shape
carat
color
clarity

Low Carb Portable Breakfasts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I have lots of restrictions here!

I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), and I understand that low carb diets can really help with this issue...soooo, although I''m not ready to dive in headfirst quite yet, I noticed in tracking my food intake (though it doesn''t exactly take a brainiac to realize it) that a good number of my carbs are morning-carbs...

my issue is that I wait until I get to the office to eat breakfast, so egg whites are sort of out of the question (I have about a 45-minute commute in the morning, and heating up eggs in a microwave sounds kinda nasty to me--though I do usually have egg whites with lots of veggies on the weekends)...

I do bring lowfat cottage cheese around 3x/week, but I''m gettin a little tired of that. I mostly have high-fiber cereal for breakfast, or health nut bread with natural peanut butter, but that''s all so high in carbs...so I was wondering if anyone had ideas for during the week--portable breakfast foods that are high in protein, low in carbs, and pretty low in calories, since I am trying to keep my calorie intake on the lower side these days.

any help would be muuuucho appreciated
35.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t like em but my old trainer swore by hard boiled eggs. He would boil a whole dozen every few days and grab a few on the way out the door.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
ah yes, that is something I''ll try...I just love to eat so much, and I feel like I''ll never be excited enough to eat a hardboiled egg for breakfast! my nutrition buddy tells me that we''re not eating for taste, we''re eating for health...but damn. I really like tastin things!!
18.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You can make them into deviled eggs. A little bit of mayo plus things like mustard, pickle relish, fresh chives, hot sauce, chili powder.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love hard boiled eggs :)

But if eggs aren''t your thing, you can try breakfast smoothies (low fat vanilla yogurt, banana, ice, etc) which you can make a batch of, and then poor into a thermos in the mornings. Or you can do a portable soup for breakfast (campbell sells them if you don''t want to make them). Or you can make quiche, and take slices for breakfast (although if you don''t like to reheat eggs, then you probably don''t want to reheat a quiche either, lol).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Protein.

I love hard boiled eggs. Also, a fried bacon and egg sandwich (fry the organic/free range super lean bacon/chicken/turkey first then the egg--sticks less) is filling. Use one piece of bread--just stack your protein between it. I also advocate the 6-10% Liberte yougert, or plain Astro Balkan style 6%, with organic honey and add organic frozen rasp or blubs or whatever. Left over pizza--scrap the toppings off/eat and toss the carb. Honestly I need/eat anything high in protein for breakfast--chicken or steak or egg burrito's; or quesadilla: it carrys me a long time (and you can carry it with you..).

cheers--Sharon

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
First-carbs in the morning aren''t bad. It''s probably better to eat them in the morning than later in the afternoon/evening. I find low carb breakfasts don''t always keep me going until lunch time. I really need fiber. Some of my favorite things are:

Crustless mini spinach quiche (recipe from the PS healthy recipe thread)--These heat up pretty well in the microwave. I make them in regular-sized muffin tins and have 2 for breakfast.

Joseph''s Omega-3 wraps (Lots of fiber in these) with 1T natural peanut butter wrapped around a medium banana

Whole wheat (or multi-grain) english muffin with egg and low fat cheese (fried eggs are quick to make and you don''t need to use oil if you make them in a non-stick pan)

OATMEAL!! -love oatmeal, it''s another pretty quick breakfast, just stay away from the packet kind, there''s lots of sugar, salt, and fat in those...

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
I boil a dozen eggs once a week or so. I have to admit that just eating a hardboiled egg does get boring but I have mixed it up as egg salad and made a "breakfast" sandwich with whole wheat pitas or tortillas. Those pack very easily. I also peel and slice the eggs, place them in a bowl with some flax seeds and olive oil and heat them in the microwave for 15 seconds or so after I get to the office. Not quite like a fresh medium cooked egg but combined with a slice of high fiber toast and some fresh fruit, it is an easy breakfast to pack for work.

I also work with a nutritionist and she asks why we "have" to have breakfast at breakfast? She says to switch it up and have dinner leftovers for breakfast when we don''t have time and have breakfast at night when we do have time.

She is also a big fan of egg bakes or quiche on a Sunday and wrap up slices to carry to work Monday - Friday.

I have to admit that it is hard to think outside of the box for breakfast.

Julie

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered a protein shake? I have one that is like 120 calories, 1.5g fat, 3g carbs, 1g sugar, and 24g protein. Tastes delicious but then again I eat and drink all kinds of crazy health food things that probably taste miserable to others. I just blend with water and off I go.

I also do green superfood powders with (supergreens, greenfoods, etc) that I''ll mix with lots of ice and water and a 60cal yogurt in the blender. Smells a bit like seaweed... just being honest, but it''s completely palatable to me.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
South Beach egg fritattas - I''m guessing they''re similar to the recipe Hudson posted, but I love those things - you basically make up a bunch in a muffin tin, freeze ''em, and then pop ''em in the microwave for b-fast.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I never really thought about what I eat in the morning, but if I am on the go I usually get plain yogurt and load it up with sliced fruits and berries and toss either some granola/bran/ or flaxseed meal for some additional fiber. The fiber keeps me full for a long time so I don't snack.

Is it the simple or complex carbohydrates or both that you are trying to avoid?

You could make a vegetable frittata and freeze or refrigerate it and then heat it up in the microwave. You can also make muffins or breads from flaxseed meal or almond flour. You could also make a protein shake/smoothie using tofu or buy some "low carb protein powder" to add to the shake/smoothie.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Save dinner from last night and re-heat it in the morning. I do this all the time and it''s a great way to get some protein in and you can have breakfast for a different meal. Nothing wrong with switching it up once and a while and it''s super easy to take your rubbermaid from dinner last night on the go!

I find with low-carb breakfasts I can get bored of eggs, so this is a great way to switch it up.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 1:47:04 PM
Author: Elmorton
South Beach egg fritattas - I''m guessing they''re similar to the recipe Hudson posted, but I love those things - you basically make up a bunch in a muffin tin, freeze ''em, and then pop ''em in the microwave for b-fast.

So I made these earlier this week in my non-stick muffin tins and let me tell you, non stick my a$$! I''m still trying to scrape the egg off of them! Last night I made a full frittata version and lined the pan with nonstick tinfoil. It worked much better.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
HB EGGS!!! If you eat just the white part it is only 17 calories... just a little FYI....
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 5:28:37 PM
Author: tlh
HB EGGS!!! If you eat just the white part it is only 17 calories... just a little FYI....
35.gif

Wow good to know! Thanks!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I always start my day with a frozen fruit shake filled with super healthy fruit filled with antioxidants. That way, even if I slip up during the day, I know I''ve got a couple servings of fruit checked off for the day! Most of the ingredients can be found at a regular grocery store (Target for cheap frozen fruit!) and others can be found at health food stores or Whole Foods. (Acai, wheat grass, goji berries.)

Here''s what I use everyday:

frozen wheat grass
frozen goji berries
frozen raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, peaches, pineapple, cherries - or any combination thereof.
fresh kiwi
fresh banana

juice of half of a fresh lemon
1/3 cup organic vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup acai juice
1/2 cup orange juice

If fresh berries are on sale we use those, but otherwise frozen are perfect! Throw it all in the blender on ice setting until smooth. Then on regular blend for about a minute or two. If too thick still, add a bit more of any of the liquids. VOILA! A super health antioxidant full breakfast. It surprisingly keeps me full too, but sometimes I add a piece of cheese or toast with cream cheese. Adding fat helps your body absorb the nutrients.

Give it a whirl!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results