beautiful! Before pricescope I would never have considered going below a G, or a VS2 for that matter - I am so glad I found this site before buying!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamonddream said:
Thank you, that does make sense! I have seen pictures of your ring and think it is amazingly beautiful! Before pricescope I would never have considered going below a G, or a VS2 for that matter - I am so glad I found this site before buying!

Thank you! I love my diamond a lot. I actually do like a little hint of warmth in my diamonds, but no yellow or brown tint. My vendor and I both think it is a "high J" closer to an I color, so if you are judging by my pictures just keep that in mind. There is tremendous value in J color stones and when very well cut, I think they look very white and gorgeous to all but the most discerning people. If you do not have a lot of diamond saavy and pre-conceived notions about color, and if you do not have a social circle who knows anything about diamonds (or do have such a circle and don't care 8) ) then I really think J color stones can be a great great option!

What size diamond are you considering? I suggest looking for GIA Ex cut or AGS0 cut grades to maximize the life and sparkle in your diamond.

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
I am looking for about a 1.20ct and I will definately be putting cut at the top of my list. I will also only be looking at GIA and AGS. I think I am right in saying that shallower diamonds show less colour than the deeper cuts so maybe that would be a better option too. Out of interest is your diamond on the shallower end of the ideal scale? I don't think I am really bothered too much what other people think and my circle of friends really know very little about diamonds anyway!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D said:
If your goal is to assess diamonds in a situation as close to what you will see in everyday, then I suggest setting the diamond on your hand in the crease between your fingers and walking about that way. Look at the stones side by side, but also look at them on their own. The goal is NOT to see "How much tint can I possible see??" but to determine what is pleaseing you your eye. This is best determined looking at stones one at a time in my opinion, because having a stone next to a higher color (e.g. H and J together) will of course make one look more tinted! On its own, though, the J may be wuite pleasing to your eye.

I find looking at it next to a window with natural light coming through is a great way to assess color. Look at the tilt angles which show more color. And then go with what you like!

Make sure the comparison diamonds have the same cut quality, too, as this affects color perception face up.

A big ditto to all of this.

I have a J - it's a "mid" J, and visibly tinted.

I also have a loose E, and I often compare them - and I have found that I honestly, truly prefer the J. The slight warmth gives the stone a flattering, inviting appeal on my skin that the icy E just can't match, and I chose a setting to complement the colour - and I'm glad I did :))

It can be hard to focus on what we like and ignore what we're supposed to like, but it's well worth the effort ::)

ETA: shallower diamonds will show less colour, yes - less layers of tinted material to see through. Whether the difference is visible or not depends on the amount of difference and your sensitivity to colour

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thank you Yssie, I think it was you that told me about shallow stones showing less colour!! Do you have a link to your J colour, I am not sure I have seen it?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamonddream said:
Thank you Yssie, I think it was you that told me about shallow stones showing less colour!! Do you have a link to your J colour, I am not sure I have seen it?

Put your sunglasses on, her ring will blow you away!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thank you, that is amazing, what a beautiful ring!! I love the unplated gold too, I will be putting mine into a temporary setting until I have decided what is best but that is something I should look into some more!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny said:
The larger the source of light, like outside on a cloudy day, the more you'll see body color.
The smaller, more pointed and brighter the light source, sun, halogen lights in a black ceiling, the more colored flashes of fire will prevent you from seeing body color.

Flashy jewelry store lights will conceal body color.

Looking into the side will show more body color than looking into the top.

Kenny, you may be right when talking about a stone with a lower cut-quality, but it is the other way around in a well-cut diamond.

Diffuse lighting conditions like a cloudy day will make a well-cut diamond seem whiter, because of the brightness of the stone. That is when such a stone will look two or more colour-grades better than one expects.

In a low-light environment however, you will see that stone's true body-colour. Under a desk would be a great example. Still, a well-cut diamond will show less colour than a badly cut one, even in these conditions.

Live long,

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thank you, that is interesting, I will certainly look at it under the desk in the store then.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results