shape
carat
color
clarity

lovely 2.5 carat OEC!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I was downtown today I stopped in an "estate jewelry" place and asked if they had any OMC or OEC stones and he said he did but he couldn''t sell it yet and it was huge so I begged to look and it was a 2.5 VS K-L OEC in a plat setting with side bags or something and it was GORGEOUS!! I''d guess it had no bigger than a 50% table but not the highest crown out there - maybe 15-17%? Guessing - it''s shorter than mine which is 20 but taller than most rounds by a little. and it had gorgeous patterning in it!! Just a beautiful stone. So I asked him how much he would get for it and he said not much, probably going to recut it and I was like NOOOOOOOO don''t do that and he said he couldn''t get anything for it and I said what are you asking and he said 10-12k and I was like holy moly.... even if it is a K or L (which it looked to me like an I - whiter than my GIA J) for a 2.5 carat OEC only 10k?? with a ring??? I wish I had the money to plop down... this guy has no idea what he has - in fact he kept calling it an old mine cut and I tried to correct him but he had no freaking clue what he had - my friend and I shook our heads all the way home thinking this guy is supposed to be clued in on estate pieces and yet here I am little nobody off the street and know more about the diff between an OEC and and OMC than he does!! God I hope he doesn''t recut that....
39.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I just HATE stories like this...I suspect they aren''t too uncommon...

Maybe you should organize a protest rally...picket the shop with "Save That Diamond" slogans. etc.....I''d join!
1.gif

widget

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
ACK! It sounds like a beauty. I hope he doesn''t recut it either...what a waste!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!

Too late for me to buy it. No money now.

Can someone rescue it?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a shame. Can you take a picture and post it here? Please?
12.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Too bad. Wish I had the money, I would buy it in a sec.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
What is OEC?

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
OK, as is often the case, I searched and found the answer.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 10:48:55 PM
Author: Skippy123
Wow, what a shame. Can you take a picture and post it here? Please?
12.gif
If I go back downtown I''ll take my camera - he said he can''t sell it for 30 days (I''m assuming like a pawn or escrow thing). I told him I knew people who would love to have a real OEC that size and he said he''d love to see it... I think it''s such a waste in his hands. Heck, if I had the money I''d probably buy it and resell it at a small proft LOL

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thats the reason you cant find these stones around...
People like him that dont know what they have in their hands went an recut most of the antique stones in the last 50 years or so...

The hight quality material was the first to be recut...

Thats why most of the antique cuts you see on the markets today are of lower quality goods.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
What a pity !! I love OEC and their chunky broad flashes ! Please could you post pics
3.gif
? I really hope that you can convince the ignorant fellow to change his mind !!

It is unbelievable that somebody supposed to do business in vintage and antiques wants to recut an old stone to new standards...gosh, it is like wanting to transform Louis XV''s furniture into stark contemporary design !!
14.gif

Beeweaver

Shiny_Rock
I''m new here. But, I am very interested in these cuts. What are they and where can I see them?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2007 7:12:33 AM
Author: ayala_jessica
What a pity !! I love OEC and their chunky broad flashes ! Please could you post pics
3.gif

It is unbelievable that somebody supposed to do business in vintage and antiques wants to recut an old stone to new standards...gosh, it is like wanting to transform Louis XV''s furniture into stark contemporary design !!
14.gif
Not ignorant...

Just doesnt have the knowledge or the market to work these items....
thats where a knowable ps consumer can have an opportunity to pick up a cool deal... (depending on the condition and quality!!!)

I even know big-game diamond dealers today who would re-cut these gems whitout a second thought....

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2007 9:04:40 AM
Author: Beeweaver
I''m new here. But, I am very interested in these cuts. What are they and where can I see them?
Here is an image of a 3 carat K-L Old-Euro Cut

OEC3CARAT.JPG

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 9:21:15 AM
Author: DiaGem

3.gif

14.gif
Not ignorant...

Just doesnt have the knowledge or the market to work these items....
thats where a knowable ps consumer can have an opportunity to pick up a cool deal... (depending on the condition and quality!!!)

I even know big-game diamond dealers today who would re-cut these gems whitout a second thought....
Yes that is a significant good side
2.gif
It is the same with brocantes where you can find beautiful things and the vendor doesn''t have a clue about their value...However it is rarer and rarer these days...

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
BTW I have a friend who inherited a OEC set in a ring from her mother in Belgium...I don''t know the exact ct size but it is at least 2ct+ I think..Anyway looks HUGE ! the quality of the diamond seems absolutely wonderful...

She keeps her ring in the bank safe most of the time but when she wears the ring next time I see her I''ll ask to take pics to share with you OEC lovers
1.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2007 10:38:56 AM
2.gif
It is the same with brocantes where you can find beautiful things and the vendor doesn''t have a clue about their value...However it is rarer and rarer these days...
Very true, and....., the secret is to know when to grab things like that when they come accross once in a blue moon!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
3.gif

14.gif
unfortunately the only thing I thinkthat would change his mind is 10 grand.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 10:44:32 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 2/9/2007 10:38:56 AM
2.gif
Very true, and....., the secret is to know when to grab things like that when they come accross once in a blue moon!
Tell me I don''t wish I had a spare 10k sitting around to buy this stone!!! I''ll try to get back there for pics - I''ll tell him I might have someone interested in buying but they live in (insert random state here) and won''t consider it without some photos LOL!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey,
yes pretty pretty pretty please take a picture. I don''t have 10 grand but it soounds sooooo beautiful!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
The truth is that an OEC is not a common taste, and usually sold to those who are particularly into estate stones. The cut is closest to the modern round brilliant, but the level of precise cutting nowadays makes the crown and pavillion angles optimal for greater brilliance usuallly. Most people want sparkle, so a modern cut appeals to them, generally. This person clearly feels that the color would be less noticeable perhaps if recut in a modern style, or perhaps the stone itself requires a bit of recutting. Maybe there is abraiding on the stone, or slight chips that would be tough to sell with. Also, you can't get a favorable GIA cert on a stone with chips, so if buyers are more likely to buy diamonds with GIA reports, they may need to repolish or recut to get it recertified, and perhaps during the process they can recut for brilliance. Sometimes the recut can be a minimal loss of weight depending on how good the polisher is.

I have seen VS1 and VS2 feathers polished out without dropping a stone's carat range. It can be done. Lots of things to consider, but in the end, I know many cut nuts out there would disagree, but nothing matches the look and feel of pieces that have been created in another time and era, where jewlery was a luxury and crafted by people painstakingly with care and creativity. They have history and character and a totally different look and feel. Nowadays many things are processed and prefabbed, so to me an originally set OEC is such a fabulous find...

What town is the jeweler in? That could have something to do with their reason for recutting.

FYI: Anyone in the Florida area? Palm Beach antique and collector's show is this next week...besides art and china, there will be amazing pieces of jewelery. If anyone goes, please report back what you find!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Cehra, I assume it wasn''t Sol''s place you stopped by...if no one here buys it, maybe you could refer the guy to Sol so we can rest assured the diamond has a chance of making it intact!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 11:19:03 PM
Author: Nicrez

FYI: Anyone in the Florida area? Palm Beach antique and collector''s show is this next week...besides art and china, there will be amazing pieces of jewelery. If anyone goes, please report back what you find!

I''m going!!!
3.gif
I''ll definitely report back!

widget

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I hate these stories...

7.gif

Poor pretty lil stone!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 3:11:37 PM
Author: Vix
Cehra, I assume it wasn''t Sol''s place you stopped by...if no one here buys it, maybe you could refer the guy to Sol so we can rest assured the diamond has a chance of making it intact!
No, it was not sol''s place.... but that''s a good idea! They''re not far from one another.... this place was close to the pawn shop and that oldest restaurant in portland place that I forget the name - hagar? haber?

BTW I went to the pawn shop to try to see that SUPER intensely fluorescent stone again but it was gone
7.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
39.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 3:59:49 PM
Author: KittenKat
I hate these stories...

7.gif

Poor pretty lil stone!
I know! and 2.5 carats!! ugh... what would a 2.5 k/l VS round brilliant go for? Um, assuming it didn''t lose any weight in a recut?

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Another downtown place that might buy it off him (and turn it around for a nice profit, I bet!) would be Maloy''s : http://www.maloys.com/

LONG LIVE THE OEC

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 4:00:11 PM
Author: Vix
Another downtown place that might buy it off him (and turn it around for a nice profit, I bet!) would be Maloy''s : http://www.maloys.com/

LONG LIVE THE OEC
ooh I''ll have to check that place out!! thanks vix - btw which direction from downtown portland do you live in? I''m west a couple towns.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results