shape
carat
color
clarity

Love my Tahitian strand but...................

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone =)
As some may have seen my Tahitian strand I received for Xmas , something that bother me a little.
The strand was purchased from Pearl Paradise as a near round strand AAA. From the pic, the pearl on the right side from the middle pearl is more of a drop shape.
I called PP they said the strand come as is that they purchased it like that, that the farmers made that strand so therefore it's a near round pearl. But if it was sold individually it would be considered a drop shape.
If I wanted to replace that pearl by a more near round that I would have to pay the difference. To me it's noticeable because it's one of the biggest one and it's on the bottom , middle part.
Would you guy keep it the way it is or do you think it distract from the rest of the pearls on the strand? 26692442_2011379472220419_1185585544_o.jpg 26655336_2011385595553140_506127384_o.jpg
Thanks for you opinions and suggestions =)
26655389_2011406108884422_292776027_o.jpg

Last edited:

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
Here's another pic 26655389_2011406108884422_292776027_o.jpg

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If it bothers you then I would have the pearl replaced or removed.

I have sent two necklaces back to PP to have pearls replaces. Both times I thought the pearls should never have been included on the strand because their quality was inferior to the other pearls.

I was much happier with the necklaces after I made the changes.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope PP can solve the problem.

-

Random thought: it would be nice if the sides of the center pearl were matched drops - inot unlike having pear shaped diamonds siding a round ... I see this in some natural strands.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock

I have sent two necklaces back to PP to have pearls replaces. Both times I thought the pearls should never have been included on the strand because their quality was inferior to the other pearls.

Yes, I thought about removing just that one pearl, if I do they would have to remove two little ones on th on the other side near the clasp to evenly balance the strand or removing one on the other closest to its size. Probable best to replace they were suppose to contact me back they haven't yet. I will call them Monday. But I should not have to pay the difference from the drop pearl to the near round one.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock

Did they charge you to replace the pearl?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I think that pearl has great charm. It has a lovely color and is lustrous, and the fat drop shape is just plain cute! The strand has other drop shaped pearls, to my eye, but that one would be my favorite! :mrgreen2:

I would want to retain that pearl, but maybe rearrange the strand so that the two pearls on either side of the center are more nearly similar. You could move the fat drop back to another location in the strand, but if it were me, I'd leave that pearl there (just because I like it so much) and instead move the pearl that is on the left of center to another location, because it's a little shorter than some of the other pearls and that makes it look a little smaller. The pearl I think I'd swap locations with is the pearl that is the 4th from the center on the right. The color isn't much different, and the pearl that is left of center now would go well in the other pearl's current location.

Things like this can bug me, too. I have restrung many of my strands myself, rearranging them to suit my eye better.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Heart2pearls, the blue keshi pearl (which had lovely color) on my 22 inch harvest strand drove me crazy because I could look down and see it. The pearl rubbed against a neighboring pearl. Here are some before pictures:

IMG_8349 (2).JPG

IMG_8337 (2).JPG

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think that pearl has great charm. It has a lovely color and is lustrous, and the fat drop shape is just plain cute! The strand has other drop shaped pearls, to my eye, but that one would be my favorite! :mrgreen2:

I would want to retain that pearl, but maybe rearrange the strand so that the two pearls on either side of the center are more nearly similar. You could move the fat drop back to another location in the strand, but if it were me, I'd leave that pearl there (just because I like it so much) and instead move the pearl that is on the left of center to another location, because it's a little shorter than some of the other pearls and that makes it look a little smaller. The pearl I think I'd swap locations with is the pearl that is the 4th from the center on the right. The color isn't much different, and the pearl that is left of center now would go well in the other pearl's current location.

Things like this can bug me, too. I have restrung many of my strands myself, rearranging them to suit my eye better.

THIS! That was the exact pearl I was thinking it would swap nicely with. Looked to be a better match that way. Also, who did you speak with at PP? You might ask to speak with Jeremy (owner) and send him the photos and see what he says.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock

Thanks =) great suggestion. What limits me from swapping the pearl is because it's a graduated strand. But will definitely look at my strand and see the possibilities. Meanwhile I am waiting on PP to contact me and tell me what they have to offer .

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
Heart2pearls, the blue keshi pearl (which had lovely color) on my 22 inch harvest strand drove me crazy because I could look down and see it. The pearl rubbed against a neighboring pearl. Here are some before pictures:

IMG_8349 (2).JPG

IMG_8337 (2).JPG
OH Yes that would definitely drive me crazy too LOL I am a little bit of a perfectionist with things . =)
Thanks for sharing! =)

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock

I love that pearl but what bothers me the most is that I paid and wanted a near round strand and I got a few of more drop shape.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
THIS! That was the exact pearl I was thinking it would swap nicely with. Looked to be a better match that way. Also, who did you speak with at PP? You might ask to speak with Jeremy (owner) and send him the photos and see what he says.
pinkjewel yes when I called he was not available so I figured Mia would help. She has been there many years. I figured Jeremy would not like to be bothered with such minor task.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that pearl but what bothers me the most is that I paid and wanted a near round strand and I got a few of more drop shape.

A few years ago I bought a near-round Tahitian strand from someone who had bought it from PP during one of the Tahitian sales. It has some drop shaped pearls in it. There is a fine line between near round and drop, but if there are multiple pearls you don't like the shape of, you may be happier just sending it back and getting another strand that is more to your taste rather than trying to swap out multiple pearls.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
A few years ago I bought a near-round Tahitian strand from someone who had bought it from PP during one of the Tahitian sales. It has some drop shaped pearls in it. There is a fine line between near round and drop, but if there are multiple pearls you don't like the shape of, you may be happier just sending it back and getting another strand that is more to your taste rather than trying to swap out multiple pearls.
Yes agreed =) but that particular pearl shape bothers me the most. Will wait for Mia to contact me if they can replace that one. Then I will be happy. I wanna keep that strand because I love the pop/variety of pretty colors it has. Thanks for your suggestions and help =)
Will keep you guys posted on it .

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think in the end you need to do what will make you happy. If that means paying to upgrade the pearl because you love the rest of the strand, then that’s what you should do (I’ve had PP do that and have paid extra for it, as strands are priced as is - drop pearls and all - not by the individual pearl, meaning the price you paid was in consideration of that one pearl and would have been slightly less than a similar but more symmetrically round strand). If it means returning the strand for another one that is rounder in the front, then don’t talk yourself out of it or you’ll always feel
sorry.

Personally I like that pearl because it has great luster, and I bet it looks round on the neck from conversational distance, but if it bugs you, don’t be deterred from addressing it.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
I think in the end you need to do what will make you happy. If that means paying to upgrade the pearl because you love the rest of the strand, then that’s what you should do (I’ve had PP do that and have paid extra for it, as strands are priced as is - drop pearls and all - not by the individual pearl, meaning the price you paid was in consideration of that one pearl and would have been slightly less than a similar but more symmetrically round strand). If it means returning the strand for another one that is rounder in the front, then don’t talk yourself out of it or you’ll always feel
sorry.

Personally I like that pearl because it has great luster, and I bet it looks round on the neck from conversational distance, but if it bugs you, don’t be deterred from addressing it.

Thanks for your suggestion =) I have 90 days to decided and meanwhile waiting on PP to contact me back with options. Will keep you posted on my final result. =)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are lots of drop shapes in the necklace to my eye as well. If it bothers you then ask for some photos of other strands .. perhaps there is one that is more to your liking. But never keep a strand that bothers you.

mtsapphire - I would have wanted to swap that one out as well .. don't know why it wasn't drilled end to end..unless its concave .. would have driven me crazy too lol

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
Ok guys ,PP sent me photos of another strand which I am thinking of exchanging for the one I have now. The one I have now is lighter but does not show colors like the one in photos.
Do you think these are too dark to show the colors? Do you have a strand similar to this one? Thoughts on it?
https://p4.zdusercontent.com/attach...9h0nHNTgoqlmGXnFY4WZ7A.dsfV0389ksu2zwSKbpfsaQ
https://p4.zdusercontent.com/attach...ea77ECPg8R1oTZRuh3xTFw.forGGtefa_j2ryKDyoystQ
https://p4.zdusercontent.com/attach...PY7x2H51xxwhon8M6Kb8ag.fst5YIb2GhXte_hFuDUZhQ

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful round strand! How is it described-- as multicolor, or another body color (dark, or green, or gray, or black?) In other words, are those colors you see there body colors or are they overtone colors?

If it's a multicolor strand, then it will look multicolor in all lighting. If it's not multicolor, then the lighting will have a significant effect on the overtone colors you see.

If it's not being called a multicolor strand, my gut feeling (based on dark body color baroque pearls I have) is that you will primarily see those colors indoors in natural, diffuse light. Outdoors, in bright sunlight, and under bright indoor lights the strand will probably look dark, almost black.

Overtones are primarily seen when the light is diffuse. Also, pearls with lighter body colors tend to show their overtone colors more than darker body color strands do. Were the photos taken in "normal light" or under studio lights? I don't see prominent shadows so I'm guessing they were taken under some sort of diffuse light to better show the colors.

Also, on some of the pearls it's pretty obvious there are overtones-- like the peacock overtones on the left-center pearl and the bluish overtones on the pearl 2 pearls to the right of that peacock one-- and the one to the right of that.

That said, it's a very pretty necklace!

Last edited:

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
A beautiful round strand! How is it described-- as multicolor, or another body color (dark, or green, or gray, or black?) In other words, are those colors you see there body colors or are they overtone colors?

If it's a multicolor strand, then it will look multicolor in all lighting. If it's not multicolor, then the lighting will have a significant effect on the overtone colors you see.

If it's not being called a multicolor strand, my gut feeling (based on dark body color baroque pearls I have) is that you will primarily see those colors indoors in natural, diffuse light. Outdoors, in bright sunlight, and under bright indoor lights the strand will probably look dark, almost black.

Overtones are primarily seen when the light is diffuse. Also, pearls with lighter body colors tend to show their overtone colors more than darker body color strands do. Were the photos taken in "normal light" or under studio lights? I don't see prominent shadows so I'm guessing they were taken under some sort of diffuse light to better show the colors.

In the description it only say "This strand features mutlicolor Tahitian pearls." Pretty sure the photos were taken indoor with studio light. So yes I am afraid of returning the one I have and find this one to dark . I am unsure of what to do :think: What questions should I ask them?

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The strand you are considering is beautiful. However, all the photos appear to have been taken in the "light box" or similar ideal situation. The strand under consideration will probably only look like that under ideal situations in real life.

Pearlsngems makes some very good points. If the body colors are not all the same the strand should have some variety in appearance in most light.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
The strand you are considering is beautiful. However, all the photos appear to have been taken in the "light box" or similar ideal situation. The strand under consideration will probably only look like that under ideal situations in real life.

Pearlsngems makes some very good points. If the body colors are not all the same the strand should have some variety in appearance in most light.
Ok may I ask ,would you keep the one I have right now? When you have a strand like the one I have now can they be more colorful or lighter Tahitian will appear like this?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So they called it multicolor-- that is good. I would ask for a couple of photos in "normal light" before deciding. Be up front about the fact that you need a better idea of how they will look under normal lighting conditions.

Still, you don't sound excited about them. That is what concerns me. You are not limited to those two strands! If neither one thrills you, personally I'd return the one you have and keep looking. I have seen more colorful strands. A few folks bought multicolor strands from Cees Van Oije (Amsterdam Pearlsl) that made my eyes pop.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
So they called it multicolor-- that is good. I would ask for a couple of photos in "normal light" before deciding. Be up front about the fact that you need a better idea of how they will look under normal lighting conditions.

Still, you don't sound excited about them. That is what concerns me. You are not limited to those two strands! If neither one thrills you, personally I'd return the one you have and keep looking. I have seen more colorful strands. A few folks bought multicolor strands from Cees Van Oije (Amsterdam Pearlsl) that made my eyes pop.

I do not own many Tahitians I was just wondering if lighter ones can still be more colorful then the necklace I have now. Thanks pearlsngems for replying =)2

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think they can be more colorful.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok may I ask ,would you keep the one I have right now? When you have a strand like the one I have now can they be more colorful or lighter Tahitian will appear like this?

The strand you currently own is lovely. However, it seems the shapes bothered you. Is that correct?

If you really want a round strand then the strand you posted might fit the bill. I imagine though that the strand is more expensive.

I think it is hard to really know how pearls perform until you see them in person. I would ask for a few pictures of the pearls under different light. You also could ask to see other strands.

You asked me what I would do...that's hard because what is most important to me might not be the same for you. And, sadly, price point is a real factor for most of us. :cry2: Otherwise, I would want both strands. =) One thing is that round has a more formal look to it. My life and work is casual so I do not have many round pearls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results